Votes: 13 21.3%
  • Yes, but I wasn't selected

Votes: 31 50.8%
  • Yes, I was selected and decide a verdict

Votes: 17 27.9%
  • Judge Judy is a smokeshow

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
If you want to be on a jury move to Baltimore City, if you don't have a record I 99% guarantee you will be called within a year of moving here. Their jury pool is small for the caseload in the city.

Did it twice. First one was a barroom brawl. One juror selected said she could never convict anyone of anything. Not sure why prosecutor didn't pass on her.

Side question- For those of you that have been selected for jury duty status, did you recently change your political party affiliation? I switched to R from D to vote for a friend of mine in the primary. I switched back and the next month was notified about jury duty. My neighbor is an old guy who said that anytime someone switches parties they get elevated on the list for jury duty. Anyone else experience this?

Been on call in duty at least dozen times, called in four times, made the interview three times and served on two. When they ask if you could find the defendant "not guilty" you should not answer "no". Then when they ask you why you should definitely not answer "because he looks guilty". The judge got pissed ans skolded me, I thought it was funny, clearly they have no snens of humor under those robes.

Side question- For those of you that have been selected for jury duty status, did you recently change your political party affiliation? I switched to R from D to vote for a friend of mine in the primary. I switched back and the next month was notified about jury duty. My neighbor is an old guy who said that anytime someone switches parties they get elevated on the list for jury duty. Anyone else experience this?
When I served on a jury the judge spent some time with us the first day and explained that it's 100% random based off of anything that proves you live in that county. They use drivers license, property tax information, state tax return information, etc.. you name it. He said voter registration was one of the least things used because so few people resister to vote. FWIW.

I've been summoned multiple times but have never been selected.

Called twice, served once, pool wasn't selected the 2nd time.

Our trial was a DUI. Defendant was spotted driving down Hwy 1/6 near Wallyworld driving erratically, cop whipped a U and pulled the car over at which point his SigOt was driving. Cop did a Nystagmus test which he failed, so they took him to jail and did a blood test which came up 0.00. Funny part was he had a ride along who I knew. I told the judge I knew the ride along at which point he recessed for the day, kept me and basically yelled at me for not letting the court know I knew the witness. WTF? I didn't see the witness list nor was Informed he was on it. Came back the next day, finished up the trial and went to deliberations. First vote was 6/6, 2nd was 10/2, and 3rd vote was 11/1 not guilty. I was the hold out and since it was near lunch time held out until after they served us lunch and so I wouldn't have to go back to work. Found him not guilty, went to the clerk's office to sign out and she let us know that would have been his 3rd DUI.

Justice at it's finest.

When I served on a jury the judge spent some time with us the first day and explained that it's 100% random based off of anything that proves you live in that county. They use drivers license, property tax information, state tax return information, etc.. you name it. He said voter registration was one of the least things used because so few people resister to vote. FWIW.
After the motor voter law was passed, most people with a DL are automatically registered to vote, unless they opt out, or aren't otherwise eligible.

Reactions: beanerhawk
The Trump jury thread got me thinking. Who has been called to be on Jury Duty?

I've been of legal voting age for 20+ years and have never received as much as a phone call to request my presence. A couple of guys who I work with out East have been called and had to go to the courthouse.
Sat in one trial. Guy suing the Tucson PD. Plaintiff was an innocent bystander who was hit by a fleeing car after a traffic stop. We were confused throughout the trial because it was clear to us that we weren’t being told the whole story. Eventually we found for the plaintiff.

Turns out, after the innocent bystander was hit the fleeing car was disabled one cop walked up and put 5 bullets in the driver. A second cop only saw fit to shoot the driver once.

Do attorneys normally get called to serve? I assume most would get bounced quickly. Don't you all know each other for the most part?

Most of the time, Attorneys for the litigants are scared to have an attorney on the jury b/c they might have heavier influence on the other jurors. I'm shocked 2 attorneys got put on Trump panel.

There is also, what you point out, the fact that the attorney might know one of the attorneys litigating. In Iowa, that is more likely than in a large metro city

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT