ADVERTISEMENT

Convince Me that Brian Ferentz isn’t the Problem…

Bump.

And kiss my ass.

tumblr_msh0cnsAfx1rt0n8fo5_400.gifv

Spencer Petras broke all of Goff’s passing records in high school and was a 4 star in high school. Petras also follows a long list of Iowa QBs who’ve had the same problem.

And Petras definitely wasn’t the problem today.
Need to convert on 4th down and he airmails it out of bounds. So you’re telling us his head is in the game. I could care less what he did in HS. He just plain doesn’t have the “IT” factor. If you can’t comprehend what climb the pocket is by now, then I seriously doubt he ever will. The OL has major issues but he panics and runs himself to sacks.

Not sure what the ultimate answer is. However, Iowa MUST have a dominant O-line to have to a chance. Start by fixing that. I think must other stuff will fall in place.

Reactions: perryhawk
I hate to say it but games like these are needed to make a change. Did it need to happen in the biggest game of the year? Damn that sucks the most

Taking the 3 games into account....tonight, Wisconsin and purdue... just shows you can only ride the tail of defense and special teams so far until you can't get points when teams are disciplined and play the same game you do but better

Hopefully those 3 performances cause a change. But I have a feeling getting to 10 wins... despite the offense... will keep the status quo. Hope I'm wrong.

What a nut punch tonight and another embarrassment on the national stage. We usually don't get those with Kirk but you really see how big the gap is

Hopefully those 3 performances cause a change. But I have a feeling getting to 10 wins... despite the offense... will keep the status quo. Hope I'm wrong.

Don't you think that having a ten-win season, winning the Division and playing, albeit poorly, in the title game are more important positives that the poor offense is a negative?

Would you have said a 10-win, Division title and appearance in the BTCG would be satisfactory last August? Historically it's one of the ten best finishes in the last 40 years.

The game calls would look a lot better if the line could block and the QB could read and throw accurately.

Don't you think that having a ten-win season, winning the Division and playing, albeit poorly, in the title game are more important positives that the poor offense is a negative?

Would you have said a 10-win, Division title and appearance in the BTCG would be satisfactory last August? Historically it's one of the ten best finishes in the last 40 years.

The game calls would look a lot better if the line could block and the QB could read and throw accurately.
They are absolutely positives, but again why is it one or the other? Of course a 10 win season is a good year but there's no reason why the offense can't change as well

Reactions: Hawkfan_08
He is the problem; if we had a dual threat QB and there are 4 good ones in the portal right now our offense is completely different. Its a game of inches, we just need the ability to pick up first downs with our feet when plays break down. See Brad Banks, See Bethard even see Drew Tate with his ability to scramble and add a few more seconds for receivers to get open. Watch Martinez turn out to be a Russell Wilson type transfer but, just needed a different team and we are not even going to talk to him. Its not rocket science and BF surely knows this?

Last edited:
He hasn’t been coaching the QBs for the last 20 years. We see the same QB’ing mistakes year in year out regardless of who is QB. It’s Kirk
I can guarantee you Kirk spends zero time with the QBs. Which oddly kinda makes you right cause he spends zero time with QB development. Its entirely KOK and BF.

He is the problem; Im just a fan but realizes if we had a dual threat QB and there are 4 good ones in the portal right now our offense is completely different. Its a game of inches just needs the ability to pick up first downs with our feet when plays break down. See Brad Banks, See Bethard even see Drew Tate with his ability to scramble. Watch Martinez turn out to be a Russell Wilson type transfer just needed a different team and we are not even going to talk to him. Its not rocket science and BF surely knows this?

Martinez is too loose with the ball. He also already has his top 4.

Name me one good upcoming OC that would come to Iowa and coach for KF. Iowa is a career killer job for OC's . I feel sorry for BF, if he doesn't quit working for his dad his future is over in D1.

Reactions: David1979
I feel ya. But, the players still have to make the plays. BF isn’t out there not setting feet, throwing off back leg, middle throws/lack of obvious touch at times. Both SP and NS have those traits

BF isn’t executing the plays you are right. But he is setting these dudes up for failure by what he’s calling. That play action rollout which seemed to be the only one ran for three quarters when talking about play action….Michigan adjusted and had the outside defenders go after the QB instead of the back. BF did not adjust or have counters to that but instead he kept running it.

Bottom line. Iowa had a legit script tonight. But once off that script it was the responsibility of the OC to take what that script taught them and expect/adjust to any changes Michigan had. That didn’t happen.

Martinez is too loose with the ball. He also already has his top 4.
Yeah but magical things happen when someone gets a new opportunity. Im just saying don't be surprised. He was loose with the ball because he felt he needed to make things happen all by himself because no-one else on his team will, he forced things the last 3 seasons. Get him on a team where he actually trusts his weapons and lets see if he's loose with the ball?

Last edited:
Name me one good upcoming OC that would come to Iowa and coach for KF. Iowa is a career killer job for OC's . I feel sorry for BF, if he doesn't quit working for his dad his future is over in D1.
IDK, but might just be right. LOL. Im sure there is someone young with untapped talent. But, no-one has a crystal ball.

Brian is just part of the problem. He's the 3rd O.C. and people want him ran out of town like all the others before him....common problem with all 3 is Kirk, and he's making Brian the target for frustration. IF Brian really isn't as bad as it looks, he needs to pack up and go somewhere else to prove himself till Kirk moves on.....and I agree that an O.C. job under Kirk can be a career killer, good luck with that one.

A morning article

Is it the coordinator or the quarterback? In Brian Ferentz’s first three years as offensive coordinator, Nate Stanley was his quarterback. Stanley threw for 68 touchdown passes with 23 interceptions in 39 games from 2017 to 2019. And in a remarkable stat, Stanley tossed 47 red-zone touchdown passes against just one interception as a Hawkeye.

Petras (21 starts) has 19 career touchdown passes vs. 16 interceptions; though he has just one TD vs. nine picks since the middle of last season. Going back to Kirk Ferentz’s earlier quote, when it comes to scoring points, this iteration of the Hawkeye offense has struggled. A year ago, Iowa ranked 128th out of 130 FBS teams in red-zone touchdown percentage (40.4%). It’s off to a 1-for-3 start (33.3%) in that category this season.

A morning article

Is it the coordinator or the quarterback? In Brian Ferentz’s first three years as offensive coordinator, Nate Stanley was his quarterback. Stanley threw for 68 touchdown passes with 23 interceptions in 39 games from 2017 to 2019. And in a remarkable stat, Stanley tossed 47 red-zone touchdown passes against just one interception as a Hawkeye.

Petras (21 starts) has 19 career touchdown passes vs. 16 interceptions; though he has just one TD vs. nine picks since the middle of last season. Going back to Kirk Ferentz’s earlier quote, when it comes to scoring points, this iteration of the Hawkeye offense has struggled. A year ago, Iowa ranked 128th out of 130 FBS teams in red-zone touchdown percentage (40.4%). It’s off to a 1-for-3 start (33.3%) in that category this season.
This is on Brian not Petras…..because any competent OC would have benched Petras already. Kirk is letting his moron son ruin his coaching legacy & dragging our program down quickly.

I gave my tickets away for the Nevada game & won’t be back at Kinnick until something changes.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
This is on Brian not Petras…..because any competent OC would have benched Petras already. Kirk is letting his moron son ruin his coaching legacy & dragging our program down quickly.

I gave my tickets away for the Nevada game & won’t be back at Kinnick until something changes.
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman."

Its fortunate that you are surrendering your tickets. Those seats will be filled by better fans.

Papa Ferentz is the issue, recruiting hasn't been good enough. Vince Young made Greg Davis look being good. We need better prospects.

"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman."

Its fortunate that you are surrendering your tickets. Those seats will be filled by better fans.
No they won’t……they’d be taken over by gray hairs that sit on their hands most of the game like most others around me.

The few other hard-core fans in my area that get loud on every big defensive play are feeling the same way I am……& those aren’t the fans we want to lose.

No they won’t……they’d be taken over by gray hairs that sit on their hands most of the game like most others around me.

The few other hard-core fans in my area that get loud on every big defensive play are feeling the same way I am……& those aren’t the fans we want to lose.

Hey now! I stand up and yell a lot.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT