ADVERTISEMENT

Charlie Moore

HeRKeYHoPeFuL

HR MVP
Dec 5, 2007
Looks like he is available after Pastner left for Ga Tech. Is this the kid we recruited for PG before?

He is, and I think he was Mr. Basketball in Illinois (or PoY if that's different)? Recruitment by Iowa ended weird - we were in his top 5 but we backed off and took Bohannon. No reason we couldn't play small ball and have Moore, Bohannon/Ellingson, Jok, Baer/Uhl and Cook/Wagner/Pemsl. Fran likes playing 2 ballhandlers obvi.

He is, and I think he was Mr. Basketball in Illinois (or PoY if that's different)? Recruitment by Iowa ended weird - we were in his top 5 but we backed off and took Bohannon. No reason we couldn't play small ball and have Moore, Bohannon/Ellingson, Jok, Baer/Uhl and Cook/Wagner/Pemsl. Fran likes playing 2 ballhandlers obvi.
I was just going to post the same thing about Moore not going to stick with Memphis, but why would we go that lineup at all? If Moore decided to come here, and I'm not saying he would, but Bohannon would probably fall to the back of the pack as far as playing time is concerned. If Moss isn't playing quite a bit of 2 this next year I'll be disappointed. With Jok(3), Baer (3,4), Uhl(4), Jones(3,4), Cook/Wagner (5), our front court will be decent. Williams and Moore would fight out the PG duties.

The rumor seems to be that Fran was not comfortable dealing with some of his "handlers" and backed off. Don't know if that's true or not, but that seems to be the scuttlebutt.

Moore was a big recruit but McC dropped him faster than Cooney dropped Ken Norton. There must have been a reason. Of course that reason could have been the product of learning that Moore was going to Memphis.

There is room for him now so maybe. It will be interesting to see if Hawks go back after this guy.

Interesting, would love to have him but I'm assuming that bridge is probably burnt from one end or the other.

I heard on the score 670am that northwestern coach in contact with Charlie Moore . Just said in passing and asked whether Illinois coach Groce would be interested but then the jokes started about discounts with the bail bondsman came up

I think with Bohannon signing the Charlie Moore train left the station a long time ago. Williams showed some very good penetration skills when he played, I really like his length.

Highly agree. If Iowa goes after Moore, Bohannon should be looking elsewhere as well as he could not handle being buried behind Moore and Williams. I have met Charlie in person last March and to say 5'10" is a little generous.He is my height and I am still barely 5'9'" in shoes. I looked at Charlie directly. He is faster than Bohannon and can run circles around him. Bohannon is a more controlled (selective shooter but Charlie is not bad. Charlie would face difficulties against bigger stronger guards.

Looking at what Wisconsin, Michigan, Illinoisand MSU doing is they are going after taller PGs 6'1" + with more muscular frames. Iowa should be doing the same. C'mon Jordan Goodwin and Courtney Ramey.

Highly agree. If Iowa goes after Moore, Bohannon should be looking elsewhere as well as he could not handle being buried behind Moore and Williams. I have met Charlie in person last March and to say 5'10" is a little generous.He is my height and I am still barely 5'9'" in shoes. I looked at Charlie directly. He is faster than Bohannon and can run circles around him. Bohannon is a more controlled (selective shooter but Charlie is not bad. Charlie would face difficulties against bigger stronger guards.

Looking at what Wisconsin, Michigan, Illinoisand MSU doing is they are going after taller PGs 6'1" + with more muscular frames. Iowa should be doing the same. C'mon Jordan Goodwin and Courtney Ramey.
I don't think the two are mutually exclusive based on the skills you pointed out. Moore seems to me to be more of a pure PG with very good quickness and ability to get into the lane and not as great of a shooter. Bohanon seems more like a combo or SG. Not as quick but pretty good shooter. I thin they could play along side each other pretty effectively. That being said, it does sound like Fran likely isn't get involved on Moore again.

200w.gif

Moore would be a great get for you guys. I thought Fran said no to him because of his handler or something though?

Moore would be a great get for you guys. I thought Fran said no to him because of his handler or something though?
That's the word that's out there on the rumor mill. It's nice to see Cook recruiting, but I still think Moore is a very long shot.

Bohannon was a heck of a shooter in HS. If he can keep that up, he will play. He is a competitor. I highly doubt he will back down.

Reactions: ZumaHawk
That's the word that's out there on the rumor mill. It's nice to see Cook recruiting, but I still think Moore is a very long shot.

Interesting. If Fran didn't want to play dirty before I don't think he would want to play dirty now. Moore would fill a need though

Reactions: bdg8

Yeah, pretty much, it's just fun to see a current big-time signee trying to get a former big-time target to join him. I'll be mildly shocked if Moore ended up at Iowa.

Yeah, pretty much, it's just fun to see a current big-time signee trying to get a former big-time target to join him. I'll be mildly shocked if Moore ended up at Iowa.
Basically this. Frustrating as I think Moore is exactly what most here have been wanting out of a PG and exactly what we need. Great complement to the guys we already have on the team in terms of skill set.

Last edited:
Reactions: DenverTurtle
Interesting. If Fran didn't want to play dirty before I don't think he would want to play dirty now. Moore would fill a need though
This. It just seems so unlikely that if we decided to move on earlier that we would even consider taking time on the kid now. Clearly a very talented kid, but just might not be worth what it would take to land him

No one knows if we moved on could be we really wanted him and chose to go somewhere else but we still really want him if the opportunity should present itself

Nice article on another site (not sure the linking rules but shouldn't be hard to find) about Cook recruiting both Moore and Vital. The part I found most interesting is Cook saying he runs all of it, including that Instagram and Twitter post, past McCaffery:

"Cook is quick to point out that he always runs his intentions past coach Fran McCaffery and assistant Sherman Dillard.

“I consulted them before I reached out to (Moore),” Cook said. “I got the OK first from the big dogs.”

Reactions: DenverTurtle
Has Charlie narrowed down his list of schools he is interested in, and announced that yet?

I would like to know if we are on it. I would think we would be with having past connections. But more importantly, almost all of our back court minutes are available and up for grabs. That has to be attractive to any recruit coming in.

Moore would certainly help fill a gap. The rest of our team looks to have plenty of options.

Scott Burgess ‏@scottybscout 1 hour ago
Morgan Park 2016 PG Charlie Moore says he has offers from Seton Hall, Miami, SMU, Vanderbilt, Memphis, Georgia Tech, Missouri, & Iowa

Recent tweet regarding Moore. No idea who he is or the accuracy of his tweet. IA should stack up favorably against these other offers I would think.

No idea about his timetable and of course there are reports of others being interested who may not have yet offered.

Scott Burgess ‏@scottybscout 1 hour ago
Morgan Park 2016 PG Charlie Moore says he has offers from Seton Hall, Miami, SMU, Vanderbilt, Memphis, Georgia Tech, Missouri, & Iowa

Recent tweet regarding Moore. No idea who he is or the accuracy of his tweet. IA should stack up favorably against these other offers I would think.

No idea about his timetable and of course there are reports of others being interested who may not have yet offered.
get

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT