Oklahoma .8/1.178M
@Kansas St. 0.3/532K
vs. TCU 0.1/162K
Big XII Tournament QF 0.3/373K
Semifinal 0.4K/667K
Final 1.7/2.651M

Mean: 0.40/610K
Median: 0.3/432K

Iowa State had 26 (21 conf.) games televised on ESPN networks compared to Iowa's 13 (9 conf.) games. Big Ten Network games or ESPN3 only games are not included. These ratings would include CBS and Fox/FS1 telecasts, but neither team played a game on those networks.
In conference, Iowa played 6 of their 9 games on ESPN networks against NCAA tournament teams, Iowa State played 15 of their 21 games on ESPN networks against NCAA tournament teams.
In the non-conference, Iowa's game against North Carolina drew a higher rating than all 5 of Iowa State's non-conference games combined, so scheduling is a big deal.

Complete list

That really shows how much the big name schools contribute to the ratings (ex - Michigan St, Ohio St, North Carolina, Wisconsin, Indiana, Texas, Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas).

Any idea on how the Big 10 Network draws for ratings?

Originally posted by BeepBeepInMyJeep:
Iowa

vs. Texas 0.2/314K
vs. Syracuse 0.3/398K
@ North Carolina 1.0/1.401M
vs. Alcorn St. 0.1/156K
@Ohio St. 0.4/472K
Michigan St. 0.8/1.211M
Ohio St. 1.2/1.664M
@Wisconsin 0.6/979K
Wisconsin 0.8/1.129M
@Michigan 0.6/784K
Rutgers 0.1/131K
@Penn St. 0.1/275K
@Indiana 0.9/1.335M

Mean: 0.546/705.3K
Median: 0.6/472K

Iowa State
vs. Georgia St. 0.1/133K
vs. Alabama 0.1/205K
vs. Maryland 0.1/188K
vs. Arkansas 0.3/506K
vs. UMKC 0.0/76K
vs. Oklahoma St. 0.3/452K
@ West Virginia 0.3/452K
@Baylor 0.2/200K
vs. Kansas 0.9/1.460M
Kansas St. 0.3/529K
@Texas Tech 0.3/399K
Texas 0.9/1.232M
TCU 0.1/147K
@Kansas 1.0/1.546 M
Texas Tech 0.1/136K
@Oklahoma 0.8/1.116M
vs. West Virginia 0.4/606K
@Oklahoma St. 0.2/258K
@Texas 0.3/412K
Baylor 0.2/252K
Oklahoma .8/1.178M
@Kansas St. 0.3/532K
vs. TCU 0.1/162K
Big XII Tournament QF 0.3/373K
Semifinal 0.4K/667K
Final 1.7/2.651M

Mean: 0.40/610K
Median: 0.3/432K

Iowa State had 26 (21 conf.) games televised on ESPN networks compared to Iowa's 13 (9 conf.) games. Big Ten Network games or ESPN3 only games are not included. These ratings would include CBS and Fox/FS1 telecasts, but neither team played a game on those networks.
In conference, Iowa played 6 of their 9 games on ESPN networks against NCAA tournament teams, Iowa State played 15 of their 21 games on ESPN networks against NCAA tournament teams.
In the non-conference, Iowa's game against North Carolina drew a higher rating than all 5 of Iowa State's non-conference games combined, so scheduling is a big deal.

I'm no Cyclone fan, but you also need to remember that ISU played a few games on ESPN U which is not available to a lot of people. I work with a guy who is a big ISU fan, but he couldn't watch anything on ESPN U at his house. Guessing he is not alone in that, and some of these were big conference games that fans would have wanted to watch.

Reactions: Myvue
ISU played a lot of ESPNU games, and I think played at least one game on ESPNNEWS. It would be interesting to compare the ratings for games on ESPN, games on ESPN2, games on ESPNU, etc. that would be apples to apples and interesting.

Also, just looking at the matchups, Iowa played some really high profile noncon games, the UNC, UT, Cuse games are just more interesting to a lot of people. Iowa would never play a game against Georgia State on an ESPN network because it would be bumped to BTN. All Big 12 games are on ESPN networks including games nobody cares about.
This post was edited on 4/14 2:11 PM by ISUBryce

Reactions: Myvue
Here is how they added up and along with their average rating. Having games on ESPNU is still good, but definitely hurts the averages as a lot of the time they are competing with games on ESPN and ESPN2.

This includes the number of games televised and the average/mean rating.

Iowa
ESPN - 6 - 1140
ESPN2 - 6 - 712
ESPNU - 2 - 203
ESPNews - 1 - 156

Iowa State
ESPN - 6 - 1531
ESPN2 - 9 - 485
ESPNU - 10 - 216
ESPNews - 1 - 162

Again...I would be interested to see what the Big 10 Network ratings were.

This post was edited on 4/14 3:01 PM by mtdew_fever

That's what it's all about. That's what BiG expansion was all about. Lots of TV sets.

Rutgers 0.1/131K
Look at all of those NY city television sets Rutgers brings to the table.
eek.r191677.gif

You have to wonder how many of those were actually located in the NY City area.....but if I would have to guess most of them were from Eastern Iowa and the Des Moines areas.

Rutgers basketball is to NYC as TCU basketball is to the Dallas/Ft Worth area. Both metros are huge with a ton of TV sets, but neither one could really give a rats ass on either of those two teams and the ratings definitely show that.

Originally posted by iCRUNCH:

Rutgers 0.1/131K
eek.r191677.gif

Rutgers 0.1/131K
eek.r191677.gif
Agree that the Rutgers factor in NYC probably doesn't explain the numbers.

However, surely you aren't disputing that TV sets drove expansion.

Originally posted by Lone Clone:

eek.r191677.gif

From what I understand, BTN gets $6/year from each household subscribing to cable/satellite in the BTN's footprint. Add the NY, DC, Philadelphia markets and you have a massive influx of cash to the B1G. That's why the Pac poached Colorado and said no to Oklahoma (unless they could bring in Texas). And it's why further cash driven re-alignment should scare Iowa and ISU fans. Neither school brings many TV sets to the table.

While I agree, they will never kick a team out of the Big Ten Conference. Sorry but its historically one of the best conferences and they won't kick out a school. Now if a school wants to leave, I am sure they would be open to it, but I doubt they would ever say, "your from a small state leave our conference."

I really hope the BTN can get control of the ESPN games sometime soon. I know they like to showcase the Big Ten, but playing these games on the U & ESPN news is a joke. Just play them on the BTN network. The BTN also has to work on his basketball season scheduling (why start a game at 9:00pm central?) Also show ALL pre-season games, use the overflow channels and have the broadcasters be in Chicago. They experimented with that last year and it seemed to work out fine.

Originally posted by mtdew_fever:
Here is how they added up and along with their average rating. Having games on ESPNU is still good, but definitely hurts the averages as a lot of the time they are competing with games on ESPN and ESPN2.

This includes the number of games televised and the average/mean rating.

Iowa
ESPN - 6 - 1140
ESPN2 - 6 - 712
ESPNU - 2 - 203
ESPNews - 1 - 156

Iowa State
ESPN - 6 - 1531
ESPN2 - 9 - 485
ESPNU - 10 - 216
ESPNews - 1 - 162

Again...I would be interested to see what the Big 10 Network ratings were.

This post was edited on 4/14 3:01 PM by mtdew_fever

In bold. Clearly got a massive boost from the Big 12 Tournament Championship game, drawing 2.651M viewers. In that sense, winning to advance in tournaments is still huge.

Otherwise, it is a matter of playing teams that already enjoy a large television market, or being that team which no Iowa schools ever will.

As to Rutgers. At this time the Big Ten may get $6.00 per (as explained) but that is a negotiated figure and Rutgers' footprint is going to be worth what Rutgers' footprint produces. Eventually when they start getting their share of the TV money the question will come up, were they worth it? For about five reasons that I'm not going to get into again...it seems to me, NO, no they weren't worth it.

Finally, what a shame that this stuff is now part of the discussion on a college sports forum. It is undeniably relevant of course. Just as relevant to this old Iowa fan as a man approaching with a large knife must be to a hog hanging upside down in a meat locker.

I purposely didn't try to draw too many conclusions in saying one team garners better ratings than the other. I agree that in many ways it is an apples/oranges scenario. A large part of what surprised me is exactly how unpopular pre-March college basketball really is.

Originally posted by DavenportHawk8:
While I agree, they will never kick a team out of the Big Ten Conference. Sorry but its historically one of the best conferences and they won't kick out a school. Now if a school wants to leave, I am sure they would be open to it, but I doubt they would ever say, "your from a small state leave our conference."

I really hope the BTN can get control of the ESPN games sometime soon. I know they like to showcase the Big Ten, but playing these games on the U & ESPN news is a joke. Just play them on the BTN network. The BTN also has to work on his basketball season scheduling (why start a game at 9:00pm central?) Also show ALL pre-season games, use the overflow channels and have the broadcasters be in Chicago. They experimented with that last year and it seemed to work out fine.
Historically, it once had 10 teams.

Historically, all its members are AAU members.

Historically, it once allowed only one team to go to a bowl.

This ain't your father's Big Ten.

Well University of Chicago was apart of the Big Ten and they still get a % of money from the Big Ten every year. Maybe they will make a comeback and Chicago will have two teams in the Big Ten. Its never going to happen, just like Iowa being kicked out of the Big Ten.

Sorry but Iowa will always be apart of the Big Ten. There is no way they would drop the fan support/bowl support that they get from Iowa fans. Also Iowa fans are everywhere and they travel pretty darn well.

Now teams like Northwestern/Illinois/and even Purdue might be a different story. Those 3 could be asked to leave, they provide nothing to the conference.

Any news on Iowa starting Lacrosse team? Seems the Big Ten has started that up? John Hopkins University is a member of the Big Ten in that sport.

Well University of Chicago was apart of the Big Ten and they still get a % of money from the Big Ten every year. Maybe they will make a comeback and Chicago will have two teams in the Big Ten. Its never going to happen, just like Iowa being kicked out of the Big Ten.

Sorry but Iowa will always be apart of the Big Ten. There is no way they would drop the fan support/bowl support that they get from Iowa fans. Also Iowa fans are everywhere and they travel pretty darn well.

Now teams like Northwestern/Illinois/and even Purdue might be a different story. Those 3 could be asked to leave, they provide nothing to the conference.

Any news on Iowa starting Lacrosse team? Seems the Big Ten has started that up? John Hopkins University is a member of the Big Ten in that sport.
I don't want to be misunderstood. If I had to be the farm, I'd bet that no BiG team would be kicked out. But the league and the factors that drive it have changed drastically over the years.

Originally posted by AuroraHawk:

eek.r191677.gif

From what I understand, BTN gets $6/year from each household subscribing to cable/satellite in the BTN's footprint. Add the NY, DC, Philadelphia markets and you have a massive influx of cash to the B1G. That's why the Pac poached Colorado and said no to Oklahoma (unless they could bring in Texas). And it's why further cash driven re-alignment should scare Iowa and ISU fans. Neither school brings many TV sets to the table.
There is more to it than TV sets. Just ask Nebraska. That being said, I've felt a little bit of what you're referring to. I don't think it's a realistic concern but I have felt it. There is a reason Iowa doesn't have any professional sports teams.

Nebraska and Iowa are the only Big Ten teams
without Major League Sports in their states.

Minnesota, Mich. Mich St, Ohio St Penn St.
Purdue Indiana, Northwestern, Illinois, Rutgers,
Maryland and Wisconsin all have them.

My biggest takeaway from that is that Iowa and Iowa State don't draw viewers...their opponents do.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT