ADVERTISEMENT

From Wikipedia Regarding Sayers

cohawk

HR Heisman
Sep 10, 2001
Sayers is considered by many to have been the greatest open field runner in college football history.[1][2] While being interviewed by Len Kasper and Bob Brenly during a broadcast of aChicago Cubs game on September 8, 2010, Sayers said he had originally intended to go to the University of Iowa. Sayers said that he decided against going to Iowa after the Iowa head coach, Jerry Burns, did not have time to meet Sayers during his one campus visit.[3]

I posted about this in another thread. Wow, would that have been great, if Sayers would have played for the Hawkeyes. Did you, or anyone else get the chance to see him play in person?

Sayers is considered by many to have been the greatest open field runner in college football history.[1][2] While being interviewed by Len Kasper and Bob Brenly during a broadcast of aChicago Cubs game on September 8, 2010, Sayers said he had originally intended to go to the University of Iowa. Sayers said that he decided against going to Iowa after the Iowa head coach, Jerry Burns, did not have time to meet Sayers during his one campus visit.[3]
Ugh....Sayers was the type of talent who could have made a huge difference in the trajectory of the program in the 60's. Instead of the downward slide of the late 60's and entire 70's we might have seen a different scenario play out. The Hawks weren't very far removed from a couple Rose Bowls when Sayers would have signed.....

Reactions: Hawkward
I posted about this in another thread. Wow, would that have been great, if Sayers would have played for the Hawkeyes. Did you, or anyone else get the chance to see him play in person?
I saw him play at Ames my freshman year there. I remember him breaking a long run, and ISU's safety, Tom Vaughn, ran him out of bounds eventually. The two of them jogged back to the line of scrimmage talking and joking. Both were first-team AA.

Ugh....Sayers was the type of talent who could have made a huge difference in the trajectory of the program in the 60's. Instead of the downward slide of the late 60's and entire 70's we might have seen a different scenario play out. The Hawks weren't very far removed from a couple Rose Bowls when Sayers would have signed.....

Evy was not going to let Iowa have any kind of sustained success while he was AD. He intententionally tanked the program. Jerry Burns was actually a really good football coach.

Evy was not going to let Iowa have any kind of sustained success while he was AD. He intententionally tanked the program. Jerry Burns was actually a really good football coach.
That's a commonly held opinion, and it may be true, but it makes a lot more sense when applied to Ray Nagel than to Burns. I'm not aware of anything Evy did, or failed to do, that would have had a negative impact on Burns' chances to win. He (Evy) certainly didn't leave the cupboard bare.

Burns had some injury problems, like Larry Ferguson and Wilburn Hollis, that ruined his first couple of teams. Then came the catastrophic '65 season. Iowa was NOT ranked #1 in the pre-season by Playboy, contrary to popular belief. For many years I saved that issue and won quite a few bets with Hawkeye fans. But the Hawkeyes were ranked very high by most publications (Sports Illustrated being an exception). Playboy did pick them 9-1, second to Michigan in the Big Ten, named Burns Coach of the Year and put three Iowa players on its all-America team -- Gary Snook, John Niland and Karl Noonan. The team won one game.

That's a commonly held opinion, and it may be true, but it makes a lot more sense when applied to Ray Nagel than to Burns. I'm not aware of anything Evy did, or failed to do, that would have had a negative impact on Burns' chances to win.
You mean besides slashing the budget limiting the number of trips the coaches could make, cutting the number of hosted visits and basically forcing the coaches to take visiting prospects to Quadrangle cafeteria rather than the Ranch or the Lark?

And those are just the observables; I've heard of worse Evy did to Burns.
And even worse he did to Nagle

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT