ADVERTISEMENT

Fever training camp - I like this from the first day

Tenacious E

HR Legend
Dec 4, 2001
“She sank 3-pointers and made elaborate passes throughout the first official day of practice, looking like the same player she was in college.”

Also, sounds like not only Iowa players have problems catching some spicy passes:

“Her new teammates will just have to get used to those passes coming their way.

"Her passing ability, I mean, you saw some of the passes," coach Christie Sides said. "Like, I'm more mad at how many missed layups that we had. It was off a couple of her passes that I think we're just not used to having, you know, someone who can make some of those passes. So, for me, it's her passing. I'm just enamored at times."

Last edited:
The Fever, the WNBA and the networks that will be televising Fever games have hit the jackpot.

Caitlin hit the jackpot already, of course. ;)

Missed layups happen with the Fever, too? Yikes.... LOL
She just plays at a delightful warp speed. Eyes always up looking to put pressure on a defense. It will be fun to watch when they are all in sync. Excited to watch.

She just plays at a delightful warp speed. Eyes always up looking to put pressure on a defense. It will be fun to watch when they are all in sync. Excited to watch.

The Fever have a nice foundation.

Kelsey Mitchell:...#2 Overall pick in 2018
Nalyssa Smith:….#2 Overall pick in 2022
Aliyah Boston:.….#1 Overall pick in 2023
Caitlin Clark:.....….#1 Overall pick in 2024

Caitlin (3,951) & Kelsey Mitchell (3,402) compiled 7,353 points in college and are the top 2 scorers in Big Ten history.

And how’s this for 4 of the 5 Fever starters? All of the listed stats are from the player’s previous season (Caitlin is the only rookie).

CAITLIN CLARK……..22 yrs old, 6’0”....31.6 pts, 7.4 rebs, 8.9 assts
KELSEY MITCHELL...28 yrs old, 5'8”.....18.2 pts, 1.6 rebs, 3.1 assts
NALYSSA SMITH…...23 yrs old, 6'4”.....15.5 pts, 9.2 rebs, 1.4 assts
ALIYAH BOSTON.…..22 yrs old, 6'5”.....14.5 pts, 8.4 rebs, 2.2 assts

“She sank 3-pointers and made elaborate passes throughout the first official day of practice, looking like the same player she was in college.”

Also, sounds like not only Iowa players have problems catching some spicy passes:

“Her new teammates will just have to get used to those passes coming their way.

"Her passing ability, I mean, you saw some of the passes," coach Christie Sides said. "Like, I'm more mad at how many missed layups that we had. It was off a couple of her passes that I think we're just not used to having, you know, someone who can make some of those passes. So, for me, it's her passing. I'm just enamored at times."

Here are a couple videos from today.

10 seconds in, CC nails a 3.

Crazy that we (well, a lot of us) are all excited about the upcoming WNBA season...LOL
With more excitement, here is an article on ESPN:

“Caitlin has a different eye for the game," Boston said. "You're able to see how well she passes the ball and how well she shoots it. You see her communicating, you see the way she can find you, I mean her passes are tremendous. I'm like, 'OK, I'll get a touch, just let me get down there' just because of how well she passes it."

Clark's transitioning from college ball to the pro level might be speeding up, too.

For most of the 2½-hour practice open to the media, Clark worked with Indiana's starters and, true to form, she lined up one 3-pointer after another, including some of those trademark logo 3s.

Still, it was Clark's crisp passes that took teammates and even second-year coach Christie Sides by surprise.

"Her ability to space the floor for us is just incredible," Sides said. "We're going to have five players on the court that can shoot it, but her passing ability -- you saw some of the passes she made. I'm more mad at the how many missed layups we had. I think we're just not used to having those, someone who can make those passes."

I wonder what they pay the dudes practicing against them?

They need to get rid of the gimmicky looking striped ball, just use a regular basketball.

Excited for the WNBA (Caitlin) season... Weird to say that. :oops:
I have not looked forward to a professional basketball season this much since Jordan's last 3-peat. Which, is also quite weird to say. But, here I am.

Kind of a random post but thought those interested in it would be in this thread. Check out the Ace's practice facility. Just a little bit of a difference....
Fu4qsteWAAceRoJ.jpg

The Fever only won 13 games out of 40 last year. Until I see her play with the top 7 players on their roster plus see them against other teams, it is a wait and see thing for me.

I have to keep reminding myself that there are only 12 teams in the soon to be most popular sport on the planet. ;)

Story from ESPN:

WNBA training camp 2024: Biggest storylines for all 12 teams

• ESPN
Apr 29, 2024

Training camps for the 2024 WNBA season opened Sunday, and the biggest news was the retirement of the Las Vegas Aces' Candace Parker.

While the legend said farewell to the WNBA, new talent is saying hello to the league. No. 1 draft pick Caitlin Clark is getting to know her Indiana Fever teammates, and the excitement level is building for a Fever franchise looking for its first playoff berth since 2016.

Kamilla Cardoso, fresh off an NCAA title with the South Carolina Gamecocks earlier this month, and Angel Reese, part of the LSU Tigers 2023 national championship team, are two rookies to watch for with the Chicago Sky. Meanwhile, veterans such as A'ja Wilson, who will try to lead the Aces to a third consecutive WNBA title, and Breanna Stewart, who hopes to get the New York Liberty their first championship, are both likely to vie for MVP again.

There are new coaches with the Sky (Teresa Weatherspoon) and the Phoenix Mercury (Nate Tibbetts), as the league plays its last season before expanding in the Bay Area in 2025. ESPN's Kevin Pelton, Alexa Philippou and Michael Voepel look at the biggest questions in training camp and for the season for each franchise as the WNBA prepares to tip off the regular season May 14.

i

Indiana Fever​

How much impact will No. 1 draft pick Caitlin Clark have right away on the Fever's scoring ability? Last season, Indiana was seventh in the league in scoring average (81.0 PPG) and sixth in offensive rating (103.0). Clark had one of the greatest offensive careers in college basketball history, with 3,951 points and 1,144 assists playing at a fast pace at Iowa. She will have even more accomplished targets to pass to now, led by 2023 WNBA Rookie of the Year Aliyah Boston, and no longer needs to be the leading scorer virtually every game.

The Fever were eighth in 3-pointers per game last season (8.5), and that number should go up with Clark, who had a record 548 3s in college. Clark was the primary ball handler all the time with the Hawkeyes, but she doesn't have to carry that load the same way with Indiana. -- Voepel

crazy that training camp started yesterday and 5 days later they are in Dallas playing a preseason game
Gitch your WNBA season passes boyz. I saw that some tickets in Dallas were going for $800 the other day. Impressive for a preseason game.

Crazy that we (well, a lot of us) are all excited about the upcoming WNBA season...LOL
I know!

We're going to be in Tyler Texas, an hour and a half east of Dallas. So, can't help myself ... we're going to bop over Friday. Never would have imagined paying $$$$ for a preseason WNBA event.

WNBA??? Preseason??? Wadafuk!

ANYWAY ... I need help, ya'll: to the Sports Fashionistas, if I wear Iowa gear - gotta represent! - is that cool/acceptable OR is it SUPER lame?

I daily tilter on the acceptable-lame edge as it is sooo ... c'mon now!

Would be interesting if she would play a little off-ball. I wonder if the Fever coach could actually get her to cut the basket.

Reactions: Tenacious E
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT