ADVERTISEMENT

Desaparecidos - which album do you like better?

Which Desaparecidos album do you prefer?

• Read Music/Speak Spanish

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Payola

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

ConvenientParking

HR Legend
Gold Member
Jun 28, 2016
Desaparecidos are an indie punk band based out of Omaha, Nebraska. Side project of once wunderkind now indie legend Conor Oberst. The band's first album Read Music/Speak Spanish was released early in 2002 months after 9/11 attacks and is very critical of American consumerist culture and the American state at a time when patriotism was at an all time high. Oberst was 21 or 22 when he wrote this protest song and released it within months of 9/11:

The band's second album Payola (released June 2015 before Trump was a candidate) is also very political and leftist. The sound is a lot more polished as Oberst had more than a decade between Desa records to improve his ideas and connections as a studio recording artist. Some of the political topics covered in the album weren't really mainstream fare at the time the album was released but became extremely relevant following 2016 election, and the rest were very critical of American culture and state in wake of great recession. I change my mind on which album I prefer every year.

Notice in the end of this video, released in 2015, where the animated members of band are playing outro on top of "Blump Tower"

Reactions: Moral
This is from 2002 debut and is album opener in the form of a story told about the American Dream as it was understood circa Y2K.

This is from the 2015 follow up and is a love letter to a then Chilean activist who is now a cabinet member in the democratically elected communist administration:

I'm going to go Read Music Speak Spanish. I should be jamming out to these as I run around cleaning. I just shredded a ton of paperwork that no one should have kept.

Reactions: ConvenientParking
I'm going to go Read Music Speak Spanish. I should be jamming out to these as I run around cleaning. I just shredded a ton of paperwork that no one should have kept.
I'm in a Read Music Speak Spanish year myself just cause election coming up and it's a little less make-me-freak-out-about-Republicans but if Trump wins next year is all Payola

Both of these songs are self criticism of the failures of the left such as it exists in America. First from 2002 is album closer. Second from 2015 album is buried in the back half but not the closer.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT