ADVERTISEMENT

Ben Kueter Update Request

In a NIL/portal universe, it’s dumb-as-a-rock stupid to redshirt kids who are ready, or in Kueter’s case, have a smaller window. To be totally epic, Feb 9 needs each of these gems:
Arnold/Starocci
Ferrari/Brooks
Kueter/Kerk
Love Ben, but I think the experience level, maturity, and size difference would make it a non competitive match.
Kerk is at a different level.

Love Ben, but I think the experience level, maturity, and size difference would make it a non competitive match.
Kerk is at a different level.
I agree, but I still want to see how he looks against the best in the country. Like others have said, who knows if he'll be around long enough to have a redshirt plus 4 seasons, so let's see what he's got. :)

I agree, but I still want to see how he looks against the best in the country. Like others have said, who knows if he'll be around long enough to have a redshirt plus 4 seasons, so let's see what he's got. :)
Agree 100% No redshirt, he will be gone to the NFL. I was just commenting on his "epic" match comment. I think Gabe can hang with Starfish and Ferrari with Brooks. Not so sure with Ben. Heavyweight is a different animal due to the weight spread.
Love to see him catch Kerk and stick him.
He definitely is a great athlete.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nashville_Hawkeye
Thanks @globalhawk. Has he remained in school or did he leave UNI. That would certainly impact eligibility (though I guess it may never matter anyway).

Leaving school does not impact his eligibility one iota. His clock started ticking once he started full time at UNI and it remains ticking.

Leaving school does not impact his eligibility one iota. His clock started ticking once he started full time at UNI and it remains ticking.
Yeah but while the clock keeps ticking, if he left school he is not progressing towards a degree. So in that respect his eligibility could be affected.

Reactions: eobhawk
Yeah but while the clock keeps ticking, if he left school he is not progressing towards a degree. So in that respect his eligibility could be affected.

Well said and an excellent point. I took the comment to mean not being in school put his eligibility on pause or something. Perhaps that wasn’t the intent of the comment.

Agree 100% No redshirt, he will be gone to the NFL. I was just commenting on his "epic" match comment. I think Gabe can hang with Starfish and Ferrari with Brooks. Not so sure with Ben. Heavyweight is a different animal due to the weight spread.
Love to see him catch Kerk and stick him.
He definitely is a great athlete.
Love Gabe. Will certainly be threatening top of podium several yrs for us. But there is no way he is even close with Cstsr. That kid is more dominant that SL was. Think of what spencer did to top kids. He recked them. Ctar will finish his career as a top 5 all time. 174 clears out after this yr and gabe will be top contender. Not now though imo. They are at two completely different levels as of now. The match id love to see is gabe now vs cstar as a fresh. Now that may be competitive but not now. Jmo

I think it is wrong that KF didn’t let Kueter loose right after the Nebraska game. Unless KF asked him and he turned it down, I don’t see what the purpose of keeping him on bowl prep was as he didn’t even play special teams this year.
If true he didn’t see the field even on special teams, that’s sad considering the 4 game rule for true FR. Is that typical under KF?

If true he didn’t see the field even on special teams, that’s sad considering the 4 game rule for true FR. Is that typical under KF?
I think he may have played special team a couple times this season but nothing significant. Typically under Ferentz guys who are in line to see the field the following year get a lot of special teams reps. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: McUSA

There are commonly true freshman on special teams at Iowa. Nestor played a lot on coverage units this season, for instance.

What’s sad about it? Should they randomly put a guy on the field because of a freshman rule or should they put the right players on the field?

He Left school. Went back to UNI a year later to give it another shot and has left again so I think he’s done for good now

Reactions: globalhawk
There are commonly true freshman on special teams at Iowa. Nestor played a lot on coverage units this season, for instance.

What’s sad about it? Should they randomly put a guy on the field because of a freshman rule or should they put the right players on the field?
Quite common these days for coaches to utilize that rule to get FR game time experience. Especially high impact athletes. No different than wrestling.

Quite common these days for coaches to utilize that rule to get FR game time experience. Especially high impact athletes. No different than wrestling.

Yeah they just throw them out there because they can. No other consideration goes into it.

Reactions: globalhawk
Football is paying the bills. He will be on the football team until the season is completely finished.

Reactions: Muscles1989
Yeah they just throw them out there because they can. No other consideration goes into it.
Yeah cuz considerations like game experience, speed of the game at this level, etc or just earning game time are overrated anyway.

Look man I get it not seeing the field when every game is tightly contested which was pretty much most of their games due to lack of offensive production. However many coaches are finding ways to get their young talent game time experience (btw good for recruiting). I was surprised not to see him, along with some others, find the field when the bowl game was out of hand. Not even a series. If that’s how KF rolls then fine but maybe there could have been a better plan to give your JR world champ recruit mat time for a team that needs him this season!

Yeah cuz considerations like game experience, speed of the game at this level, etc or just earning game time are overrated anyway.

Look man I get it not seeing the field when every game is tightly contested which was pretty much most of their games due to lack of offensive production. However many coaches are finding ways to get their young talent game time experience (btw good for recruiting). I was surprised not to see him, along with some others, find the field when the bowl game was out of hand. Not even a series. If that’s how KF rolls then fine but maybe there could have been a better plan to give your JR world champ recruit mat time for a team that needs him this season!
He is on a full-ride scholarship for football. This isn't difficult.

Reactions: blhawk

Playing time is earned. They aren’t going to throw a kid out there for charity special teams snaps because he might be a good player someday. And especially not if the game is close (which as you noted almost all of them are).

Well said and an excellent point. I took the comment to mean not being in school put his eligibility on pause or something. Perhaps that wasn’t the intent of the comment.
Yeah, I was thinking along the lines of what @moug said in his response. I should have clarified that. The end comment about that maybe it wouldn't matter was more along the lines of him maybe not being in good standing with the coaching staff even if he wanted to come back.

Reactions: SPOONER
I get it, but being he hadn’t played, I would have thought KF would have cut him loose to allow him to get ready for wrestling.
I'm not sure you do get it. Its all about player development and helping him get ready to contribute in the future, not what playing time he can get in 1 bowl game. Those bowl prep practices are vital for that and the trip to FL is a good teambuilder and reward for the hard work of the season

I watched a few of Hutmacher’s matches in high school. He had size advantage and simply overpowered opponents. I remember wondering how he would fare if someone could make him work for three rounds. Kueter vs. Hut would be interesting to say the least.

Bowl game prep practices are a great time for younger guys to get reps, gives them an opportunity to get a head start on the next season. It’s also a reward to go down to the bowl game with the team. The trips themselves are a lot of fun and great team bonding time.

I'm not sure you do get it. Its all about player development and helping him get ready to contribute in the future, not what playing time he can get in 1 bowl game. Those bowl prep practices are vital for that and the trip to FL is a good teambuilder and reward for the hard work of the season

Yup...its a whole process above and beyond a normal gameday routine. Have fun but stick to business and make sure you don't get the doors blown off you in a New Year's bowl ga....oops.

Not a BK question per se, but related to HWT and I really don't want to start a new thread. What ever happened to Chet Buss at UNI? He was an Iowa small class monster and certainly looked the part of a starter kit for a traditional HWT. This would be his second year at UNI and he hasn't been listed on the roster. Did he hang it up?
I heard from someone who had a class with him last year he wasn't much of a student.

Reactions: RobinHawk7
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT