ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Bluder

GunnerHawk

HR All-American
Mar 16, 2014
What a run she has had the last 10 years, Iowa has won 245 games and hopefully still counting. 18 ncaa invites over 24 years, Big Tourney winner 4 of last 6 years. Three all- Americans (Logic - 1, Gustafson -2, and Clark - 4) Several Big Ten player of the year awards - Gustafson and Clark, multiple all-Big Ten players (Logic - 2 years, Gustafson - 2 years, Doyle 1 year, Czinano - 4 years, Clark - 4 years).

She has been named Big Ten coach of the year three times and Naismith National coach of the year.

But all the accolades do not tell the whole story. She and her assistant coaches have a mission statement beyond basketball of developing young women to be leaders of the future. The family approach and closeness of the team is apparent.

We are fortunate she is the coach at Iowa.

Last edited:
What a run she has had the last 10 years, Iowa has won 245 games and hopefully still counting. 18 ncaa invites over 24 years, Big Tourney winner 4 of last 6 years. Three all- Americans (Logic - 1, Gustafson -2, and Clark - 4) Several Big Ten player of the year awards - Gustafson and Clark, multiple all-Big Ten players (Logic - 2 years, Gustafson - 2 years, Doyle 1 year, Czinano - 4 years, Clark - 4 years).

She has been named Big Ten coach of the year three times and Naismith National coach of the year.

But all the accolades do not tell the whole story. She and her assistant coaches have a mission statement beyong basketball of developing young women to be leaders of the future. The family approach and closeness of the team is apparent.

Great article by Chad Leistikow in tomorrow's P-C along those lines about the family approach and closeness of the team.

Press-Citizen Article

But all the accolades do not tell the whole story. She and her assistant coaches have a mission statement beyong basketball of developing young women to be leaders of the future. The family approach and closeness of the team is apparent.

Well spoken...

Reactions: Pawkhawk1

But all the accolades do not tell the whole story. She and her assistant coaches have a mission statement beyond basketball of developing young women to be leaders of the future. The family approach and closeness of the team is apparent.

Doyle was also B1G POTY.

24 years in and she has had detractors. A long time coach generally should get the benefit of the doubt always. She’s had a terrific 10 year run!

Reactions: Torg
It's well thought answers like this that impress me. It shows a level of awareness and understanding that you want in a coach. I'd encourage any daughter of mine to play for her.

It appears that she's gaining traction with top recruits, and it's fantastic that she is going after the top players in the country, recognizing the opportunity that is building.

Ehhhh. If this were about Fran, the final sentence would be. "So why is it that with all this talent she can't win the big one?"
Just sayin.

• Haha
Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
And your point is? She also had multiple sweet 16's, an elite 8 and National runner-up finish. Pretty good for a school that doesn't bring in a lot of five star talent.

I think the point was very clear. It took Bluder 15 seasons at Iowa to make it to a Sweet Sixteen.

I think the point was very clear. It took Bluder 15 seasons at Iowa to make it to a Sweet Sixteen.
I think you guys can both be right about this. She was decidedly mediocre for a long time (tho she did win a B1G title her first year, right?). Now she has certainly learned some lessons, took some lickings, and come out on the right side. You can’t argue that her results over the last 6 years haven’t been stellar tho — among the best in the country. We probably wouldn’t be here had Iowa moved on awhile ago. But we might not have been nobodies for so long either. Such is life. We are where we are now bc of Bluder — and the future looks very bright.

Lisa is a great coach and she really does do things the right way. About 15 years ago I was in Iowa city with my daughter and my niece, got them in to check out CHA. Coach Bluder passed as we were walking around the upper concourse. I said hi Coach and she turned and came over to talk to the girls. Spent all kinds of time with them. Not just superficial stuff, she really got them to talk about their plans, did they play sports, what about college etc. etc. Neither were into basketball, but she was more than happy to talk about volleyball, soccer and the opportunities there. I just stood back and watched. She was totally in recruiting mode.

Last edited:
I think you guys can both be right about this. She was decidedly mediocre for a long time (tho she did win a B1G title her first year, right?). Now she has certainly learned some lessons, took some lickings, and come out on the right side. You can’t argue that her results over the last 6 years haven’t been stellar tho — among the best in the country. We probably wouldn’t be here had Iowa moved on awhile ago. But we might not have been nobodies for so long either. Such is life. We are where we are now bc of Bluder — and the future looks very bright.
Why is winning two games in the NCAA the measure of mediocrity? Iowa got to the tournament all but 3 of those first 15, won in the first round half the time. That is really good.

Why is winning two games in the NCAA the measure of mediocrity? Iowa got to the tournament all but 3 of those first 15, won in the first round half the time. That is really good.
I’d say it’s good but not rly good. It depends on if you want to settle for being good or hope to be rly good. I would say Iowa State and Nebraska’s coaches (who have generally similar results as the Bluder era we’re discussing) are just good — not great — for example. Some definitely would say an NCAA second round appearance puts you in the top 32 teams, and that’s something to be proud of. Others would (and do) argue that that’s not rly a great ROI for what they’re paid.

I also think it’s one thing to have a few sweet 16 years and a few rebuilding years — that’s a sign of good coaching regardless of talent. But to be perpetually shut out of the sweet 16 can speak volumes about your ability to adjust/learn as well as grow your program.

Last edited:
With women’s basketball, there is a huge leap from 32 to 16. With the top 16 teams getting homecourt, being #17 still puts you at losing 60%+. With men’s neutral court, the 4/5 matchup is about 50/50

Reactions: TampaHawkfan
Ehhhh. If this were about Fran, the final sentence would be. "So why is it that with all this talent she can't win the big one?"
Just sayin.
If Fran had Bluder's post-season track record, I wouldn't be one of those people.

Yeah yeah, Bluder didn't make the S16 till her 14th year. I know.

With women’s basketball, there is a huge leap from 32 to 16. With the top 16 teams getting homecourt, being #17 still puts you at losing 60%+. With men’s neutral court, the 4/5 matchup is about 50/50
That's a great point. In the men's game, I've always viewed 8/9, 4/5, 1/2, 2/3 type games essentially as coin flips due to neutral court. Sure, some teams get a bigger draw based on location, but still.

In the women's game, you've definitely got to add in the home/road factor for those first two rounds. Does Iowa win that WVU game if it wasn't at home?

One big difference when comparing men’s vs women’s BB, Men can leave early for the NBA, Women are committed to 4 years of school.

Not sure if it was this article that referred to her recruiting methodology which includes watching potential recruit's demeanor when not on the court. When on the bench - do they exhibit excitement, are they supportive or sulk. ln other words, as I interpreted the meaning, are they team members?

There appears to be no jealousy and friction in the atmosphere in the Iowa's women program. Personally, I've wondered why Taylor hasn't earned more playing time. But Iowa has won 62 games in the past 2 years and Lisa Bluder knows what she's doing. The players must enjoy playing for her and how many transfers have we seen? And as more big-time recruits see Carver as an attractive place the program will grow in strength and exposure.

One big difference when comparing men’s vs women’s BB, Men can leave early for the NBA, Women are committed to 4 years of school.
True, but that rarely comes into play. Only 12 WNBA teams, you're not an instant millionaire if drafted, etc.

Not enough is said about the low outbound transfer rate. Iowa State WBB already has 4 kids in the portal for next year. I think last year they had 5 or 6.
Have you been to Ames? I don’t blame them.

Lisa is a great coach and she really does do things the right way. About 15 years ago I was in Iowa city with my daughter and my niece, got them in to check out CHA. Coach Bluder passed as we were walking around the upper concourse. I said hi Coach and she turned and came over to talk to the girls. Spent all kinds of time with them. Not just superficial stuff, she really got them to talk about their plans, did they play sports, what about college etc. etc. Neither were into basketball, but she was more than happy to talk about volleyball, soccer and the opportunities there. I just stood back and watched. She was totally in recruiting mode.
Cool story, bro. No seriously. Bluder sounds like good people.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT