ADVERTISEMENT

Clark end of game

Feb 25, 2008
Missed FT potentially by design aside......boy would that have been an extremely rough f***ing way for her to end her career.

Standing and waiting for the ball, resigning herself to being locked down by her defenders and not making the extra effort to get open, or at the very f***ing least have it be stolen WHILE she was working hard to get open, and then standing there watching Stuelke get stuck on that turnover that led to the last 3 by UConn.

I could also point out that she should have conceded the layup rather than daring Muhl(?) to shoot that 3.

Hopefully she can take that coaching/criticism if our staff even mentions it, or at the very least make those mental adjustments so that the end of that UConn game isn't also the lasting images of her in a loss to to South Carolina, because we WILL f***ing lose if she can't step it up off the ball in late game situations against South Carolina (assuming it even comes to that).................

Missed FT potentially by design aside......boy would that have been an extremely rough f***ing way for her to end her career.

Standing and waiting for the ball, resigning herself to being locked down by her defenders and not making the extra effort to get open, or at the very f***ing least have it be stolen WHILE she was working hard to get open, and then standing there watching Stuelke get stuck on that turnover that led to the last 3 by UConn.

I could also point out that she should have conceded the layup rather than daring Muhl(?) to shoot that 3.

Hopefully she can take that coaching/criticism if our staff even mentions it, or at the very least make those mental adjustments so that the end of that UConn game isn't also the lasting images of her in a loss to to South Carolina, because we WILL f***ing lose if she can't step it up off the ball in late game situations against South Carolina (assuming it even comes to that).................
Yeah, she sucks….🙄

Why would you question her ability to take coaching let alone imagine she’s not already aware of her mistakes?

What DDean said. Give UConn some credit for playing great defense.
#10 that UConn put on CC was a really good defender. That being said, no one can play that type of d for the duration of a game. I was telling my family while watching the game that #10 was going to get tired and Iowa would have a better second half, which they did.

Last edited:
I'm watching the final 5 minutes a few times now. It would appear Clark deferred to Martin to make the plays to close out the game, which is so odd because I don't recall any game where this has happened. To Martin's credit, with the exception of her missed 3pt attempt she recognized it was up to her, and she made some elite shots.

Clearly Clark must have been feeling her miss on the little pull up runner at 1:30 because, despite her insisting that was the right read, i can't figure out why she gave up the ball to Stuelke on the closing possession. She could have made a run around Edwards to the hoop, and likely would have been fouled, but she was okay with someone else making a play.

Clark was just... off.
And she better be on tomorrow otherwise it's going to be a pretty sad game.

I'm watching the final 5 minutes a few times now. It would appear Clark deferred to Martin to make the plays to close out the game, which is so odd because I don't recall any game where this has happened. To Martin's credit, with the exception of her missed 3pt attempt she recognized it was up to her, and she made some elite shots.

Clearly Clark must have been feeling her miss on the little pull up runner at 1:30 because, despite her insisting that was the right read, i can't figure out why she gave up the ball to Stuelke on the closing possession. She could have made a run around Edwards to the hoop, and likely would have been fouled, but she was okay with someone else making a play.

Clark was just... off.
And she better be on tomorrow otherwise it's going to be a pretty sad game.
i think she said in the press conference the read was if she drove and someone came to help double team her, she was to pass to Stuelke.

The good news is that Geno Auriemma is a much better coach than Dawn Staley. The bad news is South Carolina has better players and more depth than UConn.
SC will have better depth, but I'm not sure about better players than UConn. SC doesn't have a Beuckers type player, which makes a huge difference in BB, imo. Iowa should have a shot.

Steulke had a great game. But I couldn’t believe they kept getting it into her hands away from the basket at the end of the game. She had 2 TO’s in the final minute?
Yeah the one at half court was brutal. With Lisa's and her staff's good coaching, I'm sure Hannah will learn to be stronger with the ball in those situations.

Reactions: Chuck C
i think she said in the press conference the read was if she drove and someone came to help double team her, she was to pass to Stuelke.
Yeah, she said that, and I think 90% of the time you want Clark making the read, but I think this is one of those times I'd expect her to want to drive and get to the line. It's all hindsight, but her decision to defer to other players to make plays to closeout a semi-final game surprised me. Seemed more like something we would see back in February.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT