ADVERTISEMENT

New Story BRACKETOLOGY THREAD

Adam Jacobi

HR MVP
Staff
Dec 30, 2022
Some mighty interesting MBB brackets out today -- Iowa obviously didn't get dinged for losing at Purdue, because duh, and somehow this team that was sitting at 8-6 (0-3) just a month-and-a-half ago is now projecting to a 6 or 7 seed.

Bracket Matrix Composite (Feb. 9): 7-seed, avg. seed of 6.79

Bennett (Athletic) (Feb. 10): 6-seed vs. Boise State (Greensboro, opposite Virginia-Colgate)

Lunardi (ESPN) (Feb. 10): 6-seed vs. New Mexico/Kentucky (Orlando, opposite Baylor-Furman)

DeCourcy (TSN/FOX/BTN) (Feb. 10): 7-seed vs. Nevada (no site projected, opposite Tennessee-Youngstown State)

Palm (CBS) (Feb. 10): 7-seed vs. Arkansas (Des Moines, opposite Virginia-Colgate)

Dobbertean (SBN) (Feb. 10): 7-seed vs. USC (Denver, opposite Texas-Youngstown State)

More info here, and yes, we talk about that matchup DeCourcy sets up:

Some mighty interesting MBB brackets out today -- Iowa obviously didn't get dinged for losing at Purdue, because duh, and somehow this team that was sitting at 8-6 (0-3) just a month-and-a-half ago is now projecting to a 6 or 7 seed.

More info here, and yes, we talk about that matchup DeCourcy sets up:

Oh man, I thought it was going to be with Kentucky on a 7-10 line. Playing Nevada would be freaking sweet.

Reactions: Bishop1971
2/15 UPDATE: Slight dip in average seeding from last week, and I'm sure you know who to blame:

Some small dips from Iowa in this latest batch of metrics, some of which are a natural result of only having played Minnesota since the last update and some of which come from some unfavorable results from around the country.

Iowa State has lost four of five, including a home loss to Oklahoma State on Saturday. Of course, the Big 12 is plausibly the most competitive conference, top-to-bottom, that college basketball has ever seen — the only reason anyone's winning that league is because someone has to — but seeing some gleam taken off Iowa's crown jewel non-conference win isn't great.

Ditto for Clemson, who has lost three straight in the ACC and is suddenly a real threat to miss the NCAA tournament, despite rushing out to a 10-1 record in conference play before this slide. Nobody ever thought Clemson was a high-seed candidate in the NCAA or anything, but even after occupying the ACC penthouse for most of conference play, the 20-point drubbing UNC handed to Clemson on Saturday has pushed the Tigers' KenPom rank down to 80, their lowest of the season.

Seton Hall is still a "next four out"-level team. TCU is in danger of slipping to a consensus 6 seed. Duke is one of the safest bubble teams, but still: a bubble team. Very few favors being done here for Iowa's non-conference resume.

Bracketology Watch, 2/15: Chasing the Double-Bye

Does it really matter, we’ll get bounced the first game anyway! Yes I’m still bitter about last year!!!!
Last year hurt because there was a "team of destiny" vibe coming out of the B1G Tourney. This year hopefully makes up for it all in spades with an unexpected run. My expectations are mild while still seeing there is reason for optimism.

I would pay good money to beat Alford
You and so, so many others.

Can't say for sure whether he's the most universally despised former coach by a fanbase (like presumably there's nobody in Waco defending Dave Bliss), but taking one of his teams down in the NCAA tournament would be something close to a state holiday.

(I do not want to spend time thinking about the repercussions of the game going... the other way.)

Can't say for sure whether he's the most universally despised former coach by a fanbase (like presumably there's nobody in Waco defending Dave Bliss), but taking one of his teams down in the NCAA tournament would be something close to a state holiday.

(I do not want to spend time thinking about the repercussions of the game going... the other way.)
Fran losing to Alford in the first round of the tournament? Yea... that would be a multi-leveled nightmare.

Back to happy thoughts

Reactions: longliveCS40
Fran losing to Alford in the first round of the tournament? Yea... that would be a multi-leveled nightmare.

Back to happy thoughts
It's sort of like letting your life savings ride on one spin of a roulette wheel. Best day of your life if it hits, but...

Reactions: longliveCS40
I know Alford was revered in New Mexico as the Lobo's coach. They used to show up here bragging on it being their gain that he "dumped" Iowa for them. But six years seems to be his limit at any one stop (we were the exception at eight). Wonder what they think of him now that he jumped ship to UCLA. And UCLA fans weren't all that thrilled at his hiring, so they probably weren't too bent out of shape when he was summarily fired before the conference season and left there for Nevada. Interestingly enough, he left every school having posted a winning record.

I know Alford was revered in New Mexico as the Lobo's coach. They used to show up here bragging on it being their gain that he "dumped" Iowa for them. But six years seems to be his limit at any one stop (we were the exception at eight). Wonder what they think of him now that he jumped ship to UCLA. And UCLA fans weren't all that thrilled at his hiring, so they probably weren't too bent out of shape when he was summarily fired before the conference season and left there for Nevada. Interestingly enough, he left every school having posted a winning record.
I honestly think he's probably a much better coach these days than he was at Iowa. However, he's still Steve Alford the person so there's a lot to hate.

Alford was really nice to me although i was introduced to him by Coach Jacobsen from UNI as the biggest hawkeye fan he knew. I also recognize that all the negative stories about him are probably all true. I'd get more from beating Lickliter but he'll never see the tournament as a head coach.

And I'll say this one more time after this before the tourny starts. The big 12 is overrated. If they get 2 teams in the sweet 16 I'll be surprised.

Reactions: CookyMonster
Alford was really nice to me although i was introduced to him by Coach Jacobsen from UNI as the biggest hawkeye fan he knew. I also recognize that all the negative stories about him are probably all true. I'd get more from beating Lickliter but he'll never see the tournament as a head coach.

Steve and especially Tanya went out of their way to be nice to my family, so I’ll always appreciate that. I know most of his former players loved playing for him too, with a few exceptions.

I’d personally think Lickliter would be the most universally despised coach for Iowa, and it shouldn’t even be that close.

Since it would mean playing in Des Moines, would you be ok if Iowa got 'screwed' by being slotted in the 8/9 game in Kansas' region?

* - assuming KU stays on the NCAA Committee's top line

Since it would mean playing in Des Moines, would you be ok if Iowa got 'screwed' by being slotted in the 8/9 game in Kansas' region?

* - assuming KU stays on the NCAA Committee's top line
I don't think Iowa can be too picky about seeding this year after losing to EIU, getting blown out at nebraska, and losing to penn state in a 3 game stretch.

ISU is likely to enter the Tournament with 12 losses and still a 3 seed? Must be that infamous Des Moines lobby. Still not sold on KState either.

Reactions: Bishop1971

Well he and the Mrs were Indiana red the whole time they we're in Iowa City, so that along with his arrogance and The PP thing its no wonder. If you need to hate him even more, his sons played for Him as well! Oh, the nepotism.. :p

I don't think Iowa can be too picky about seeding this year after losing to EIU, getting blown out at nebraska, and losing to penn state in a 3 game stretch.
Maybe so, BUT they sure as hell rebounded pretty well from that mess. Isn't that what good teams do?

Reactions: Garzatough85
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT