ADVERTISEMENT

"Concussion" Opens Friday; how will it affect our relationship w/ Football?

Rugby League and Rugby Union. I have no idea what the difference is. A quick search unearthed the following article, amongst the usual Wikipedia and Yahoo Answers crap:

http://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/25124313

Former Iowa Rugby player here to help. There's actually now three forms with Rugby 7s (7 man teams instead of 13, coming to the Olympics). Think of it like an evolutionary chain: soccer-->rugby union-->rugby league-->football. Hence, rugby league is more like football, with a certain amount of downs before it turns over to the other team (so it is often kicked to them on the last down) and the ball is reset after a tackle which leads to faster, open-field tackles. Rugby Union is closer to soccer in that one team can have the ball as long as they can keep it, and play is not re-set after a tackle. Rugby Union is more popular worldwide, with Rugby League being bigger in the Southern Hemisphere. Don't know if any of that helps.

As always when I talk about this, I have to say that we have a great college rugby program in our own back yard. Iowa ended the 2014-15 season ranked #20 in rugby union and #12 in 7s (after a great run in the national tournament). You all should go out and check them out at least once.

I have cared for many people who have received head injuries over the past 10 years. it is amazing to see how an injury such as DAI can affect a person. Basically dai is a severe form of CTE. The interesting thing about Dai is that the more protected your head is the better your chances of getting Dai because if you did not have the protection it would be having a worse head injury such as a head bleed. no helmet can stop the head from moving inside the skull the only thing a helmet can do is minimize the force.

I have no doubts about this doctor's intentions as I believe they are in the right place. Short term people are too stubborn to let this affect football however long term it will take a drastic toll on the sport.
I

All of this is sensationalism. All of it. And the proper steps to remedy what issues were there have already taken place and been in place. The lawsuit is a joke against the NFL. It's mostly bankrupted poor former players looking for a buck. There are a few legitimate cases bit out turned into a circus show. Yes the NFL should've been more open about things and they'll pay they price for it. But concussion knowledge is better than it's ever been and the protocols in place are the right ones. Equipment is constantly improving. It's never gonna be enough to prevent injury bit it's better than it's ever been. Instruction at the youth levels is arguably as good as it's ever been but anyone who's ever been around youth sports knows about half the coaches out there don't know their ass from a hole in the ground and that's a problem and always has been. Best you can do is try to educate and people in charge need to monitor and try to mitigate the damage.
But omalu's war and all of this drama over CTE and concussions is absolute sensationalism and a war on the best sport on earth. And too many people don't know enough to see through the bullshit.
You must be a Neurosurgeon?

Reactions: Hawk and Awe
And this right here is the problem with all of this. Thousands of men have played football for years and even sustained multiple concussions without ever suffering CTE let alone committing suicide. FOOTBALL DOES NOT NECESSARILY CAUSE CTE! It's a very minute percentage of players who develop it and generally it happens in men who have played the game for years. You are spreading one of the very lies about all of this.
There is also evidence in a LOT of other industries where people develop CTE. Shockingly none of them are ever discussed. Maybe we should outlaw steel workers, and the military because there's evidence those people in rare occasions develop CTE. Just a couple of many examples.
And as far as your CTE and suicide, there is no data about how many of those players suffered mental illness or psychological issues as is prevalent in society as a whole. Yet even without that data, the suicide rate among NFL players is still considerably lower than that of the general population.
But keep pushing the bullshit omalu and his people are trumpeting.
The NFL is trying to settle the lawsuit for 1 BILLION dollars and changing the rules of the game. That leaves no doubt there is something going on and the NFL knows it.

This film is very agenda driven. Was the NFL at fault of a cover up, yes. But they have made changes and football has and will continue to do so.

This film won't move the needle on public perception one bit. It is sensationalism at it's finest.

This film is very agenda driven. Was the NFL at fault of a cover up, yes. But they have made changes and football has and will continue to do so.

This film won't move the needle on public perception one bit. It is sensationalism at it's finest.
yes, but freakin' dodge -Chrysler- ram truck commercials hold star wars characters up as real heros and in fact, saluted the hunger games folks as real heros, rather than using our real man and women who serve our country

A Hollywood movie is never going to give an honest view of reality no matter what the subject.

I don't need to see a movie to know that playing a game which requires you to wear a helmet might lead to head injuries. A lot of it comes down to knowing how to tackle. Everyone wants that knockout shot and to be on espn.

"We had a great Christmas. The whole family crowded around the tree and opened gifts. After a great meal we packed up and went to Concussion"

-Nobody ever

Reactions: starbrown
If you played football, then you should not be concerned, especially if you were never seriously injured.

The worst sports-related injury I ever had came from playing basketball and there was no contact that caused it.
My worst sports related injury came from touch football. That was about 55 years ago and I still have occasional twinges from it.

"We had a great Christmas. The whole family crowded around the tree and opened gifts. After a great meal we packed up and went to Concussion"

-Nobody ever

A lot a lot of people go to movies on Christmas........

On a side note, saw the movie and it definitely hurts the NFL's image.

That being said, it isn't going to stop me, or anyone else from watching it, and if I actually truly cared, buying products/tickets, because I support a team, not a league.

That being said, it isn't going to stop me, or anyone else from watching it, and if I actually truly cared, buying products/tickets, because I support a team, not a league.
Yeah most of those people went to Star Wars.

A number of years ago I read that there are two types of rugby in GB.--not sure of the names but I think the more injurious type was Rugby League and it was considered quite violent.
League v. Union
League is much more physical and a lot more just running into one another.
Rugby tackling is so much different in that conceding or gaining another meter (yard) is inconsequential unless you are near the try line (goal line). In football each inch counts. In rugby the runner and tackler are more concerned with getting their body in position to secure/steal ball as play continue after the tackle.
Also rugby tackling is the opposite of football in which you take your head to the inside of the runner rather than football where you take your head to the outside. Not to mention it's illegal to hit above the chest and you don't have all the armor to protect yourself/use as a weapon.

I will most certainly not see the film, because I believe that Hollywood have very little value as a tool to educate oneself about any scientific issue.

It is an important issue, though, and I am interested to see what further results are found with more research.

Any parent considering letting their child participate in sports should make every effort to make an informed decision. I hope they don't rely on this movie and the inevitable explosion chatter by internet no-nothings as their sources of information.

Reactions: GPRHAWK
I have cared for many people who have received head injuries over the past 10 years. it is amazing to see how an injury such as DAI can affect a person. Basically dai is a severe form of CTE. The interesting thing about Dai is that the more protected your head is the better your chances of getting Dai because if you did not have the protection it would be having a worse head injury such as a head bleed. no helmet can stop the head from moving inside the skull the only thing a helmet can do is minimize the force.

I have no doubts about this doctor's intentions as I believe they are in the right place. Short term people are too stubborn to let this affect football however long term it will take a drastic toll on the sport.
I

Have you been hit in the head more than once?

Oh I know. Christmas is an excellent release date. It just seemed like an odd choice for a move that must be such a bummer

Like most of you, I watch football (college and pro) every weekend. I repeatedly see players making late hits, spearing, piling on, leading with their head, horse collar tackling, etc.

My contention is that they do it to themselves. If they are so concerned about health issues, they wouldn't do these things, but they seem to have little regard for the injuries that they cause --- so why should I be concerned if those that play it aren't?

Like most of you, I watch football (college and pro) every weekend. I repeatedly see players making late hits, spearing, piling on, leading with their head, horse collar tackling, etc.

My contention is that they do it to themselves. If they are so concerned about health issues, they wouldn't do these things, but they seem to have little regard for the injuries that they cause --- so why should I be concerned if those that play it aren't?

+ 1
I would say this issue is similar to steroid use in sports. It does not matter to me if they use them in pro sports. These adults can make the decision for themselves how they want to treat their bodies.

But I don't think little kids have the capacity to make the decision to play on their own. I see this dramatically changing participation numbers in the future.

For the record I don't have any problem watching football, but I will think hard before letting my son play

Does anyone really think that the players over the past 50 or so years had no idea that repeated blows to the head were dangerous? That repeated concussions were no big deal and would have no lasting effects? Hell no. Everyone knew of the dangers, the reward and fun of the game was worth the risk.

Last edited:
I saw Concussion yesterday. It is a great movie and one that everyone should see. Will Smith is absolutely incredible playing Dr. Omalu (who is a true American hero). What came through to me is that the NFL has suppressed information about neurological damage that results from the very violent collisions that happen all the time in professional football. They should be dealt with very harshly for that. A group of actuaries has estimated that 28% of NFL players will suffer some sort of neurological damage - not all CTE but that makes up some of the 28%. Many occupations are very dangerous and the people who work in those occupations are compensated for the risks they take. The NFL should be open about the risks and people should respond accordingly. I do not conclude that football should be done away with or that people should be told whether or not they can play the game. But the risks should be understood by all participants before they decide whether or not to play. And it is not necessary to have concussions to suffer damage. I am sure it happens in many sports - any sport in which players heads can very quickly change direction or velocity. That has to include all contact sports at a minimum and probably some others as well.

Is there any data telling which position is most likely to have CTE.? I was going to say concussions, but I think that a player wouldn't necessarily have to have several concussions to get it, but those multiple shaking of the brain in plays without concussions does damage. At least that's what I kinda gather from what I have watched and read so far. To repeat, of those that have definitely shown to have CTE, are any positions most likely to get it.? I would guess linebacker. guess I'm thinking of Wally Hilgenberg.

I saw Concussion yesterday. It is a great movie and one that everyone should see. Will Smith is absolutely incredible playing Dr. Omalu (who is a true American hero). What came through to me is that the NFL has suppressed information about neurological damage that results from the very violent collisions that happen all the time in professional football. They should be dealt with very harshly for that. A group of actuaries has estimated that 28% of NFL players will suffer some sort of neurological damage - not all CTE but that makes up some of the 28%. Many occupations are very dangerous and the people who work in those occupations are compensated for the risks they take. The NFL should be open about the risks and people should respond accordingly. I do not conclude that football should be done away with or that people should be told whether or not they can play the game. But the risks should be understood by all participants before they decide whether or not to play. And it is not necessary to have concussions to suffer damage. I am sure it happens in many sports - any sport in which players heads can very quickly change direction or velocity. That has to include all contact sports at a minimum and probably some others as well.
So do you not think football players are compensated for the risk? Do you not think that they knew there were risks to banging heads time and time again?

Every player knew that wasn't healthy, but the compensation for that unhealthy lifestyle outweighed the risk.

Reactions: starbrown
I think a Hawkeye recently signed a 42 million dollar contract to play football. Should he have been required to turn it down because he might suffer permanent damage to a part of his body? It's not just the brain. He could get a spinal cord injury. Destroy his knees. etc. etc.

And what about people who participate in extreme activities for recreation? THEY DON'T GET A PENNY for what they do. Most of them just want to upload their gopro video to youtube. Should they be told they aren't allowed to risk injury?

America really now is the land that has forgotten the meaning of the word freedom. If someone wants to pursue a dangerous profession . . . or just take risks with their body . . . it's their choice. I feel the same way about cigarettes. I love how people blame the tobacco companies. Really? You mean the warning on the package that said this product may kill you was too vague for the consumer?

Reactions: herecomethehawkeyes
Im not going to bad mouth Sash, but to assume because he was using opiates that he had some health issues is a big stretch. Millions of people abuse those drugs and it has nothing to do with any illness.

I have been dealing with foot issues over the past year, which has led to 2 surgeries (which I am currently recovering from the one I had 2 1/2 weeks ago). I am on my feet all day at work, and was barely able to walk when I got home from work and many times had to use crutches. I have been on pain relievers for the last few months.

If Tyler Sash was having any pain due to his playing days, I can honestly see how people can and do OD on prescription pain meds. Especially if they become less effective. I can definitely understand how someone will take pain meds more frequently than prescribed, and add other pain meds if they have access to it.

I have been dealing with foot issues over the past year, which has led to 2 surgeries (which I am currently recovering from the one I had 2 1/2 weeks ago). I am on my feet all day at work, and was barely able to walk when I got home from work and many times had to use crutches. I have been on pain relievers for the last few months.

If Tyler Sash was having any pain due to his playing days, I can honestly see how people can and do OD on prescription pain meds. Especially if they become less effective. I can definitely understand how someone will take pain meds more frequently than prescribed, and add other pain meds if they have access to it.

So are you blaming his death on football? I would say it was a tragedy caused by an accident or mistake.

Former NFL and Iowa safety Tyler Sash died from an accidental overdose after mixing two powerful pain medications

It's very sad when people use tragedies to advance an argument against personal choice (a.k.a. personal freedom)

I think a Hawkeye recently signed a 42 million dollar contract to play football. Should he have been required to turn it down because he might suffer permanent damage to a part of his body? It's not just the brain. He could get a spinal cord injury. Destroy his knees. etc. etc.

And what about people who participate in extreme activities for recreation? THEY DON'T GET A PENNY for what they do. Most of them just want to upload their gopro video to youtube. Should they be told they aren't allowed to risk injury?

America really now is the land that has forgotten the meaning of the word freedom. If someone wants to pursue a dangerous profession . . . or just take risks with their body . . . it's their choice. I feel the same way about cigarettes. I love how people blame the tobacco companies. Really? You mean the warning on the package that said this product may kill you was too vague for the consumer?
I think you're reading far too much into the implications presented from a Hollywood movie. Yes, CTE is real. There are pathological criteria that help distinguish it from other disorders. But, other than an extreme minority I think you're going to be hard pressed to find a concerted effort to ban football.
As far as those extreme sports you referred to, I consider that Darwin at work.

Does anyone really think that the players over the past 50 or so years had no idea that repeated blows to the head were dangerous? That repeated concussions were no big deal and would have no lasting effects? Hell no. Everyone knew of the dangers, the reward and fun of the game was worth the risk.
Dude, you have no idea what you're talking about. Most of that time, NOBODY thought "getting your bell rung" once in awhile was any big deal. We laughed about it. "He got his bell rung! Har har har." Funny stuff, but no big deal. For most of those 50 years (and really more like 100 years or more) nobody thought getting knocked out once in a while was any big deal. It's just what happened. And NOBODY thought hits where you DIDN'T get knocked out were any kind of deal at all. The "additive" effect has only been considered or discussed in modern times. A whole lot of the football players who have been determined after death to have CTE were NEVER knocked unconscious on the field. They generally knocked OTHER people out. They might have been a little woozy now and then, but they always lined up for the next play.

So tl;dr, NO, most people had NO idea that repeated "minor" impacts to the head were dangerous. Never considered the possibility. Just an occasional "bell ring."

{edit} Just to add, the vast majority of those guys who "had their bell rung" had no idea they had had a concussion. I now realize that I had at least 3 and maybe 4 concussions when I was in high school. I figured that out in the last few years reading about symptoms thereof.

Last edited:
Is there any data telling which position is most likely to have CTE.? I was going to say concussions, but I think that a player wouldn't necessarily have to have several concussions to get it, but those multiple shaking of the brain in plays without concussions does damage. At least that's what I kinda gather from what I have watched and read so far. To repeat, of those that have definitely shown to have CTE, are any positions most likely to get it.? I would guess linebacker. guess I'm thinking of Wally Hilgenberg.
I still maintain that some have a genetic susceptibility to CTE. There used to be a term used called dementia pugilistica that referred to the punch drunk boxers. Of course, not everyone in the boxing field suffered from it while others did.

I still maintain that some have a genetic susceptibility to CTE. There used to be a term used called dementia pugilistica that referred to the punch drunk boxers. Of course, not everyone in the boxing field suffered from it while others did.
I don't know, I suppose that's possible. I'm thinking more that some guys were either not real good at slipping punches or just TOOK punches because they thought they were good at it and therefore took more damaging punches than some other boxers. If you remember in olden times it was often said about one boxer or another, "He can really take a punch." Maybe those guys weren't taking them as well as we thought. My first thoughts are Muhammad Ali and Joe Frazier, both of whom took a lot of punches because they could handle them.

I think you're reading far too much into the implications presented from a Hollywood movie. Yes, CTE is real. There are pathological criteria that help distinguish it from other disorders. But, other than an extreme minority I think you're going to be hard pressed to find a concerted effort to ban football.
As far as those extreme sports you referred to, I consider that Darwin at work.

I hope it isn't banned. But will it be changed in the coming decades to the point that we wouldn't recognize it as football?

This vvvvvvvv is how football should look. Minus the felon at QB of course.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT