ADVERTISEMENT

Fran and Lisa Have a Type

Status
Not open for further replies.
The quintessential white athlete. Johnny and Jenny Wonderbread.

Works pretty well in women's basketball which has 0 parity nationwide but not so much in men's basketball, where 5 brothers from the field house, playing pick up basketball would wipe this team.

But then again, the State of Iowa, has a type which caters to its demographics.

You know and I know, if Caitlin Clark were black, the reception to her success within the State of Iowa would be tepid at best and some racial shit would be tossed by one of you.
Lol someone is mad that the women are better than the men and he's dealing with it very poorly.

Also, stop being a racist. It's unbecoming.

Works pretty well in women's basketball which has 0 parity nationwide but not so much in men's basketball
The days of 0 parity in the women game are over. Clark to Iowa was a big part of it. Juju at USC will continue it. UConn, Duke, NC, Stanford, Notre dame, Maryland, Tennessee, LSU are all beatable. Outside SC, every top team has lost at least 4 times this season. Kids aren’t going to the same 5 schools anymore. Some of that’s bc coaches left and programs collapsed. Some is just bc kids are going wherever they want now. USC has the #1 recruiting class for next year but last year they were bounced in the first round of the NCAAT. UCLA is stacked and recruiting extremely well but hasn’t done anything to earn it rly. When we made the Elite 8 in 2019 the disparity between the top 7 teams and everyone was obvious but it couldn’t be more different now.

Last edited:
Raveling's "success" was more to do with his connections to Nike and the underbelly of AAU ball. More then a few connections to possible bags-o-cash back in Georges day. Too bad he couldn't coach his way out of a paper bag though......
It should be even easier these days. Just purchase some players. They aren't there for school anyways.

Is it really? The best year we had was with Raveling's players. Guess their race?
For the millionth time, it’s not the race of the players, it’s how good they are!

“But Mark, if you look at college or pto players, aren’t most of them black?”

Why yes, yes they are. And if you ask me to pick a Bball team from 10 guys, 5 that are white, and 5 that are black, knowing nothing more about them, I’m going to pick the 5 black guys.

But that’s not how we recruit. We watch players and judge talent.

Again, we don’t need more black players, we need more good players.

Last edited:
For the millionth time, it’s not the race of the players, it’s how good they are!

“But Mark, if you look at college or pto players, aren’t most of them black?”

Why yes, yes they are. And if you ask me to pick a Bball team from 10 guys, 5 that are white, and 5 that are black, knifing nothing more about them, I’m going to pick the 5 black guys.

But that’s not how we recruit. We watch players and judge talent.

Again, we don’t need more black players, we need more good players.
Ok get me 2 pistol Pete's and 3 Larry Birds. Let's do this.

• Haha
Reactions: SoonerBeAHawk
Sure you would. In 54, it was segregated. In 1970, integration was just taking place and white players were overwhelmingly in the majority, in 1980, you had black players like Ronnie.
Sure YOU would yourself, whatever the hell your implying. You said best Iowa team, and I'm saying BS. We had a couple of future NBA guards, (both black by the way) in 1970 and George sure as hell didn't recruit them. In 1980 we had a pretty even mix of players just like we do this season. You can get after Fran for only being able to bring in middle level talent from the portal, BUT we'd be pretty good with a dude like Filipowski but came in 2nd on anonther stud.

• Haha
Reactions: GOHOX69
Sure YOU would yourself, whatever the hell your implying. You said best Iowa team, and I'm saying BS. We had a couple of future NBA guards, (both black by the way) in 1970 and George sure as hell didn't recruit them. In 1980 we had a pretty even mix of players just like we do this season. You can get after Fran for only being able to bring in middle level talent from the portal, BUT we'd be pretty good with a dude like Filipowski but came in 2nd on anonther stud.
You're saying in 1980, Lester was on par with the rest of the roster. Haha. Come on man.

Works pretty well in women's basketball which has 0 parity nationwide but not so much in men's basketball, where 5 brothers from the field house, playing pick up basketball would wipe this team.

You know and I know, if Caitlin Clark were black, the reception to her success within the State of Iowa would be tepid at best and some racial shit would be tossed by one of you.
BS

• Haha
Reactions: GOHOX69
Precisely! You are learning!
It's a small sample size. I'm sure there are white people who can beat a Kenyan at a marathon but I'm going to go with a Kenyan every time. Similarly, in bob sled, I'm going to go with a big white guy who eats wurst and lives in snow.

You're saying in 1980, Lester was on par with the rest of the roster. Haha. Come on man.
Wow you HAVE been drinking. NOWHERE did I say Ronnie was just one of the guys. I said the makeup of the team was about the same as this year. About half white, and half black. Your trying to hard to backup the ignorant post you made.

Reactions: HawksR1
Wow you HAVE been drinking. NOWHERE did I say Ronnie was just one of the guys. I said the makeup of the team was about the same as this year. About half white, and half black. Your trying to hard to backup the ignorant post you made.
You're trying to equate the talent and the two different eras? Bless your heart.

It's a small sample size. I'm sure there are white people who can beat a Kenyan at a marathon but I'm going to go with a Kenyan every time. Similarly, in bob sled, I'm going to go with a big white guy who eats wurst and lives in snow.
Why not instead see how they actually perform, and then decide on that versus race?

Reactions: Hawksbyamillion
Whatever works to resuscitate this moribund program. Don't worry. Fran will never be fired.
There are plenty here who think its time for a change, and different coaching. We have black players on this team as well, who aren't producers, and a couple of freshman (caucasian) players who are probably the two best returning players. Skin pigment isn't the issue, but some just can't get beyond that lens. WHO was the NBA MVP last season, I forgot......

Reactions: Hawksbyamillion
Are you saying we need to get more black players, of perhaps lesser talent, so that we can change the perception of our program, so that we can eventually get good black players?
But really though, I already put the words in your post. You should've been able to figure it out from there.......... ;)

"Just when they think they got the answers, I change the questions“

Sure they did. Then they realized how bigoted shit got. Ultimately, Stringer left for the same reasons.
I moved out of Iowa a long time ago. I don’t miss it.

Friend, you’re right. But you’re addressing people who don’t get it. Look at @Grumpy Old Hawk. He honestly believes Bob Cousy would be a stud in 2024 if the game was officiated differently. Let that sink in.

Seriously, that’s the caliber of idiot you are trying to make sense to. And, yes, Iowa needs a demographic overhaul in basketball. Iowa City is way cooler and more liberal than Ames, yet Iowa State has no problem getting black players on the team. And, yes, no matter how many crusty old farts from small town Iowa call someone “racist” for pointing out the obvious, the truth is still the truth. And it’s the same clowns who get mad about racial demographics being brought up in basketball who applaud similar statistics when they get mentioned in relation to gun violence. Go figure.

Friend, Larry Bird used to bitch at opposing coaches when they would put a white guy on him and Johnny Orr once said “Because there’s no blacks in Iowa” when he was asked why he wasn’t recruiting anyone in state. Obviously, Larry Bird and Johnny Orr hate white people.

Iowa needs to find a coach who can recruit like George Raveling and coach like Tom Davis. Needle in a haystack, but it should be the goal. At the very least, it’s time to move on from Fran. I, like you and others, am also tired of the racial makeup of the Iowa basketball team looking like Hickory High from the 1950s. At least Norman Dale could coach defense.

I understand there are probably quite a few in the fan base (especially on this board) who are happy that Iowa is probably the whitest team in P5 year in and year out. I seriously think more than you probably care to realize would prefer Iowa basketball stay white than to actually be a contender for something better than 18-22 wins a season. Based on comments I read here, I seriously believe that.

Good luck.

Bold is BS and you are obviously ignorant.

I moved out of Iowa a long time ago. I don’t miss it.

Friend, you’re right. But you’re addressing people who don’t get it. Look at @Grumpy Old Hawk. He honestly believes Bob Cousy would be a stud in 2024 if the game was officiated differently. Let that sink in.

Seriously, that’s the caliber of idiot you are trying to make sense to. And, yes, Iowa needs a demographic overhaul in basketball. Iowa City is way cooler and more liberal than Ames, yet Iowa State has no problem getting black players on the team. And, yes, no matter how many crusty old farts from small town Iowa call someone “racist” for pointing out the obvious, the truth is still the truth. And it’s the same clowns who get mad about racial demographics being brought up in basketball who applaud similar statistics when they get mentioned in relation to gun violence. Go figure.

Friend, Larry Bird used to bitch at opposing coaches when they would put a white guy on him and Johnny Orr once said “Because there’s no blacks in Iowa” when he was asked why he wasn’t recruiting anyone in state. Obviously, Larry Bird and Johnny Orr hate white people.

Iowa needs to find a coach who can recruit like George Raveling and coach like Tom Davis. Needle in a haystack, but it should be the goal. At the very least, it’s time to move on from Fran. I, like you and others, am also tired of the racial makeup of the Iowa basketball team looking like Hickory High from the 1950s. At least Norman Dale could coach defense.

I understand there are probably quite a few in the fan base (especially on this board) who are happy that Iowa is probably the whitest team in P5 year in and year out. I seriously think more than you probably care to realize would prefer Iowa basketball stay white than to actually be a contender for something better than 18-22 wins a season. Based on comments I read here, I seriously believe that.

Good luck.

“Don’t waste your time looking back. You’re not going that way.”​

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT