ADVERTISEMENT

Do you guys believe in ghosts?

Well, you can make a pretty logical guess at the most likely scenario. It makes sense that “after my life ends” should be the same as “before my life began.” Consciousness lies in the brain, so when the brain can no longer function consciousness will end.
Like I said, I was oblivious prior to being here. If I’m oblivious after the fact, so be it. I rarely even ponder on it. I sure don’t buy the Pascal’s Wager thinking of lots of Christians.

Reactions: spiderland
Pascal's Wager assumes god is either a moron or a bureaucrat.

Jesus gave Pascal's Wager:

Matthew 19:

Peter answered him, “We have left everything to follow you! What then will there be for us?”

Jesus said to them, “Truly I tell you, at the renewal of all things, when the Son of Man sits on his glorious throne, you who have followed me will also sit on twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel. And everyone who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or wife or children or fields for my sake will receive a hundred times as much and will inherit eternal life. But many who are first will be last, and many who are last will be first."

Jesus gave Pascal's Wager:

Matthew 19:

Peter answered him, “We have left everything to follow you! What then will there be for us?”

Jesus said to them, “Truly I tell you, at the renewal of all things, when the Son of Man sits on his glorious throne, you who have followed me will also sit on twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel. And everyone who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or wife or children or fields for my sake will receive a hundred times as much and will inherit eternal life. But many who are first will be last, and many who are last will be first."
Let's say I take the wager. I don't believe, but I sign up just in case god is real so that I get to go to the VIP room after I die.
An all-knowing god should know that I'm insincere in my beliefs right? If not, is he really all-knowing?
Or is he a bureaucrat that only cares that I checked the correct box on the religion form?

Let's say I take the wager. I don't believe, but I sign up just in case god is real so that I get to go to the VIP room after I die.
An all-knowing god should know that I'm insincere in my beliefs right? If not, is he really all-knowing?
Or is he a bureaucrat that only cares that I checked the correct box on the religion form?

Not according to Catholicism! If we live in a state of grace, we're going to Heaven. Meditate on that. :)

This is from the Council of Trent:

Council of Trent Year 1547: CANON XXXI.-If any one saith, that the justified sins when he performs good works with a view to an eternal recompense; let him be anathema.

Everyone is wagering on some religion or none.

You seem to be wagering there's no life after death.

Or that the nature of life after death is not dependent upon what your views on religion might be; either because consciousness continues on without an omnipotent creator, or that the omnipotent creator doesn’t use our thought processes during our extremely brief period on earth as a basis for reward or punishment.

Being Catholic to get to Heaven is the ultimate goal.

Or that the nature of life after death is not dependent upon what your views on religion might be; either because consciousness continues on without an omnipotent creator, or that the omnipotent creator doesn’t use our thought processes during our extremely brief period on earth as a basis for reward or punishment.

Sure.

Atheism is a wager, too.

The Loch Ness monster is a proven hoax. The government knows aliens are real.

The government does not know aliens are real. They know there are legitimate reports of what appears to be technology beyond any non-secret technology existing within our military. That’s a long ways away from knowing aliens have visited us.

Everyone is wagering on some religion or none.

You seem to be wagering there's no life after death.
lol…read carefully. There is no “wager” on my part. I’m content with letting it play out the way it will. Neither of us knows anything about it. If you want to sincerely believe in some specific outcome based on what a book tells you, more power to you. If you want to believe in some specific outcome in hopes that your ass is covered…I hope it works out for you. I honestly don’t care.

Not according to Catholicism! If we live in a state of grace, we're going to Heaven. Meditate on that. :)

This is from the Council of Trent:

Council of Trent Year 1547: CANON XXXI.-If any one saith, that the justified sins when he performs good works with a view to an eternal recompense; let him be anathema.
That does not address my points.

No. You invented a game and say we must play. But we aren’t. We are saying we’re not particularly interested in your wager.

We must play because we each have a finite life and an infinite afterlife.

We each have a "horse" we're riding until death. Every human is some form of theist, deist, atheist, agnostic, etc.

That does not address my points.

Self-interest like becoming Catholic because one wants to go to Heaven is an acceptable reason. Having 100% faith in God is not required especially at the beginning.

Jesus said all who follow Him will get an infinite reward in Heaven. :)

All we have to do is live in a state of grace.

Does that address your points?

Masstimes.org

Last edited:
Self-interest like becoming Catholic because one wants to go to Heaven is an acceptable reason. Having 100% faith in God is not required especially at the beginning.

Jesus said all who follow Him will get an infinite reward in Heaven. :)

All we have to do is live in a state of grace.

Does that address your points?

Masstimes.org
No, it doesn’t even recognize his point, or acknowledge it.

I'm wagering my life against your dragon. :)
You're not "wagering" anything just as I'm not "wagering" anything when I tell you I don't believe in your version of a god. I've got just as much proof there's a dragon in my garage as you do for the existence of a Christian-style god. There's even a book that attests to the existence of my dragon...albeit, it's very short. It was written by St. Carl.

You're not "wagering" anything just as I'm not "wagering" anything when I tell you I don't believe in your version of a god. I've got just as much proof there's a dragon in my garage as you do for the existence of a Christian-style god. There's even a book that attests to the existence of my dragon...albeit, it's very short. It was written by St. Carl.

The historical evidence for Jesus is huge.

I'm wagering on Him being real.

I’ve talked about it before but I’ll repeat just because it’s interesting.

I’ll start by saying I don’t logically believe in ghosts nor do I act differently because of my experiences.

The oldest and first ghost/spirit/angel experience I had was during one of four times where in an alternate universe I’m probably dead. I won’t bother discussing two as they don’t deal with possible otherworldly intervention but two do.

The oldest was when I was driving back late night from Tallahassee to my parents on US 19 around 2 AM. I wasn’t sleepy but there was no one on the road and I had driven around two hours so I was in a zen like state just driving. For the Iowans, not of US 19 is a divided highway with at least two lanes per side. I was in an area with only to lanes and was in the left lane as I was seeing nonstop deer on the right. Then for no reason, I lost control of my right hand and had a short “jerk” turn movement to the right hand lane just like you would do to avoid a last second pothole or cat in the road. As soon as I am safely in the right lane my high beams catch the reflectors of a car with its light off doing triple digit speed running the wrong way. So if I hadn’t suddenly and for no reason gone into the other lane, some speeding drunk with his lights out would have creamed me head on. With me doing 75 and him 100+ in the wrong direction I would definitely be dead.

Afterwards I felt a prevailing calm sense of relief that didn’t feel like it was coming from me as I was still wired from almost getting killed.

The other near death experience with a spiritual bent was a couple of years later. I was driving alone again at night on the Tamiami Trail. For Iowans that’s a lonely stretch connecting Naples to Miami through the Everglades and both Seminole and Miccosukee reservations. I did drift off to sleep apparently and then felt the presence of a beautiful 30 yo Nicole Kidmanesque woman next to me. I see in my dream state this beautiful woman in a bright glowing white flowy sundress. She looks at me and yells “Wake up!” Which does snap me awake and I notice I’m about to drive off into a swampy canal. I quickly come to and course correct.

Ezekiel 29:3 King James Version 3 Speak, and say, Thus saith the Lord God; Behold, I am against thee, Pharaoh king of Egypt, the great dragon that lieth in [tarheelbybirth's garage]., which hath said, My river is mine own, and I have made it for myself.

Isaiah 27:1 King James Version 27 In that day the Lord with his sore and great and strong sword shall punish leviathan the piercing serpent, even leviathan that crooked serpent; and he shall slay the dragon that is in [tarheelbybirth's garage].

Case closed :)

• Haha
Reactions: BrianNole777
Ezekiel 29:3 King James Version 3 Speak, and say, Thus saith the Lord God; Behold, I am against thee, Pharaoh king of Egypt, the great dragon that lieth in [tarheelbybirth's garage]., which hath said, My river is mine own, and I have made it for myself.

Isaiah 27:1 King James Version 27 In that day the Lord with his sore and great and strong sword shall punish leviathan the piercing serpent, even leviathan that crooked serpent; and he shall slay the dragon that is in [tarheelbybirth's garage].

Case closed :)

Interesting article here:

• Haha
Reactions: artradley

Those the same nutballs who claim there was night and day before there was a sun? Yeah, I don't pay them much heed.

It’s funny how low your evidence requirements are for the Bible’s endorsement of ghosts, and how high it is for dragons. It’s almost as if you twist the words of the Bible to fit your existing view of reality…

It’s funny how low your evidence requirements are for the Bible’s endorsement of ghosts, and how high it is for dragons. It’s almost as if you twist the words of the Bible to fit your existing view of reality…

The Bible is full of metaphors.

If Jesus mentioned dragons as He did ghosts, I'd take them much more seriously.

The Bible is full of metaphors.

If Jesus mentioned dragons, I'd take them much more seriously.

Because as we all know Jesus never used metaphors or parables. Again, when you don’t like what the Bible says, metaphor. When you do like what it says, literal.

Your lack of self-awareness on the topic of religion is almost impressive.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT