ADVERTISEMENT

"Coach Copeland and Coach Ferentz have all my respect and trust. I’m a Hawk till I die."

I’m really impressed by these kids and ignoring their voices would not be correct. While some fans complain Kirk is not answering the “hard questions” good enough to the media, he seems to be successfully answering these questions to players and recruits. I guess there is still time for things to implode based on the decisions of the committee, but right now things seem under control the best they can be which means Kirk can be the guy to get though this.

Kirk’s comment that as coaches they need the right to be demanding, they can’t cross the line and be demeaning. Of all the comments on the topic, I think this one hits the nail on the head.

I’m really impressed by these kids and ignoring their voices would not be correct. While some fans complain Kirk is not answering the “hard questions” good enough to the media, he seems to be successfully answering these questions to players and recruits. I guess there is still time for things to implode based on the decisions of the committee, but right now things seem under control the best they can be which means Kirk can be the guy to get though this.

Kirk’s comment that as coaches they need the right to be demanding, they can’t cross the line and be demeaning. Of all the comments on the topic, I think this one hits the nail on the head.

That's what it really comes down to. All of us are not privy to the discussions that are taking place both within the team and with recruits, and for good reasons. If KF feels like they can't be demanding of players, then my guess is he will just say I'm out and not bother. Obviously in many cases over the past number of years, players have experienced more than that, hopefully the investigation will be able to determine how much and the specifics.

As a current coach with 40 years of coaching experience I want to share this with you.
Our coaching staff continually explains to our players the difference between coaching and criticizing....I shake my head
Everytime we do this,,, but ,,,we have to do it to show parents and administrators we are coaching in a sensitive manner.... Many times I will hear my own players express comments about how soft and sensitive this generation is.
The line is so fine nowadays on how we coach, when we can raise our voice, what we can and can’t say to these kids that sometimes it’s just easier to show up and not give a shit. You have parents that tell you to push the heck out of their kid,but as soon as you do/they are on your ass for doing what they asked you to do.
It’s just really hard balancing that line of pushing your players but not crossing the line. Obviously demeaning has no place in coaching.

As a current coach with 40 years of coaching experience I want to share this with you.
Our coaching staff continually explains to our players the difference between coaching and criticizing....I shake my head
Everytime we do this,,, but ,,,we have to do it to show parents and administrators we are coaching in a sensitive manner.... Many times I will hear my own players express comments about how soft and sensitive this generation is.
The line is so fine nowadays on how we coach, when we can raise our voice, what we can and can’t say to these kids that sometimes it’s just easier to show up and not give a shit. You have parents that tell you to push the heck out of their kid,but as soon as you do/they are on your ass for doing what they asked you to do.
It’s just really hard balancing that line of pushing your players but not crossing the line. Obviously demeaning has no place in coaching.
This. Kids need to understand if you’re on them about something it’s because you care and believe they can do better. They should be concerned when coaches stop coaching them.

This is positive news to hear from recruits. I think if we had some decommits it would really make a bad situation even worse. Luckily for Iowa a good 3/4 of the class is full right now. Be very interesting how we finish up this class and especially how things play out for the next one. I'm sure a lot of us will feel a lot better if Parks commits at the end of the month. Fortunately for Iowa one of his other top schools Utah has had a bad incident too with one of the coordinators. I could only imagine if Oladokun had waited a few weeks to decommit. Even if all the stuff going on played no part in it I'm sure it would've been perceived that way no matter what he said.

One thing that I'm a little surprised about is some of these Iowa media guys are getting a pass right now, especially Rob Howe, as they pile on Iowa and Ferentz while they stand on their high horses. These guys have been covering Iowa for many years and you can't tell me they've never heard any of these rumors or any off the record comments subtle or not about these complaints with treatment or Doyle. Not saying they deserve equal blame but they were part of the problem being too afraid of asking anything about the issues that have come out

Scumbag Husker fans are tagging them on Twitter every chance they get.

I actually think that approach by Nebraska fans is helping Iowa with these recruits. These are smart young men who were recruited by Iowa not just because of their football/athletic abilities but because they fit the type of person they want in the program - smart, tough (mentally and physically), and committed. That's why I cringe when I see Iowa fans attacking these kids for whatever reason - it doesn't make most of these guys think twice about the school they are committed to, it just reinforces the reasons they passed on the school with those fans acting like jackasses.

Reactions: pahawk68

Yeah good luck with what you described. That would be hard. In order for a football team to be good, they need to be pushed beyond what the players on their own would think possible. They might think they are playing hard, when they have more to give. It's the coach's job to try and get it out of them. And usually you won't get it out of a player by asking "pretty please play harder" or "pretty please be more focused in workouts." Especially at the college level, where in many instances players (whether black or white, doesn't matter) have been able to get by because they are bigger, stronger, faster than 99% of the players on the other team in high school. Now in college, everyone is big, fast and strong. So there is a conundrum. You have to push guys from where they are to where they need to go.

Obviously it can be done, and I'm not defending Doyle if his actions are proven to be true. Hearing former players talk about how much respect they have for PP or Morgan or Bell or Levar Woods or Copeland, etc., shows it can be done. From what the former players are saying, it sounds like the parts they are complaining about showed Doyle was missing the forest from the trees for whatever reason. In the end, coaches need to focus on what really is important (how you treat your teammates, being on time, playing hard, being prepared, etc.) and not focus on stuff that doesn't matter and/or is just a matter of personal preference and guys expressing themselves. Just my 2 cents.

Spot on post. My daughter’s have both been involved in athletics at the high school & college levels. I’m obviously not involved in their daily practices, but I certainly would want a coach to correct their mechanics etc. If “strong words” are necessary, that’s ok, as long as not personally demeaning.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT