Dochterman in regards to the Portal

ButtersHawk

HR MVP
Nov 23, 2021
Just wanted to clean a few things up fellow posters😉
He did 2 pods yesterday:
IA Everywhere's Legend & Listeners
Hawkfanatic's Hawkeye Hotspot

He stated that when the Aussie punter joins in the spring it puts us at 85 schollies (this include Dejean and Lachey)
Theres is potential for 9 current players to come back.

KF may have to do some Creaning to get guys in/out of the portal. In regards to the OC Doc thinks its only a concern to wait if Cade wasn't coming back.

Once again you are depending on a beat writter who has zero inside info and does not beak any news. The Iowa media likes to jerk each other off by doing these "chats", you are dumber every time you listen. Howe is the president of the dumb. Vice president of the dumb is Harty.

He did 2 pods yesterday:

He stated that when the Aussie punter joins in the spring it puts us at 85 schollies (this include Dejean and Lachey)

KF may have to do some Creaning to get guys in/out of the portal. In regards to the OC Doc thinks its only a concern to wait if Cade wasn't coming back.
Why is there an assumption that DeJean and Lachey are coming back?

Says a lot about the program and our culture when dudes don't want to leave.
For better or worse. Even the scholarship players who have been around for 3-4 years but never contribute would rather stay and hoard a scholarship than go somewhere else and actually play. Guys like:

Jeff Bowie and Zach Twait and Mike Myslinski who all came in with Cooper DeJean. Or Jayden Montgomery who came in an undersized 2 star and will remain that way.

There's something to be said for trimming the fat, which tends to be better for both the players and the team. Not to the extent that Sanders does at Colorado or Crean did at Indiana, but hard conversations need to be had if Iowa truly doesn't have scholarships available to bring in offensive players from the portal.

For better or worse. Even the scholarship players who have been around for 3-4 years but never contribute would rather stay and hoard a scholarship than go somewhere else and actually play. Guys like:

Jeff Bowie and Zach Twait and Mike Myslinski who all came in with Cooper DeJean. Or Jayden Montgomery who came in an undersized 2 star and will remain that way.

There's something to be said for trimming the fat, which tends to be better for both the players and the team. Not to the extent that Sanders does at Colorado or Crean did at Indiana, but hard conversations need to be had if Iowa truly doesn't have scholarships available to bring in offensive players from the portal.
You and Steamboat gotta be one in the same or related.

You say that, but Iowa Football history is full of “fat” who rise up in their fifth year to provide memorable moments.
Holloway caught his first touchdown pass on the last play of his career.
Mason barely played, but as a fifth year injury replacement helped key a needed win.
Iowa is a developmental program, a RS JR is generally worth more than an additional 3* recruit.

Once again you are depending on a beat writter who has zero inside info and does not beak any news. The Iowa media likes to jerk each other off by doing these "chats", you are dumber every time you listen. Howe is the president of the dumb. Vice president of the dumb is Harty.
I'm not gonna argue you on Howe but I like Dochterman. And also what I put in the post about scholarship #'s is a fact sooooooo I don't know what you want from me here.

I’m sure you would have had a guy like Higgins on your list of “fat” to be trimmed a couple seasons ago too.

Iowa football succeeds because of the culture in the building and guys like Jay Higgins who work their ass off, wait their turn, and become a leader as upperclassmen. You’re not going to keep your culture by running off every kid who doesn’t start within the first two to three years and replacing them with portal players chasing a bag.

He did 2 pods yesterday:

I'll clear the last part up a bit. Kirk isn't going to tell just flat out to tell a kid to leave. But they mentioned he has had those types of conversations in the past. Doc didn't want to state any past or current players by name out of respect but he said a good indicator is to find a 3/4 year guy who still hasn't broke through the depth chart yet.

They both are lazy and their style reporting is extinct. Howe’s pods are unlistenable.

Reactions: TheOven
There is not an assumption they are coming back, but they have another year of eligibility without any waivers, eg. COVID year. So, they have to declare for the draft or transfer before their scholarships come off the books.

Doc is as tied into the pulse of Iowa FB as anybody outside program itself and Brad H. of the SWARM. I think you are the one who doesn't know diddly about what's going on behind the scenes.

I say just cut the entire OL, figure out the remaining scholarships of players that could return from there, and then from whatever is left, go and buy all of Alabama and Michigan’s best returning linemen for next year.................................problem solved. :)

Reactions: ButtersHawk
A lot of these new NIL contracts implement a share of their future NFL earnings. For example, Iowa could pay Cooper $3M guaranteed next year, but then if he gets drafted in the NFL they get 25% of his annual earnings until another $1M has been paid back. So he essentially gets a $3M insurance policy and nets $2M if he makes NFL money.

Reactions: Rocket_Fran
One would have to think that a lot of these conversations have been had by now between KF/staff and the players. I would think that Labas entering the portal was the result of the feedback he received that he is not going to play here. One would also think that conversations have been made and ongoing with regards to Coop, Lachey, All, Higgins, Castro, etc. and that the coaches know much much more than any of us. All of those players seem to love the program and KF too much to leave them high and dry.

Reactions: kceasthawk
I say just cut the entire OL, figure out the remaining scholarships of players that could return from there, and then from whatever is left, go and buy all of Alabama and Michigan’s best returning linemen for next year.................................problem solved. :)
@EvilMonkeyInTheCloset whats your assessment of the Oline? I agree they are far from great but i think the scheme and tendencies make them look worse than they are.

Not that I want anyone to really leave, but it would be better for the program to decide sooner than later.

One would have to think that a lot of these conversations have been had by now between KF/staff and the players. I would think that Labas entering the portal was the result of the feedback he received that he is not going to play here. One would also think that conversations have been made and ongoing with regards to Coop, Lachey, All, Higgins, Castro, etc. and that the coaches know much much more than any of us. All of those players seem to love the program and KF too much to leave them high and dry.
Outside entities do the draft evaluations. I am sure Kirk has convos with some of his NFL scout buddies.

Reactions: sober_teacher
A lot of these new NIL contracts implement a share of their future NFL earnings. For example, Iowa could pay Cooper $3M guaranteed next year, but then if he gets drafted in the NFL they get 25% of his annual earnings until another $1M has been paid back. So he essentially gets a $3M insurance policy and nets $2M if he makes NFL money.
Huh?
Iowa’s total NIL for fball is app $3 mil.

@EvilMonkeyInTheCloset whats your assessment of the Oline? I agree they are far from great but i think the scheme and tendencies make them look worse than they are.
Kinda agree, but scheme and tendencies have nothing to do with 3 illegal procedure penalties against DeJong, unless you mean DeJong has a tendency to commit stupid penalties?

That’s pretty cool. Are you just speculating or do you know this as a fact?

Reactions: InsaneHawkJJP
I don’t think there’s any assumption, I think it’s just that they have eligibility left and haven‘t made an announcement. Of the two, I would think Lachey would come back before DeJean, but who knows. There have been guys I thought were gone before that came back.

Doc is as tied into the pulse of Iowa FB as anybody outside program itself and Brad H. of the SWARM. I think you are the one who doesn't know diddly about what's going on behind the scenes.
Doc, is that your cute nickname for him when you cuddle. As for behind the curtain info. I'm close enough to the program to understand when the Iowa beat writers come around all you get is the standard talking points. People in the program are trained not to say one thing to this media group and this all started years ago with the weight lifting scandal.. That got put on steroids after how the dumbshit media handled the diversity. The "cult" like iowa media knows zero inside info. That's why this board and others continue to guess at what's going on. So u my friend, have no idea how close I am to the program.

Kinda agree, but scheme and tendencies have nothing to do with 3 illegal procedure penalties against DeJong, unless you mean DeJong has a tendency to commit stupid penalties?
Umm let me rephrase by saying I thought the regular 5 of Richman, Feth, Jones/Elsbury, Colby, Dunker were ok. I agree about Dejong. He got big but never developed skills.

I presume that guys with eligibility remain on the scholly list until they declare otherwise.
I presume that anyone forecasted as a surefire 1st or second round pick is gone until they declare otherwise. Tough decision to give up millions of dollars to do otherwise.

Doc, is that your cute nickname for him when you cuddle. As for behind the curtain info. I'm close enough to the program to understand when the Iowa beat writers come around all you get is the standard talking points. People in the program are trained not to say one thing to this media group and this all started years ago with the weight lifting scandal.. That got put on steroids after how the dumbshit media handled the diversity. The "cult" like iowa media knows zero inside info. That's why this board and others continue to guess at what's going on. So u my friend, have no idea how close I am to the program.
Thats cute but my son is A Ostrenga. Just trying to pass along some info others may find valuable yeesh.

NIL deals that take a piece of future earnings have been attacked in court, here is one example:

Fort Ferentz keeps things very close to the vest. The coaches respect these young men and their business. I do not see any declarations for the NFL until after the bowl game. We may not know about the OC until that timeline also. Maybe longer if he is coming from the NFL.

The rumours being discussed by the talking heads are intriguing and fun to speculate. I doubt they have much inside knowledge.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT