ADVERTISEMENT

Fran contract extension

lol

From whom would he “for sure” have drawn interest? Who’s hot to hire a 62 year old .500 in B1G coach?

List the programs (or NBA teams lol) or stop embarrassing yourself.
Beilein is a 68 year old with a career 57% conference winning percentage and has been mentioned as a candidate for both the Boston College and Indiana jobs provided he wants to return to coaching

Beilein is a 68 year old with a career 57% conference winning percentage and has been mentioned as a candidate for both the Boston College and Indiana jobs provided he wants to return to coaching

Hahahaha

.578... and you’re comparing what beilein accomplished at Michigan to what Fran has accomplished at Iowa?

I think you might be leaving a few things out on John’s side of the ledger.

smh

List the programs rumored to be interested in hiring Fran McCaffrey.

Last edited:
Honestly.,. Fra

Hahahaha

.578... and you’re comparing what beilein accomplished at Michigan to what Fran has accomplished at Iowa?

smh

You used the age and conference record as a qualifier to why there’s absolutely no way than any other programs would be looking at McCaffery, not me. I was showing that age and conference record are pretty irrelevant when compared to how a coach’s team performs in March as well as “what have you done lately?”

If you think that (pre-extension) Fran makes the Elite 8 or better this year and doesn’t receive one call from one school or one NBA team looking for a great offensive mind, then I don’t really know what to say... I think most AD’s around CBB and NBA execs are at least business minded enough to want to learn more or put out a feeler for a coach who can provide program stability with decent upside as Fran is

Reactions: iahawks10
Lyao all you want but the answer is 5 (6 w/out COVID) out of 11 seasons. Best seed before this year? 7. Is this really a chest puffing body of work? Making the tourney as a seven seed every other year? Really?

I like some of our young talent but come on... things are going to look a lot different offensively without the POY on the floor (defensively we might actually be much improved).

I like Fran. Fran is a good coach who has built a solid program in a tough place to do that. Fran certainly deserved to be extended... but let’s get real... he isn’t in demand in the P5 world.
I'm in no way saying Iowa has been some juggernaut under Fran, I was responding very specifically to the 1 decent year every 10 years and not in the tournament most years crap in the post I quoted.

You, Sir, are dismissed.

Fran simply used the leverage of his team's current success to secure his spot until JMac, and maybe brother Weiskamp, and some other young high-quality local talents are on the roster. I doubt there was any kind of "extend me, or I might go elsewhere" approach. Simply a reward for a couple year's worth of good-to-great success, at least by Iowa's standards.

Fran is a quality Big Man away from having excellent teams for the coming 2-3 years, with the current freshman and sophomore class providing the core of the team. The coming team has athletic driving point guards in JT and Ulis, Very athletic wings in Perkins, PMAC and the Murrays. Hopefully a healthy Fredrick lights up the arc, along with Sandfort. Perkins could be really special if he could become even a 35% 3 point shooter.

And maybe with some more muscle converted from raw bulk, Josh O can be a Kofi type center with better range. Use that size and muscle to simply move others from the lane, and dunk all day.

A big man in reserve might be all that team needs until Jack and friends arrive.

Sounds like a good few years with regular upper BIG finishes and NCAA appearances to end Fran's career. I'm very good with that.

Hahahaha

Specifically...
2 Final Fours (NCAA runner up both times)
2 more Sweet 16s
2 B1G regular season Champs
2 B1G tourney champs

in roughly the same number of years.

Have you seen us play this year without Garza on the floor??? Now imagine that without Bohannon’s three’s. .500 in conference next year is unreachable with current players alone.

Well, okay, that's assuming no Iowa player improves and develops in the offseason. While Iowa likely regresses next season, I don't think they regress to the point of being a "shit show."

Love Beilein. He did a great job at Michigan. You just have to wonder if he would have done the same great job at Iowa. And I would bet if McCaffery were coaching at Indiana, he wouldn't currently be looking for a job.

Why no other respectable offers??? 100 4star b-ball recruits each year. At the minimum we should get one per year!?!!! I guess we can just sit back and hope we continue the trend of one decent year out if every ten. And, no, we will not be making the NCAA tournament next year. Very limited scoring options. Selection Sunday will just be another Sunday like most basketball seasons.
. Iowa State is looking for fans like you—- just go

lol

From whom would he “for sure” have drawn interest? Who’s hot to hire a 62 year old .500 in B1G coach?

List the programs (or NBA teams lol) or stop embarrassing yourself.
In not saying Kentucky unc Duke etc are knocking down the door and like I said I highly doubt he would leave but you can't tell me there aren't teams who wouldn't be interested in a coach who has a team as a 2 seed. I get you have this vendetta against him because you feel he should have led us to bigger things by now but he is a great freaking coach and we are lucky to have him and it was a good idea to extend him

So let’s discuss this “new President after a March” - maybe I don’t understand the calendar as well or there’s some intricacy I’m not aware of... but by my math our first round game is the 20th and our second round game is the 22nd, provided we make it but we better... sweet 16 game on either 26th or 27th, possible elite 8 game 28th or 29th.

see my point yet???

So let’s discuss this “new President after a March” - maybe I don’t understand the calendar as well or there’s some intricacy I’m not aware of... but by my math our first round game is the 20th and our second round game is the 22nd, provided we make it but we better... sweet 16 game on either 26th or 27th, possible elite 8 game 28th or 29th.

see my point yet???
It's pretty obvious what happened here. They are protecting their guy. I like Fran but the timing of this is terrible. He has sons that play for the team and he is a .500 coach with a temperament. Nobody better than Iowa was going to go after him. You don't have to be an investment banker to see we just rebought the stock at its apex.

Last edited:
It's pretty obvious what happened here. They are protecting their guy. I like Fran but the timing of this is terrible. He has sons that play for the team and he is a .500 coach with a temperament. Nobody better than Iowa was going to go after him.

Was it a coincidence that a seven foot center commits to Iowa the same day Fran’s extension was announced? Iowa is a number two seed in the NCAA tournament and will hopefully make a run to the Elite Eight. This contract extension is for recruiting purposes and will hopefully help Fran capitalize on this season. This could backfire, but I am going to be optimistic about the next few weeks.

You used the age and conference record as a qualifier to why there’s absolutely no way than any other programs would be looking at McCaffery, not me. I was showing that age and conference record are pretty irrelevant when compared to how a coach’s team performs in March as well as “what have you done lately?”

If you think that (pre-extension) Fran makes the Elite 8 or better this year and doesn’t receive one call from one school or one NBA team looking for a great offensive mind, then I don’t really know what to say... I think most AD’s around CBB and NBA execs are at least business minded enough to want to learn more or put out a feeler for a coach who can provide program stability with decent upside as Fran is

Comparing conference records (which he introduced) isn’t fair, but somehow comparing Michigan to Iowa is. Sounds about right around here.

Reactions: unoHawkeye
Was it a coincidence that a seven foot center commits to Iowa the same day Fran’s extension was announced? Iowa is a number two seed in the NCAA tournament and will hopefully make a run to the Elite Eight. This contract extension is for recruiting purposes and will hopefully help Fran capitalize on this season. This could backfire, but I am going to be optimistic about the next few weeks.
The 6'10 guy that can't jump over a 5 gallon bucket? The 3 star kid that makes Spencer petras look like hulk hogan?? That's what Iowa has been missing on making a run......... we are a 2 seed, that isn't going to change with a contract. Have you heard of someone performing in a "contract year", why show your hand early if you are Barta? What does it gain youto do this early?

• Haha
Reactions: 01135965
The 6'10 guy that can't jump over a 5 gallon bucket? The 3 star kid that makes Spencer petras look like hulk hogan?? That's what Iowa has been missing on making a run......... we are a 2 seed, that isn't going to change with a contract. Have you heard of someone performing in a "contract year", why show your hand early if you are Barta? What does it gain youto do this early?

Why put down a kid who just committed to Iowa? He has size that you cannot teach and is a hard worker from I read in the thread about his commitment. He is a three star, top 250 recruit with offers from Syracuse, Virginia Tech, and Penn State.

Paying someone based in performance during a contract year works for professional athletes, not college coaches. Who is going to commit to a coach who is on an expiring contract? Recruiting will suffer, which will ultimately impact performance down the road. This is not something that Iowa can afford to let happen. They need to capitalize on this season and the national recognition that it has brought.

Last edited:
Why put down a kid who just committed to Iowa? He has size that you cannot teach and is a hard worker from I read in the thread about his commitment.

Paying someone based in performance during a contract year works for professional athletes, not college coaches. Who is going to commit to a coach who is on an expiring contract? Recruiting will suffer, which will ultimately impact performance down the road. This is not something that Iowa can afford to let happen. They need to capitalize on this season and the national recognition that it has brought.
The guy has 2 sons on the team, he isn't going anywhere.

I certainly wouldn’t want to be in the position IU IASt or Minn is now
We know what we have in Fran VS a mid level shot in the dark which is probably the best we could expect, not to mention his 3rd son is probably a 4 star

I understand Fran may not be going anywhere. I never said he was. I said that I believe the contract extension was for recruiting purposes, not to keep Fran from taking another job.
We are going to have to agree to disagree. Imo this is another example.of terrible timing on Barta's part. Go win in the tournament, that should be your recruiting pitch not "im not going anywhere." They did this so if he shits the bed before the s16 the hard questions don't have to be asked.

0:17 - why would he need to jump any higher?

I didn't realize he was only signed through 23....thought it was 25 for some reason. Didn't mean to sound overly negative on Fran, he has been solid. Just not elite, thought it made sense to wait til after tourney but getting a commit yesterday makes me realize I was wrong. And if luka takes us on a run here the price goes up. I normally don't like excessively long contracts and how fast things went south with Prohm is an example why but upon further review I'm fine with it. My bad on previous post

Hahahaha

smh

Randy Peterson said six NBA teams requested interviews.

My point was the height and not the block. You know what you call a 7’0 three level scorer with a 20 inch vertical? A five star recruit and lottery pick
Agreed. You know what you call a 6'10 guy that needs to add significant weight that cannot clear a beachball rolling at him?

A project.

You know what type of player a D1, p5, coach in the best conference in the nation shouldn't need a contract to go get?

A project.

Luka
Fran
Frank
Are we now discounting coaches for recruiting players that develop?
You are undervaluing Frank's impact on Luka. I'm not undervaluing anything. This didn't need to happen right now and the only reason it did was to protect Fran from the tough questions if this team shits the bed and we have to acknowledge another year of lowered expectations.

Last edited:
You are undervaluing Frank's impact on Luka. I'm not undervaluing anything. This didn't need to happen right now and the only reason it did was to protect Fran from the tough questions if this teams shits the bed and we have to acknowledge another year of lowered expectations.
You come across as crossing your fingers that the Hawks or primarily Fran as you have said numerous times now, “shits the bed.”
You think I’m undervaluing Frank? I think you are inexplicably undervaluing the impact Fran had on Luka. Listen to Luka talk about Fran. Part of it may be maturity, but under Frank, Luka developed into a scarcely recruited 3 star. After coming to Iowa, he turned into NPOY.

I think even the super fans know deep down this timing is stupid. Watch us lose in the first weekend, Toussaint enter the portal, and JW announce he’s going pro.

In not saying Kentucky unc Duke etc are knocking down the door and like I said I highly doubt he would leave but you can't tell me there aren't teams who wouldn't be interested in a coach who has a team as a 2 seed. I get you have this vendetta against him because you feel he should have led us to bigger things by now but he is a great freaking coach and we are lucky to have him and it was a good idea to extend him

Ok... sorry but I'm going to have to call you out as being a dishonest dumbf*ck.

I like Fran. Fran is a good coach who has built a solid program in a tough place to do that. Fran certainly deserved to be extended... but let’s get real... he isn’t in demand in the P5 world.

Who wrote that? That's right -- me. In this very thread. The person you say has "this vendetta against him."

You need read more. Comprehend more and write less.

I can tell you with a very high level of confidence that that there aren't power 5 programs hot to hire Fran McCaffery away from Iowa. If you know otherwise, list the programs. It's ridiculous.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pepperman
If you think that (pre-extension) Fran makes the Elite 8 or better this year and doesn’t receive one call from one school or one NBA team looking for a great offensive mind, then I don’t really know what to say...

2 things.

1) "If Fran does...." isn't that the whole point of discussion here? That this extension was unnecessarily premature (by a few weeks)? If he eats a bag in the round of 32 are those NBA programs still looking for a "great offensive mind?" lol

2) I know what to say if you don't -- there is no NBA team looking to hire Fran McCaffery as a head coach. If you disagree, name them. Same with these theoretical college programs -- list them.

It's a joke.

We are going to have to agree to disagree. Imo this is another example.of terrible timing on Barta's part. Go win in the tournament, that should be your recruiting pitch not "im not going anywhere." They did this so if he shits the bed before the s16 the hard questions don't have to be asked.

Barta is going to have some questions to answer for extending Fran if this team “shits the bed.” I understand the reason for extending Fran’s contract as I have said above. I do agree that it was probably not necessary to do this prior to the tournament though.

You come across as crossing your fingers that the Hawks or primarily Fran as you have said numerous times now, “shits the bed.”
You think I’m undervaluing Frank? I think you are inexplicably undervaluing the impact Fran had on Luka. Listen to Luka talk about Fran. Part of it may be maturity, but under Frank, Luka developed into a scarcely recruited 3 star. After coming to Iowa, he turned into NPOY.
I am hoping we win the whole damn thing and at that time I certainly will eat crow but I cannot excuse the consistent horrible management by the AD. The best thing anyone can say about this is "atleast they told us this time". Think about that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT