80.5POINTS87.5 (1ST)
51.1OPP POINTS70.9
46.4FG%51.1 (1ST)
31.7OPP FG%39.8
49.5REBS39.6
18.6OREB7.8
8.9 (1ST)BLOCKS2.5
29.5 (1ST)SCORING MARGIN16.7
South Carolina's depth defensively and offensively wears down the opposition. The Gamecocks lead the nation in the most bench points (36). The standout senior class nicknamed "the Freshies" have a record of 128-8.

Iowa's squad also has a lot of playing time together. The Hawkeye's starters have played 90 total games together that's the most of any DI women's team in the last 20 years.

Where the Gamecocks excel, there's an adverse stat that puts Iowa on the same level. Fire, meet water. South Carolina, meet Iowa.

Last edited:
We can learn a lot from the Maryland / SC game, where SC won by 11 points. SC currently is favored over Iowa by 11 points.

Maryland overall shot better from the field than SC (50% to 46%). Maryland shot better from three (7 of 14 for 50% vs 6-15 for 40% for SC).

2 key areas where Maryland lost the game and where Iowa must do better:

(1) Foul trouble. Maryland was called for 26 fouls to just 12 for SC. The impact on the game was huge:

* 2 key Maryland players sat during the 2nd quarter, where USC outscored MD 23-9.

* SC outscored MD by 6 at the FT line (16-26 for SC and 10-15 for MD).

Iowa simply cannot afford to get into foul trouble like Maryland did.

(2) Iowa cannot give up offensive rebounds like Maryland did vs SC and what Iowa did vs Colorado (had 21 offensive rebounds).

In the MD/SC game, look at how all of those offensive rebounds resulted in 12 more shot attempts (and 3 more buckets) than what MD had:

Offensive rebounds:
: SC
7: MD

Shot Attempts:
: SC.....(made 32 of them for 46%)
58: MD....(made 29 of them for 50%)

I'm calling it........
3 seconds left, Hawks down 1 with the ball. They set up an out of bounds play exactly like the Indiana game. Clark comes around the screen and gets the inbounds pass. 3 SC players converge on her. Instead of shooting she whips a pass in to a wide open Czinano under the basket, who lays it in for a 1 point Hawk victory!

Either that or they get boatraced by 20.

Obviously depends on how SC decides to defend, but this might be a game where Caitlin has to take 30-35 shots herself. Just have a feeling anything in the paint is going to be non-existent, and the lack of create your own shot ability from the other guards are gonna make it really hard to score consistently enough to keep up. So.. maybe tonight is the night for Caitlin to become selfish and just keep chuckin

Obviously depends on how SC decides to defend, but this might be a game where Caitlin has to take 30-35 shots herself. Just have a feeling anything in the paint is going to be non-existent, and the lack of create your own shot ability from the other guards are gonna make it really hard to score consistently enough to keep up. So.. maybe tonight is the night for Caitlin to become selfish and just keep chuckin
I think we'll take a ton of threes. Maybe even a season high. Not sure how many of those will be from Clark. The tough part for her is that Brea Beal is probably the toughest defender she's had to face all season.

I agree that it's going to be very tough to get much going inside. This is one of those games where you hope Iowa's threes beat South Carolina's twos.

I'm calling it........
3 seconds left, Hawks down 1 with the ball. They set up an out of bounds play exactly like the Indiana game. Clark comes around the screen and gets the inbounds pass. 3 SC players converge on her. Instead of shooting she whips a pass in to a wide open Czinano under the basket, who lays it in for a 1 point Hawk victory!

Either that or they get boatraced by 20.
As long as she doesn’t lob it down to the low post and the ball hits off the side of the backboard, effectively ending the game. If that doesn’t happen, then I think I can live with the outcome.

Yes I am still bitter.

Chip in for the women. They will need it.

rbstm-full-body-armor-suit-with-chest-shoulder-leg-groin-and-neck-armor-raid-boss-special-atomic-defense-1_800x.jpg

Reactions: THE_DEVIL
the day is here! the biggest game in Iowa basketball in the last 30+ years

Here’s how the two teams stack up statistically:

SOUTH CAROLINASTATSIOWA
80.5POINTS87.5 (1ST)
51.1OPP POINTS70.9
46.4FG%51.1 (1ST)
31.7OPP FG%39.8
49.5REBS39.6
18.6OREB7.8
8.9 (1ST)BLOCKS2.5
29.5 (1ST)SCORING MARGIN16.7
South Carolina's depth defensively and offensively wears down the opposition. The Gamecocks lead the nation in the most bench points (36). The standout senior class nicknamed "the Freshies" have a record of 128-8.

Iowa's squad also has a lot of playing time together. The Hawkeye's starters have played 90 total games together that's the most of any DI women's team in the last 20 years.

Where the Gamecocks excel, there's an adverse stat that puts Iowa on the same level. Fire, meet water. South Carolina, meet Iowa.
that defense / offense gap is insane

I think this is a particularly difficult matchup for Iowa. They have a very good, tall defender to cover Clark...probably the best defender she has seen. I think she will keep CC under her average. Czinano has difficulty finishing, with tall girls covering her underneath, and they have two. They will likely force Clark to give up the ball and force the other 3 girls to beat them. Not sure our other girls can continue to shoot such a high percentage outside. They are just a better team than anyone Iowa has played this year, too. I would take South Carolina and the points. I hope I'm wrong, but I just don't see this being a close game! :(

• Haha
Reactions: oldhawk56
I think this is a particularly difficult matchup for Iowa. They have a very good, tall defender to cover Clark...probably the best defender she has seen. I think she will keep CC under her average. Czinano has difficulty finishing, with tall girls covering her underneath, and they have two. They will likely force Clark to give up the ball and force the other 3 girls to beat them. Not sure our other girls can continue to shoot such a high percentage outside. They are just a better team than anyone Iowa has played this year, too. I would take South Carolina and the points. I hope I'm wrong, but I just don't see this being a close game! :(
images

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT