ADVERTISEMENT

Baeball player's

BRANDONJ8

HR MVP
Gold Member
Mar 23, 2010
does any of them leave the program. since its dragging on to see who we get for a coach.

Originally posted by BRANDONJ8:

does any of them leave the program. since its dragging on to see who we get for a coach.
If they leave, it won't be because of that. The vast vast majority of college baseball transfers are due to receiving more scholarship money at the new school.

Also per a current Iowa baseball player, the team has already been told who the new coach is and an official announcement will come as soon as the final details of the contract are ironed out.

For a typical coaching search at the University of Iowa, this one has moved relatively quickly. With the 30-day advertising period required by the Office of EOD and the interview process that must be followed, the earliest a coach could be announced was late last week.

This post was edited on 7/10 1:44 PM by 73chief

Originally posted by 73chief:

If they leave, it won't be because of that. The vast vast majority of college baseball transfers are due to receiving more scholarship money at the new school.

Also per a current Iowa baseball player, the team has already been told who the new coach is and an official announcement will come as soon as the final details of the contract are ironed out.

For a typical coaching search at the University of Iowa, this one has moved relatively quickly. With the 30-day advertising period required by the Office of EOD and the interview process that must be followed, the earliest a coach could be announced was late last week.

So were these players happy with the hiring of their new coach?

Originally posted by Crazy Hawk:

Originally posted by 73chief:

So were these players happy with the hiring of their new coach?
Yes he was. that's the good news.

With that said, I have just found out in the last 2 hours that what I originally thought were very minor contractual differences that were being ironed out between Iowa and the coach being made the offer are apparently much more significant and the contract negotiations are at a halt. If true then we might actually be heading into reopening the search territory ala the volleyball coaching search from a few years ago.

Unfortunately I'm not kidding on this one. Might be getting ugly.

This search is already ugly. Iowa Athletic administration is in a mess. Not necessarily all teams but the administration is dysfunctional.

Who was the AD at the time during the volleyball search failure? I should remember but I can't.

Originally posted by Crazy Hawk:
Who was the AD at the time during the volleyball search failure? I should remember but I can't.
Barta...

Gary started August 1st 2006 while Dingman started in 2007. Barta is an asshat....Lickliter, volleyball debacle, softball, now baseball....

If Gary Barta would seriously look at guys like Marc Rardin or Dan Fitzgerald, I'd saw Iowa would have a baseball coach by now and we'd be extremely happy. Instead the morons that run our athletic program think they don't fit the "Iowa mold"

Under the current conditions at Iowa, if Barta wanted someone to come in and win and build that program, Marc would have been the guy. Sawyers? I'm not so sure.

I don't think some on this board are getting it: Iowa, with its lack of financial committment (ie new facilites, stadium, etc) is a dead end job.

Andy Sawyers, a mid level candidate with no head coaching experience, is the best you'd hope to get, and you may not get him.

If Sawyers is the guy; he would be an excellent coach and is a quality person with a lot of energy; players love him. He has big time coaching experience at Nebraska, KState and A&M. California background but loves the midwest. Very good recruiter.

Originally posted by Thegipper:

If Sawyers is the guy; he would be an excellent coach and is a quality person with a lot of energy; players love him. He has big time coaching experience at Nebraska, KState and A&M. California background but loves the midwest. Very good recruiter.
We need a coach who can:

1) Manage a roster, especially pitching staff, to get the most out of them week after week
2) Develop players (because we're never going to have a squad filled with All-Americans who were taken in the first 5-10 rounds of the MLB draft right out of high school)
3) Manage a game and make good gameday strategic decisions
4) Recruit and land the OCCASIONAL All-American type player to go along with the developmental players

Dahm was very good at #4 on this list and frankly, not much else. If the new guy is just another "good recruiter" with marginal managerial ability....we'll merely be trading 6 of something for a half-dozen of something else.

Originally posted by HeyDeyJay:

I don't think some on this board are getting it: Iowa, with its lack of financial committment (ie new facilites, stadium, etc) is a dead end job.

Andy Sawyers, a mid level candidate with no head coaching experience, is the best you'd hope to get, and you may not get him.

A mid-level candidate? He's been an assistant under two-time Big 12 COY Rob Childress at A&M and he oversaw recruiting at Nebraska in the early 2000s when they were perennial contenders for the conference championship. He has no head coaching experience but your love-boy Servais had never been a head coach at the Division 1 level until he replaced Dahm.

Need to give some credit to Sawyers for the success KState has experienced in recent years (Big XII Champs/Super Regionals). Most of those players were recruited by him.

Sawyers: mid level candidate spurns the Hawkeyes to stay an assistant at A&M. Who can blame him?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT