ADVERTISEMENT

*****Feb 17, 18 & 19 Baseball Games Thread (Snowbird Baseball Classic)*****

Remember Morgan started in the rotation last season. The guy has good stuff if he can harness it.

But it's great we are even debating this, having a 4th starter in the wings is great depth and comes in handy come tournament time.

He had control issues in high school and I thought that he relied too much on breaking pitches to get guys out as a high school pitcher. That’s usually a red flag. I trust Heller’s judgment. Hoping that Morgan has made huge strides. I remain skeptical until I see it on the field.

Iowa takes advantage of early Quinnipiac mistakes to go up 2-0 in B1.
Morgan gets into trouble in T3 but Iowa gets a DP to snuff a bases loaded 1 out Quinnipiac threat.
Dorighi hits a 2 run HR in B3 to give Iowa a 4-0 lead.
Runners on corners with 1 out in B3 . . . Frazier at plate.

Finish.
Them.
Off.

EDIT: 2 run gap shot by Frazier. 6-0 good guys.
EDIT #2: Iowa strands runners on 2nd and 3rd. Going to T4 up 6-0. Let's see if Morgan can have a strong inning. He's given up 2 hits, 2 HBP and, according to the Iowa radio announcer, been helped by some very good defense. I'm encouraged by 44 pitches in 3 innings and, perhaps more importantly, 29 strikes. No walks thus far.
EDIT #3: Quick inning for Morgan. 6 pitches. Comebacker, Single up the middle and then a 6-3 DP.

Last edited:
Morgan so far:

4 Innings Pitched
50 total pitches (3.57 pitches/batter faced)
33 strikes (66%)

14 batters faced
1 Strike out
6 ground outs
2 fly outs

0 Walks
0 Wild Pitches
2 Hit by Pitch
0 Balks

3 Hits
0 Runs
0 Errors by the team

Barring a complete meltdown, Iowa will be 3-0 when it heads to the tournament in Round Rock next weekend. 8-0 B4.

Morgan so far:

4 Innings Pitched
50 total pitches (3.57 pitches/batter faced)
33 strikes (66%)

14 batters faced
1 Strike out
6 ground outs
2 fly outs

0 Walks
0 Wild Pitches
2 Hit by Pitch
0 Balks

3 Hits
0 Runs
0 Errors by the team

Morgan is done after 4 innings and 50 pitches.

Llewellyn is in to pitch

Last edited:
Quinnipiac is the type of baseball team that a Regional hopeful needs to beat and to do so decisively. So far, so good.

Hoping for good weather in Texas, unlike last year. Nice opportunity for some early season solid wins - spectacular if they can somehow knock off LSU.

Quinnipiac doesn’t seem like much of a squad but also seems like the type of game we’ve lost in past seasons. Good to see the dominance.

Reactions: Franisdaman
Pitching us off to a great start. I get the opposition is inferior but to only allow 2 runs in 3 games is dang good.

Reactions: AuroraHawk
Quinnipiac doesn’t seem like much of a squad but also seems like the type of game we’ve lost in past seasons. Good to see the dominance.
I'd be surprised if Quinnipiac won 20 games this year. That said, Brecht's performance and control were impressive given last year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT