ADVERTISEMENT

Golf Driver

hexumhawk

HR Legend
Sep 24, 2003
North Liberty
You want your driver? No, he's not my type.

Anyways, my teenager busted up my Callaway Rouge Diablo driver at Pinseakers the other day. Still probably useable but gives me a great excuse to buy a "new" driver. Not going to pop on a new driver just because I don't think they are worth the overcharge.

Looking at probably a 1-3 year old model. Was playing a regular flex, regular length, 10.5 degree previously. I'm going on 47 and am 6'4 with a moderate to fast swing speed. When I played all the time pre kids, I was probably a 4-6 handicap but you could probably add a couple to that now. Averaged around 240-260 off the tee but rarely missed fairways and played a slight fade. I have also never been "fitted" for clubs so there is that. Would like to add some yardage.

Any recommendations for drivers in that wheelhouse and thoughts on low spin drivers and loft. I have toyed with going down to a 9 degree but not sure I want to sacrifice my consistency and placement for an extra 20 yards.

Anyways, my teenager busted up my Callaway Rouge Diablo driver at Pinseakers the other day. Still probably useable but gives me a great excuse to buy a "new" driver. Not going to pop on a new driver just because I don't think they are worth the overcharge.

Looking at probably a 1-3 year old model. Was playing a regular flex, regular length, 10.5 degree previously. I'm going on 47 and am 6'4 with a moderate to fast swing speed. When I played all the time pre kids, I was probably a 4-6 handicap but you could probably add a couple to that now. Averaged around 240-260 off the tee but rarely missed fairways and played a slight fade. I have also never been "fitted" for clubs so there is that. Would like to add some yardage.

Any recommendations for drivers in that wheelhouse and thoughts on low spin drivers and loft. I have toyed with going down to a 9 degree but not sure I want to sacrifice my consistency and placement for an extra 20 yards.

Take 2 weeks off and quit golf.

Lots of variables to consider in anyone's golf swing. Particularly when you're taller.

When I switched drivers I went to Austed's Golf in Cedar Rapids to get feedback on my swing in the simulator room. It's not a fitting ($), but if you provide the same detail as above to the pro there, you can hit multiple drivers and you'll have a much more concrete idea on what direction to go. There is no obligation to purchase from them.

Good luck with your search, and keep hitting 'em straight!

Callaway Mavrik but had a Diablo for a long time, good club. Always wanted to test a Ping driver but never got there.

Reactions: JustSayOV
Golf isn't a sport
I will bite!!! A full golf swing along with the practice swings are certainly physical activity. It is not going to make you gasp for air etc. But as someone who consistently used to hit it 280-320 you do engage and explode with a lot of muscles. And then to be really good you always need very good eye hand coordination, balance, and superb skill in less than full shots and putting.

Their is certainly can be a lot of competition in golf as an individual or on a team and in pairs. I really love it for all the thinking you have to do on every shot taking into account the lie, the lay of the land, the wind, temp as far as ball compression, grain of the grass, slope etc,

sport
/spôrt/
noun

1. 1.
    an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment.

i look at golf, as a sport, the same as i would bowling or darts or billiards. not physically exerting but high on the hand eye coordination, muscle memory/repetition scale.

you can be a great athlete and be good at any and all of those things, but being great at any of them doesn't mean you're an athlete.

oh, and no recommendation on a driver... golf courses and cemeteries are the biggest wastes of prime real estate. just ask Wang, you'd be better served buying property behind the great wall... on the good side.

edit for spelling

Reactions: hexumhawk

Can you get a new shaft or did the kid damage the club head?

You should look at the new Q10 series as a starting point then look at deals for last year clubs on the line.

I live near Titliest, Calloway & Taylormade. Their HQ's are within 2 miles of each other. I prefer Taylormade for drivers & fairway metals & Titliest of irons. Just get what you feel the most comfortable with.

When you say "busted up" what do you mean? I broke a Nike driver back in the day, took it down to Golfzilla and they had Nike sent me a new "last years model" for the cost of shipping.

If you liked your Diablo, perhaps explore that avenue. And when I say broke my driver, I mean the head. And yes I know Nike doesn't do clubs anymore, just an example. And before more knuckleheads say "there is no Golfzilla, they closed" yes I know that as well.

i look at golf, as a sport, the same as i would bowling or darts or billiards. not physically exerting but high on the hand eye coordination, muscle memory/repetition scale.

you can be a great athlete and be good at any and all of those things, but being great at any of them doesn't mean you're an athlete.

oh, and no recommendation on a driver... golf courses and cemeteries are the biggest wastes of prime real estate. just ask Wang, you'd be better served buying property behind the great wall... on the good side.

edit for spelling
How do you feel about baseball?

If you'd like we could go for a walk at Waveland in DSM, on a sunny 95 degree day in July and play 18.

Reactions: LukaDuka
When you say "busted up" what do you mean? I broke a Nike driver back in the day, took it down to Golfzilla and they had Nike sent me a new "last years model" for the cost of shipping.

If you liked your Diablo, perhaps explore that avenue. And when I say broke my driver, I mean the head. And yes I know Nike doesn't do clubs anymore, just an example. And before more knuckleheads say "there is no Golfzilla, they closed" yes I know that as well.
Yeah, broke the head. I will look into that.

ping g425 is a great driver but getting fitted is always best but if you don't really want to do that look on WhatsApp they have lots of golf shows along with anything you can think of. You can get clubs for cheap my son picked up the new calloway smoke driver for under $300.

You ABSOLUTELY want to get fitted if you can afford a new one. The tweaks a GOOD fitter can make with the shaft (actually more important than the head) are totally worth it. New technology is nutty!

If you used to be a 4-6 handicap, the Titleist TSI1 (9 degree) was an awesome driver. I am now using the Titleist TSR2 (9 degree) which is also awesome with a little more forgiveness. As another poster above has said, the shaft is really important. You are still young and you don't have to have a monster swing speed to get 280 out of your driver.

You ABSOLUTELY want to get fitted if you can afford a new one. The tweaks a GOOD fitter can make with the shaft (actually more important than the head) are totally worth it. New technology is nutty!
I haven't had my shaft tweaked in a good while. The positions that can cause that are a young man's game.

Reactions: LarryMullenJr.
I haven't had my shaft tweaked in a good while. The positions that can cause that are a young man's game.
giphy.gif

I went to a different club fitter here in Phoenix. I have been to many at the large stores but his was the best at Club Champion. They took my Pings and put different shafts in them, and I gained about 10 to 15 yards. They tried my driver which is a Calloway and put me in the new Smoke and I gained about the same 10-15 I'm a senior with a 14 handicap, I should say a super senior and I don't play from Senior tees.

I don’t follow recruiting as much as I used to, so I’m unfamiliar with this prospect, very unique name though. What position does he play and how big is he? Most importantly, how many stars does he have?

I test drove the Ping 425 and Cobra LTD Max... I found the Ping was less forgiving by about 10-15 yards , but averaged about 10 more yards of carry. I hit the Cobra more accurately and bought that. I figured , if i can dial in my swing, the extra yardage will come. Both felt really nice to hit.

I Love my Epic max, prices have dropped big time on them now as well. Maybe 4yrs old by now? Epic/Mavrik/rougue/paradigm I think that's the order by age?

I Love my Epic max, prices have dropped big time on them now as well. Maybe 4yrs old by now? Epic/Mavrik/rougue/paradigm I think that's the order by age?
I've got an epic, kids got a paradym. My trackman numbers are the same with both in the right configuration (shafts are different). Buy wedges new for grooves, but who cares if a driver is year current or not. On a good day day I rip my old Titleist 975f three wood that came out when I was in high school 270.

Reactions: Randall Stanhope
I've got an epic, kids got a paradym. My trackman numbers are the same with both in the right configuration (shafts are different). Buy wedges new for grooves, but who cares if a driver is year current or not. On a good day day I rip my old Titleist 975f three wood that came out when I was in high school 270.
Have an old 975J in the closet.
Groove cleaner/tools can put on edge back on wedges.

Reactions: Randall Stanhope
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT