ADVERTISEMENT

Golf, with a Wrestling slant..........

sloehawk

HR Legend
Feb 4, 2004
I apologize in advance for this somewhat off-topic "story" (long too), but there is a bit of a wrestling slant as well. And I flat out just couldn't resist handing out some kudo's to a couple of guys.

I'm sure some of you are aware, that Hawkeye Fan and Cedar Rapids native and former Drake golfer Zach Johnson just became the "Champion Golfer of the Year" after winning the British Open this Monday (does our man about town in Cedar Rapids GG have Zach on speed dial though!). It's his 12th PGA Tour win and 2nd Major Championship after winning the Masters in 2007. Hell of a run I'd say for a guy who wasn't even the #1 golfer on his High School or College team.

Anyway, some of you may know a family friend that I've mentioned several times on here from my hometown. Former Nebraska wrestler Terry Cook. Terry has helped Iowa Wrestling with some golf fund raisers in the Des Moines area I believe, and is a pretty fair amateur golfer in Iowa and has been for years, and still stays on top of the wrestling scene and has been on Takedown Radio numerous times. He even got a mention in Gables new Wrestling for Life book!

My memory is a bit murky, so paraphrasing some here.................Anyway, back in the late 90's, we were having a conversation about golf, and he had recently played with some "kid" that really impressed him, a former Drake player by the name of Zach Johnson. This was just prior to Zach turning pro I believe (which was mostly small tour stuff for several years back then). Terry specifically told me all the way back then "keep an eye on this kid named Zach Johnson, he's got an OUTSTANDING short game, the kind that can make you some money playing golf for a living!". So I said OK, and made a point to watch for any tournaments he might be entered in.

Shortly thereafter, I believe Zach got an exemption to what was then the Quad City Open (?) I believe (before John Deere took it over for what is now the John Deere Classic). Zach didn't make the cut that week, so I immediately texted my friend Terry and gave him one of those smart-ass "yeah, Zach's really gonna tear up the PGA Tour!" remarks. I knew it was just one tournament, but had to give Terry some "grief" about his "prediction" in the early stages.

Well, here it is some 17 years or so down the road, and there sits Zach Johnson with two of Golfs most prestigious Major Championships, a dozen PGA Tour wins, on the precipice of being in the conversation to be inducted into the World Golf Hall of Fame. Did I mention the endorsements and prize money in the tens of millions of dollars he's made for playing a game?

So, long story short, I wanted to give out much deserved props to Zach Johnson, and to my old friend Terry Cook, who "called it" all those years ago (and may not even remember doing it). Well done guys.

I've been introduced to Zach once and Wrestling for Life has twice given tickets to the Kids on Course group that his foundation funds. Here's a Zach story that I shared on Facebook Monday.

A friend of mine was a Regis grad who was a volunteer assistant soccer coach when Regis became a middle school. He was a big fan of Zach's and a couple of times he and I watched the final round of tournaments where Zach was still in contention. My friend, who was in his 30s, was diagnosed with cancer and a two-year struggle followed. Somehow, Zach learned of Dave's battle and sent him an autographed flag from the Masters and a letter of encouragement. It meant a lot to Dave and, sadly, was buried with him.

As far as Zach and wrestling, in 2013 after the announcement that wrestling was being dropped from the Olympics and golf added he said, "I love golf, but putting it in the Olympics in place of wrestling is an absolute joke."

Last edited:
I've been introduced to Zach once and Wrestling for Life has twice given tickets to the Kids on Course group that his foundation funds. Here's a Zach story that I shared on Facebook Monday.

As far as Zach and wrestling, in 2013 after the announcement that wrestling was being dropped from the Olympics and golf added he said, "I love golf, but putting it in the Olympics in place of golf is an absolute joke."

Think you mean in place of wrestling...but good story nonetheless

No conversation needed. Zach will be a Hall of Famer. Double digit wins and two majors? Yeah.

Great to see Zach get another one. Although not very flashy, he is a guy that is very easy to root for. Given his size and length disadvantage, any wins on the PGA tour is a great accomplishment. To get two majors is amazing.

in the summer of 2002 I was working at Coe College on a NSF grant. I had relatives who lived in the area and actually lived on a golf course. One weekend they invited me over for lunch and the final round of some semi-professional golf event (or just non PGA tour?) that was happening on the course they lived on. We grilled, ate, and followed the last group around on the back 9. This last group turned out to have the winner of the tournament, a Mr. Zach Johnson. Very cordial to all the people around, and a heck of a nice guy.

Reactions: sloehawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT