ADVERTISEMENT

Carl Davis Article

Really, Carl?!? Really?!? This supports some of the narrative around Big Carl's years at Iowa.

http://www.hngn.com/articles/92083/...d-only-play-50-percent-of-defensive-snaps.htm

If he really told teams that prior to the draft he isn't very bright. Unless he assumed they would find out anyway.

I assume their is an element of truth to this but this seems pretty unbelievable as a whole.

Had anyone else heard that he had a poor work ethic? I thought KF wouldn't let players like this see the field.

Ozzie Newsome and the Ravens org have been far too successful at drafting players to waste a 3rd round pick on someone who would say those things.

I can see some discussion from Carl about how his work ethic had evolved over his time in college. Any reference to or suggesting that a team shouldnt play him over a certain number of snaps? No chance.

Seems believable. He spent a lot of time on the bench last season, maybe believing his own headlines. I'm a fan, but I also saw it on the field.

Even if it fits a (false) narrative, there is no way a pro prospect sits down for an NFL interview and openly declares that he is only willing to work part-time. C'mon, this is complete BS.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
What is he supposed to say? You know NFL teams in an interview are going to ask him questions about why he has been labeled as not having a strong work ethic. If he says he had a great work ethic at Iowa he's a liar. But he has to give some sort of reason. Is this a good one? Absolutely not.

http://www.walterfootball.com/ws2015cdavis.php
Read this last week and I didn't know what to think.

It is the same article. Also, headline here is misleading. He allegedly said he didn't practice as hard, and that he should sit out half the snaps so that he can be fully effective when he is in. He does not appear to have said that he "takes snaps off", as in not working hard when he is in.

Should it be a concern? Sure, but it might not be exactly as some here are portraying.

It is the same article. Also, headline here is misleading. He allegedly said he didn't practice as hard, and that he should sit out half the snaps so that he can be fully effective when he is in. He does not appear to have said that he "takes snaps off", as in not working hard when he is in.

Should it be a concern? Sure, but it might not be exactly as some here are portraying.
Well, he landed in a pretty darn good spot to make an impact and make the money he seemed to crave more than the work to put in to make said money (see Scherff, Brandon). I for certain was turned off by Carl's commentary regarding his draft status, and if he was as good as he claimed to be, he'd have gotten picked a lot sooner. That translates to speculation in articles like the one posted. I don't recall any off-field issues that would enhance his falling in the draft, so after all the accolades he wracked up at the Senior Bowl, there appears to have been other reasons for the slide. It sure seems believable to me. Carl Davis is the only one who can change that perception of him, and I presume the "big boys" on the Ravens team will help Carl kick it in gear or they'll help kick him out the door. We shall see what transpires.

I remember Levar Woods going off on Carl during the Pitt game. Woods was screaming at Davis.. Woods followed Davis( in his ear) about 40yds to the DL bench .. Woods then yelled at Morgan to F&@!ing deal with Davis..Carl rode the pine pretty much the rest of the game after that..

As highly regarded as Reece Morgan is, it makes you wonder why he couldn't get Carl to play harder more often ?

Iowa has a kid with this much talent and plays hard for 6 or 7 plays a game and posters on this board over look it but Iowa has kids with less talent and going 100% on every play and they get there a$$ ripped on this board that's the kind of thing that just amazes me.

Some people just don't understand you can't miss a tackle when you stand up and watch the play.

I think this as well as many other individual items that have been coming to the surface add up to the fact that as a program we did not know how to handle success when we had it. The mindset from KF on down to the players is everyone doing their own thing and looking out for themselves.

The end result has been a mediocre product with highly inconsistent swings. Case and point last year when we drill NW then come out the next week and get drilled by Minny. Play one good half in some games and a stinker in the others.

This points back to the leadership from the AD to the head coach. Not accepting blame and unwilling to make changes until it's too late.

This has nothing all to do with coaching. If you can't play hard for Coach Morgan then you can't play hard for anyone. The tape doesn't lie. We'll miss Trinca's motor, but the rest of the def will be much improved. Your captains have to be the hardest workers in the weight room, on the practice field, and certainly on game day. That's why I think we'll be better on def next year. I know Meier, Ott, Perry, and Fisher and the other seniors will play their a$$es off.

This has nothing all to do with coaching. If you can't play hard for Coach Morgan then you can't play hard for anyone. The tape doesn't lie. We'll miss Trinca's motor, but the rest of the def will be much improved. Your captains have to be the hardest workers in the weight room, on the practice field, and certainly on game day. That's why I think we'll be better on def next year. I know Meier, Ott, Perry, and Fisher and the other seniors will play their a$$es off.

Once again, their is support for the 'our coaches are simply innocent bystanders' in the results yet we paid top dollar money to the head coach for something. Just not player evals, motivation or in game decisions. Blame goes to everyone else.

Not saying some blame shouldn't go to coaches for other things, but not at all for this one. Do you blame the Tennessee Titans when Albert Haynesworth decides he doesn't want to play hard because after he signed a fat contract? There has to be player accountability as well.

Slamming people for slamming people... I see the angle you are working there... Good work...

Not saying some blame shouldn't go to coaches for other things, but not at all for this one. Do you blame the Tennessee Titans when Albert Haynesworth decides he doesn't want to play hard because after he signed a fat contract? There has to be player accountability as well.
Not the point, but it was the Redskins he practically gave up on, not the Titans.

With the Titans he only tried to kill a guy by stomping on his forehead.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT