ADVERTISEMENT

Gazette reporters on where things currently stand

OnceAhawk

HR MVP
Jan 29, 2015
Here is the April 13 edition of On Iowa Live. It's pretty good.

Marc Morehouse and Scott Dochterman of the Gazette discuss the recent Iowa Hawkeye Football Spring Scrimmage; they also discuss EVERY position group and where things stand.

Staying on the football theme, NFL football scout Dan Shonka from Ourlads' NFL Scouting gives his draft opinion on some draft eligible players from Iowa universities.

Then Iowa Hawkeye basketball great Greg Stokes was on hand to talk about his daughter, Kia (her 3 NCAA championships, her WNBA future, etc).

here is the link:
http://www.kcrg.com/article/20150413/ARTICLE/304139996/1458

This post was edited on 4/14 5:17 PM by OnceAhawk

one of the things brought up in this video is all the OL Iowa produces. However, what about the skills positions; well they answer that by stating that in the 16 years under KF, 1 QB, 2 RBs and 3 WRs have been drafted in the NFL draft; not good

Morehouse said people ask him why Iowa does not win more with all the Iowa players who are now playing in the NFL. Well, most of them are lineman and all the game losses are not because of the lack of lineman it is because of the lack of skill position talent.

the video is under 50 min long; i encourage you all to watch
biggrin.gif

Not a single QB from Iowa in KF era has thrown a pass in a NFL regular season game.

Originally posted by HoundedHawk:
Not a single QB from Iowa in KF era has thrown a pass in a NFL regular season game.
I predict Stanzi will break that streak this year
smile.r191677.gif

Originally posted by OnceAhawk:
one of the things brought up in this video is all the OL Iowa produces. However, what about the skills positions; well they answer that by stating that in the 16 years under KF, 1 QB, 2 RBs and 3 WRs have been drafted in the NFL draft; not good

Morehouse said people ask him why Iowa does not win more with all the Iowa players who are now playing in the NFL. Well, most of them are lineman and all the game losses are not because of the lack of lineman it is because of the lack of skill position talent.

ec
Trying to think of these guys off the top of my head,

QB - Stanzi
RB - Greene
RB - Betts (HF recruit)
WR - McNutt
WR - Kasper (HF recruit)
WR - ????

Who was the third receiver I'm missing? Hill maybe? Would think it would be a guy from a while ago, making him the third Fry recuit. That would mean half the guys mentioned Kirk didn't actually bring in if I am correct.

That is sad.

Originally posted by ThatsFootball:

ec

QB - Stanzi
RB - Greene
RB - Betts (HF recruit)
WR - McNutt
WR - Kasper (HF recruit)
WR - ????

Who was the third receiver I'm missing? Hill maybe? Would think it would be a guy from a while ago, making him the third Fry recuit. That would mean half the guys mentioned Kirk didn't actually bring in if I am correct.

That is sad.
What about the Tight Ends? More than half a dozen Iowa TEs have played or currently playing pro ball. TE is certainly a skill position, right?

QB/WR/RB - not a very good record, I agree.

The term "skill position" is a bit misleading anyway - every football position requires unique skills. An argument can be made that offensive lineman require a more diverse set of skills than wide receiver, for example.

Originally posted by nu2u:

ec

QB - Stanzi
RB - Greene
RB - Betts (HF recruit)
WR - McNutt
WR - Kasper (HF recruit)
WR - ????

That is sad.
What about the Tight Ends? More than half a dozen Iowa TEs have played or currently playing pro ball. TE is certainly a skill position, right?

The term "skill position" is a bit misleading anyway - every football position requires unique skills. An argument can be made that offensive lineman require a more diverse set of skills than wide receiver, for example.
Funny, I don't recall writing 'skill position' once in my post. But I agree with you for the most part. Kirk has had very good success with tight ends which has been well documented.

But it looks like you agree that his QB, RB, and WR track record is bad. That is good to see.

ec

QB - Stanzi
RB - Greene
RB - Betts (HF recruit)
WR - McNutt
WR - Kasper (HF recruit)
WR - ????

That is sad.
your memory is better than mine
smile.r191677.gif

ec

QB - Stanzi
RB - Greene
RB - Betts (HF recruit)
WR - McNutt
WR - Kasper (HF recruit)
WR - ????

That is sad.

i agree; the term is a bit misleading

I have always said that you HAVE to be strong on both lines (OL needs to create holes for the RB and pass protect; the DL has to plug things up when the opponent runs and apply pressure when the QB passes), which Iowa traditionally has been; with the offensive lineman we produce, you would think we'd be able to get a stud RB on a regular basis like Melvin Gordon....instead, the last couple years we've had a FB running at tailback; HUGE HUGE issue

ec

QB - Stanzi
RB - Greene
RB - Betts (HF recruit)
WR - McNutt
WR - Kasper (HF recruit)
WR - ????

That is sad.

The term is not misleading. Unless you want to try to make the argument that every position takes a skill so every position is a skill position. Kickers and punters have a skill. They are skill players too? It is agreed upon what the meaning of skill position is and it is a fact that KF has a poor track record of recruiting/developing skill position players.

Originally posted by cecilB:
Defensive Backs have logged a lot of NFL seasons.
Just off the top of my head:

Derek Pagel
Scott Bowen
Sean Considine
Bob Sanders
Bradley Fletcher
Amari Spievey
Charles Godfrey
Tyler Sash
Micah Hyde
Shaun Prater
Jordan Bernstine

Originally posted by EvilMonkeyInTheCloset:

Derek Pagel
Scott Bowen
Sean Considine
Bob Sanders
Bradley Fletcher
Amari Spievey
Charles Godfrey
Tyler Sash
Micah Hyde
Shaun Prater
Jordan Bernstine
would everyone agree that when KF's teams were good, he had a great OL, a great D, and solid special teams?

It seems that a great OL, a great D and solid special teams helped cover up average QB and RB play (example: 2004 was the year we were down to our 5th string walk on RB, correct? And we still won the B1G title)

Originally posted by HoundedHawk:
Chuck Long has had probably the most successful NFL career followed by McGwire and Vlasic. I think Long had 10 more picks than TD's but

Somewhat shockingly (considering the change of pholisophy on offense in the 80's), Iowa has not had a successful QB in the NFL post 70's. Drew Tate might be considered an * due to his play in the CFL.

Digging further on the 80's and what I consider Bill Snyder to be a QB whisperer, has Snyder ever had a successful NFL QB?

Derek Pagel
Scott Bowen
Sean Considine
Bob Sanders
Bradley Fletcher
Amari Spievey
Charles Godfrey
Tyler Sash
Micah Hyde
Shaun Prater
Jordan Bernstine
Milk
Orange Juice
Eggs
Banana
Muffin
Bagel
Bacon
Pancakes
Sausage
Leftover Pizza

- Things which I have had for breakfast the past 2 weeks. Equally as relevant as Iowa DBs in the NFL when discussing the lack of NFL QBs, RBs, and WRs during Kirk's tenure.

Yes, the semantics of "skill" position can be debated extensively. The point is that the QB, RB and WR positions have a huge impact on the game. Those are the positions can touch the ball every play (or nearly so) or have the ability to turn a mistake by the defense into a huge play or a touchdown.

It's no surprise that the two most successful periods of the KF tenure (2002-04 and 08-9 and half of 10) were when Iowa had it's best QB/WR/RB combos in place.

2002 - Banks (not an NFL QB, but a great run/pass combination and great college player). Russell/Lewis at RB. WR of CJ Jones, Mo Brown and Hinkel. Only guy to appear in a regular season NFL game of that group is Jones. But Banks, Russell/Lewis and Mo Brown were high-quality college players. And that team also had Dallas Clark, one of the best pass-catching TE's in the NFL from 2003-2010.
2003 - definite drop-off. Had Russell and Lewis for part of year until he got hurt. Still had Mo Brown, who got hurt against ISU. Chandler at QB. KF's best coaching job and a great defense got that team to 10 wins.
2004 - Drew Tate, a great college QB. RB was devastated leaving Sam Brownlee at RB. WR were Solomon and Hinkel. O'Keefe's best coaching job, taking a sophomore QB, competent receivers and a great defense to 10 wins.
2008 - best overall skill position talent. Stanzi at QB. WR were McNutt and DJK. RB Greene. Looks like what OSU throws out there every year. DJK wasn't drafted but had NFL talent. Off-field issues kept him from being drafted.
2009 - Stanzi QB, RB Robinson/Wegher, WR McNutt and DJK. Again, quite good. Neither Wegher/Robinson likely would have made NFL even if they didn't have off-field issues, but both above-average RB talent for college.
2010 - Same skill talent (minus Wegher) but wheels fell off.

Iowa doesn't need to have an NFL player at every skill position (QB, WR, RB) to be successful. But it does need better than what has been on the field from 2011 forward.

Derek Pagel
Scott Bowen
Sean Considine
Bob Sanders
Bradley Fletcher
Amari Spievey
Charles Godfrey
Tyler Sash
Micah Hyde
Shaun Prater
Jordan Bernstine
Milk
Orange Juice
Eggs
Banana
Muffin
Bagel
Bacon
Pancakes
Sausage
Leftover Pizza

- Things which I have had for breakfast the past 2 weeks. Equally as relevant as Iowa DBs in the NFL when discussing the lack of NFL QBs, RBs, and WRs during Kirk's tenure.
Got it....except the OP didn't specifically call for discussion ONLY pertaining to the lack of NFL QBs, RBs and WRs I.T.T., and I was simply adding on to cecilB's post........soooooooo I guess deal with it.
laugh.r191677.gif

keep in mind that they discuss EVERY position group and where things stand. As you can see, there are a lot of issues, everywhere.

ec
You can have a good team without upper level talent at these positions. But it's a lot tougher and not very likely to be in the mix for the league title or talked about on the national scene.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT