ADVERTISEMENT

Easier path for Iowa…..Playoff or The Big Ten Championship

Which does Iowa make first in the future?

• The expanded College Football Playoff

Votes: 45 93.8%
  • The Big Ten Championship game

Votes: 3 6.3%

• Total voters

swagsurfer02

HR King
Gold Member
Dec 8, 2010
I was listening to a podcast and they made the case, it will probably be easier for Iowa (This is a national podcast by the way but specifically mentioned Iowa) to make the playoff than the conference championship game with divisions being dissolved and the new comers to the league.

They also believed that the Big Ten would get three and four teams in the 12 team playoff almost every year, thus their reasoning.

Made sense to me

So basically, the question is, would it be easier for Iowa to finish third or fourth in the Big Ten, or first or second in the Big Ten?

Kinda silly question.
True, but still worthy of the conversation. Ever sense the announcement of the left coast teams joining the B1G, the dumbassery by some here that Iowa will NEVER sniff the playoffs is laughable, WE most certainly can get in a 12 team playoff, and then it all comes down to matchups....

True, but still worthy of the conversation. Ever sense the announcement of the left coast teams joining the B1G, the dumbassery by some here that Iowa will NEVER sniff the playoffs is laughable, WE most certainly can get in a 12 team playoff, and then it all comes down to matchups....

In the old format (four team playoff) with the new teams being added and dissolution of divisions I don’t think Iowa was coming close to a playoff appearance.

In the old format (four team playoff) with the new teams being added and dissolution of divisions I don’t think Iowa was coming close to a playoff appearance.
I'm confused. Which stance are you taking. Most certainly Iowa can have one of THOSE seasons now, and go 10-2 or 11-1 and get into a 12 team playoff without a CCG. I'm still not sold on the ground quaking over the PAC teams joining. None of those teams have stayed consistent for the last decade. There will be more coaching and player turnover as well, and they will have a pretty big adjustment to make not only from the travel, but THEY will have significantly harder schedules on average then what they have faced generally the last 20 years. This last year was an anomoly in the PAC 12. Most years the conference as a whole has not been that good. We also will only play two of those teams per year, and one will be in Kinnick. I'll let the dust settle for a few years before being overly concerned.

I was listening to a podcast and they made the case, it will probably be easier for Iowa (This is a national podcast by the way but specifically mentioned Iowa) to make the playoff than the conference championship game with divisions being dissolved and the new comers to the league.

They also believed that the Big Ten would get three and four teams in the 12 team playoff almost every year, thus their reasoning.

Made sense to me
It’s why I have already placed a bet on Iowa +40000 to win the Natty. I think they have a good shot to win 10 games and finish third/fourth. That should get them into the playoff, and then I cash that sucker out.

I'm confused. Which stance are you taking. Most certainly Iowa can have one of THOSE seasons now, and go 10-2 or 11-1 and get into a 12 team playoff without a CCG. I'm still not sold on the ground quaking over the PAC teams joining. None of those teams have stayed consistent for the last decade. There will be more coaching and player turnover as well, and they will have a pretty big adjustment to make not only from the travel, but THEY will have significantly harder schedules on average then what they have faced generally the last 20 years. This last year was an anomoly in the PAC 12. Most years the conference as a whole has not been that good. We also will only play two of those teams per year, and one will be in Kinnick. I'll let the dust settle for a few years before being overly concerned.

My stance, as it comes to the original question is that it’s an easier path to the playoff for teams like Iowa and Wisconsin with expansion. However with divisions going away it’s much more difficult to make the Big Ten Championship game.

As to the new teams being added, previously the games you were an annual underdog in were against Penn St, Ohio St, and Michigan. In my opinion, you add Oregon to that mix and USC more often than not. More than likely you will get two of those five teams every year, then throw in your annual games with Wisconsin, Minnesota and Nebraska. Anyone who somehow thinks our schedule got easier is daft.

Had the conference brought in teams the caliber of Maryland and Rutgers, I could see that thinking but literally every team they brought in is at least the caliber of Iowa except UCLA, which really only needs a good coach to make them relevant.

It’s why I have already placed a bet on Iowa +40000 to win the Natty. I think they have a good shot to win 10 games and finish third/fourth. That should get them into the playoff, and then I cash that sucker out.

I’m excited to have them get in because it’s playing a good opponent and actually has meaning. Iowa vs Kentucky bowl games the last couple years left me unfulfilled.

My stance, as it comes to the original question is that it’s an easier path to the playoff for teams like Iowa and Wisconsin with expansion. However with divisions going away it’s much more difficult to make the Big Ten Championship game.

As to the new teams being added, previously the games you were an annual underdog in were against Penn St, Ohio St, and Michigan. In my opinion, you add Oregon to that mix and USC more often than not. More than likely you will get two of those five teams every year, then throw in your annual games with Wisconsin, Minnesota and Nebraska. Anyone who somehow thinks our schedule got easier is daft.

Had the conference brought in teams the caliber of Maryland and Rutgers, I could see that thinking but literally every team they brought in is at least the caliber of Iowa except UCLA, which really only needs a good coach to make them relevant.
So easier to finish 3rd or 4th than 1st. I can agree with that.

Certainly it will be harder to get in the CCG with it being top two teams in the B1G......

I voted big ten championship game because we actually control our own destiny in that circumstance - win (the right games) and we're in.

To get into the playoffs, we have to overcome the dreaded "eyeball test", and even with a new OC, Iowa will not play a high scoring brand of football. Shutouts/blowouts will kill a team's playoff chances, and there could be more in our future unless Kirk changes the offensive philosophy.

Also, we're always fighting general anti-Iowa bias from the national media, which seems to carry over a bit to the playoff committee. Think of this scenario: a two loss Iowa with a strong schedule, or a two loss Colorado with a weak schedule. Who's getting the last playoff spot? Sadly, I think we know already the answer.

Last edited:
Oh, playoffs no doubt. Entirely due to the expanded format.
Iowa could be the 12th best team some year. That's well within the possible.
Winning the league with the new additions is significantly less likely.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT