ADVERTISEMENT

" At some point, George Barnett, Brian Ferentz and the Iowa offense are going to have to settle in to their top 5 (OL) and let them gel."

paladinhawk

HR Legend
Feb 4, 2004
Thread title from a blog post on a competing site. I could see how having players switch positions on the line could be harmful, but is it really a bad thing to have 7 or 8 players getting a lot of reps?

Doesn't that keep players from getting as tired?

Reactions: Torg
Listen...I'm going to let the coaches go with this as I'm beginning to think they may know more than us and have legitimate reasons for doing so.

I want you to know...I didn't always feel this way.

Going into this year...I was pissed that we didn't pick up one or two defensive tackles via the transfer portal. There were a number of DTs with experience and size available and we didn't land any or even appear to go after very many. I'm beginning to think the coaching staff knew what they were doing and had a good idea that Lee, Black, and Van Ness were going to be pretty good...coupled with Shannon, Van Valkenburg and Waggoner. I'm hopeful Logan Jones is close now too after his injury.

I'm warming up to the idea that the coaches may actually have a better feel for this than the posters on here...not sold on it yet...but this may be the first evidence they are on the right track. :)

I’ll trust the coaches to know what’s best, rather than a bunch of us who see about 1% of what the coaches see every year (even if you watch every play of every game, which most of us do).

"Let them gel"

tuesday.gif

I have to admit that I am shocked to see Shooter as the starting LG and Cody Ince as the back-up, when the RG is a true freshman. Before the year started we ( at least I did) thought Ince, Linderbaum and Shooter were going to make a superb interior OL.

So is Colby that good or is Ince possibly a little dinged up? Not sure, but I am glad at this point Colby has been in there when the bullets were flying. Even when he made mistakes, he has to have learned from them.

Just in time, hopefully. 🙏

Listen...I'm going to let the coaches go with this as I'm beginning to think they may know more than us and have legitimate reasons for doing so.

Going into this year...I was pissed that we didn't pick up one or two defensive tackles via the transfer portal. There were a number of DTs with experience and size available and we didn't land any or even appear to go after very many. I'm beginning to think the coaching staff knew what they were doing and had a good idea that Lee, Black, and Van Ness were going to be pretty good...coupled with Shannon, Van Valkenburg and Waggoner. I'm hopeful Logan Jones is close now too after his injury.

I'm warming up to the idea that the coaches may actually have a better feel for this than the posters on here...not sold on it yet...but this may be the first evidence they are on the right track. :)
I agree. So far, they have been less than predictable. Almost by design!

I agree. It looks like this staff has figured out a way to take the next man in to a new level, at least on the lines right now. A lot of teams say next man in, but the overwhelming majority of the time there is a significant drop off.

By rotating guys in early, there is little to no drop off right now when one or two go down and have to miss time. Iowa has always been good recruiting and then developing the lines. I think they saw how rotating the d line (Which I believe was originally implemented to keep guys fresh. But the coaches may have stumbled on to something) has really sped up development and they may be trying it out on the offensive line to see if the same happens. To me, it appears to be working.

I think a year or two from now we won’t see any drop off when we lose players to graduation or the NFL on the o line similar to what we are seeing right now with the d line. When you have a bunch of player that you feel can play or are even a year away from playing, why not get them in there a little bit. At the very least, it shows those under developed players where they need to be and what they need to do to get there. It’s also probably easier to do on the lines vs skill positions.

I’d like to think that having rotations of guys on the Offensive/Defensive lines has to make it a little more difficult to scout us. It’s not like you can key in on the exact same guys tendencies. Not sure how big of a difference that makes, but it can’t hurt.

What was the trend during the Maryland game? Were we driving better with one set of guards than the other?

We have 4 solid Guards but shaky at the Tackle spots. I keep hoping we kick Colby out to RT because him and Britt on the right side are bulldozers in the run game. The coaches know better than me though and DeJong has been getting better

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT