ADVERTISEMENT

Biden administration cancels $1.2 billion in student loans six months ahead of schedule

QChawks

HR King
Feb 11, 2013
Quad Cities
Mrs QC had one of her loans wiped out, thanks Joe!

WASHINGTON — The Biden administration said it will begin notifying around 153,000 borrowers on Wednesday that their student loans have been canceled as part of a new repayment plan that's taking effect nearly six months ahead of schedule.
Loan forgiveness was originally set to begin in July under the new SAVE repayment plan, but it was accelerated to provide faster relief to borrowers, President Joe Biden announced last month. It’s part of an effort “to act as quickly as possible to give more borrowers breathing room” and move on from their student debt, the Democratic president said in a statement.

Borrowers were eligible for student loan relief if they had enrolled in the new SAVE plan, if they originally borrowed $12,000 or less to attend college, and if they have made at least 10 years of payments.
In total, the Biden administration said it has now approved nearly $138 billion in debt relief for around 3.9 million Americans.
Tens of thousands of borrowers enrolled in the SAVE plan who will have their debt cancelled starting this week will receive an email Wednesday informing them of their imminent relief, the White House explained.
Next week, the Department of Education plans to reach out directly to borrowers who are eligible for early relief but not currently enrolled in the SAVE Plan to encourage them to enroll.
Those who took out more than $12,000 will be eligible for cancellation but on a longer timeline. For each $1,000 borrowed beyond $12,000, it adds an additional year of payments on top of 10 years.
The maximum repayment period is capped at 20 years for those with only undergraduate loans and 25 years for those with any graduate school loans.

Borrowers were eligible for student loan relief if they had enrolled in the new SAVE plan, if they originally borrowed $12,000 or less to attend college, and if they have made at least 10 years of payments.

It's been 25 years since I was in college, costs went up, whatever, but can someone please explain to me how you still owe money if you borrowed less than $12k and have been paying for 10 years? Sounds like wasted education, or they should have thrown in a personal finance class or two.

It's been 25 years since I was in college, costs went up, whatever, but can someone please explain to me how you still owe money if you borrowed less than $12k and have been paying for 10 years? Sounds like wasted education, or they should have thrown in a personal finance class or two.
Killer compound interest rates + entering the job market in a big recession + COVID. Things happen.

A have a lot more sympathy than most for our current student loan indentured servitude problem, but this basically living without cable, brewing your own coffee, and not buying soda at the gas station. My sympathy goes out the window for this crowd

• Haha
Reactions: FlickShagwell
"Look, I just can't do that. The president doesn't have the power to just free people of their student debt. It's not my...wait...I'm getting smashed in the polls? Well, how about if I just give out $5-$10 billion? That should be worth a point or two in the polls. And it's totally within my power to do so! And no, I never said it wasn't!"

Smart political move. It'll be after the election by the time it hits legal troubles (if someone choses to challenge it).

Good for the people it helped.

Reactions: drew_hawk

25 years was a long time ago. Costs have skyrocketed compared to the late 90s

Honestly it sounds like you are the one with wasted education if you cannot figure this out. Sorry if that's harsh but glass houses and all that.

25 years was a long time ago. Costs have skyrocketed compared to the late 90s
The eligibility was less than $12k in loans and 10 years of payments. These weren’t the people taking out 100k in loans, it was less than 12k. 5 dollars a day pays that off.

Biden inflationary costs are slamming everyone, not just those with student loans.
Do you really care about the validity behind anything you say? One of the lowest inflation rates, lowest jobless rates, and highest GDP growth rates in the developed world. Maybe if we're lucky we can experience a major recession like we did towards the end of the last guy's reign. That will bring prices down and make you happy.

You can tell how much positive political scoring is done by the amount of faux outrage generated by the opposing party. Judging from this thread, it looks like this loan forgiveness might be a hit.

I'm not a fan of it, but $1 billion isn't exactly a lot in the big picture and if it actually helps anyone who was struggling then its a good thing. Those who are throwing out national debt number and saying Biden is picking winners and losers forget Trump put his name on COVID relief checks, bailed out farmers and gave permanent tax cuts to corporations but expiring cuts to individuals. I guess they were quiet about that because it was their guy.

Politics today is a slugfest, both sides will trade punches the other will call them a cheap shot or low blow, but in the end it is who is victorious in November.

Love it. Why do people get mad when something is done that helps working class/middle class people? That is whom typically has these loans. There are few complaints about corporate welfare, wealthy tax cuts, and handouts to farmers with millions of dollars of resources.

Love it. Why do people get mad when something is done that helps working class/middle class people? That is whom typically has these loans. There are few complaints about corporate welfare, wealthy tax cuts, and handouts to farmers with millions of dollars of resources.
We have bootstraps!

Reactions: Bearhawk0505
Every American should be able to go to private school for four years, jack off in Europe for another semester and have the tax payers pay for it all.

Nobody is deep in debt that went to junior college for two years and a state school they reside in for the final two years.

I would stop giving government loans out for more than what junior college costs the first two years and for what state school costs the final two years. If private companies want to loan more that’s fine but allow bankruptcy to wipe them clean. See how many jump into that pool.

Maybe we need a cashless society so everything can be regulated. Sorry, you took out a student loan, no spring break airline tickets for you, sorry you can’t go into this bar because they charge a cover charge and you took out a loan, sorry no beer for you.

Reactions: ICHerky
Probably because these same working class/middle class people have pride and are responsible adults.
Now you’re wanting to make them not have that pride and hard work ethic and turn them into a bunch of lazy worthless sacks of waste that think they will just have stuff handed to them.

Can someone tell me why we don't have tuition free public colleges/universities. Seems like a good investment to me. Maybe the countries who do it just don't understand how "skin in the game" works. Like you don't go into major debt for college then how are they supposed to get you to eat shit day in and day out and not complain?

My wife borrowed 10k a year for a total of 40k. It took us 20 years to pay it off. The loan companies are a blight on this country.
I went back to school in Jan 2020, finished in the spring of 2022.

Mohela can rot in hell. I have had to call them every month since i have been making payments, usually waiting on hold for an hour each time because they never apply my payments I make online correctly, or towards the amount due that month.

Give me the sob story of crushing loan debt from somebody that went to junior college and followed it up with two years at their local state school.

Fill out that FAsfa and if you’re truly hurting financially you can do pretty well in free money. You can easily pay for JUCO while working part time also.

Can someone tell me why we don't have tuition free public colleges/universities. Seems like a good investment to me. Maybe the countries who do it just don't understand how "skin in the game" works. Like you don't go into major debt for college then how are they supposed to get you to eat shit day in and day out and not complain?
Or perhaps cut down on the amount of schooling a person needs for a bachelors degree. Why do you basically need 2 years of gen ed classes that are just a waste of time and money.
Go to school for what you want to do and get out with less debt.
And do you really even need to go to college for about half of the degrees that are offered at universities?
Most college degrees are greatly over rated.
I’ve worked with people that have degrees and I’m not even sure they know how to count.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT