ADVERTISEMENT

Hawkeye Women's Hoop season

aHR0cHM6Ly9zdG9yYWdlLmdvb2dsZWFwaXMuY29tL2hhd2tleWVzcG9ydHMtY29tLzIwMjAvMTEvNjU2NTY2OTctMjAyMDExMTlfaW93YV93b21lbnNfYmFza2V0YmFsbF9wcmFjdGljZV8wMTIuanBn.jpg

According to the scoreboard in that picture, it looks like Clark had 24 with 6:28 to go in the 3rd.

The more I think about that lineup, the more I like it. Starting Sevillian and Marshall at the 2 and 3 might make for a slightly better scoring lineup, but they're also fairly similar players. Subbing in Martin for one of them adds height, better rebounding, and a more natural fit for the bottom corner of a 2-3 zone.

Sevillian is a natural sub for Marshall. Taiwo is a natural sub for Martin. One of Wetering or Cook will probably backup Warnock. Goodman will backup Monika. I'm guessing one of Sevillian or Marshall moves to the 1 if Clark is out, but I'm also guessing she'll play big minutes from game 1, so a backup 1 isn't as big of a deal unless she gets into foul trouble (and assuming she doesn't get hurt).

That's a 9 player rotation, which feels about right. Maybe throw in one of Jensen or Meyer for a 10 player rotation. Anything more than 10 is fairly hard to manage where at least two players (Clark and Warnock) will likely average 30+ minutes.

The more I think about that lineup, the more I like it. Starting Sevillian and Marshall at the 2 and 3 might make for a slightly better scoring lineup, but they're also fairly similar players. Subbing in Martin for one of them adds height, better rebounding, and a more natural fit for the bottom corner of a 2-3 zone.

Sevillian is a natural sub for Marshall. Taiwo is a natural sub for Martin. One of Wetering or Cook will probably backup Warnock. Goodman will backup Monika. I'm guessing one of Sevillian or Marshall moves to the 1 if Clark is out, but I'm also guessing she'll play big minutes from game 1, so a backup 1 isn't as big of a deal unless she gets into foul trouble (and assuming she doesn't get hurt).

That's a 9 player rotation, which feels about right. Maybe throw in one of Jensen or Meyer for a 10 player rotation. Anything more than 10 is fairly hard to manage where at least two players (Clark and Warnock) will likely average 30+ minutes.
I think you might be pretty spot on.

Clark/Jensen or Meyer (both backups with limited PT)
Marshall/Sevillian
Martin/Taiwo
Warnock/Cook or Wetering based on who emerges
Czinano/Goodman

I could see Jensen or Meyer getting more minutes if they are in need of outside shooting. Also optimistic Wetering may look pretty good.

Reactions: cyberhawk
I assume this will be a common question this year. Does anyone know how to stream a BTN+ game on your Smart TV? I usually watch them on my PC but a big-screen TV would be nicer.
Chromecast works.
I'm just worried that all of the home + games will be with no announcers and the video will be the video feed from the scoreboard. They have done that with some of the nonconference games in the past. It frequently is still showing replays while the ball is in play. (Will there even be replays on it if no fans?)

Chromecast works.
I'm just worried that all of the home + games will be with no announcers and the video will be the video feed from the scoreboard. They have done that with some of the nonconference games in the past. It frequently is still showing replays while the ball is in play. (Will there even be replays on it if no fans?)
I'd guess the non-conference home games (other than ISU) will be either Student U or the no-announcer version with horrible camera angles & replays.

Reactions: Hawkfan_08
Chromecast works.

Yeah it makes watching games really, really difficult when we don't get to see half the next possession because of replays. I'd much rather never see a replay than see them constantly. That could be a benefit of no fans.

Reactions: oldhawk56
Taking so long / so much effort to put a schedule together. I hope someone's been thinking about getting us a chance to watch!

Reactions: jockos
How good is northern iowa supposed to be this year
They were picked to finish 3rd in their conference this preseason. I believe they return their top 5 scorers from last season and they beat Iowa by 22 last year at UNI. They also brought in a good recruiting class. So it should be a good early season test for Iowa.

It should be a really good matchup. Iowa replaces 3 starters again this season so it likely comes down to how much this Iowa team has meshed in this weird extended offseason. Iowa vastly improved as a team after that early season loss to UNI.

Listened to Lisa's press conference. Noted starters in pencil Clark at the 1, Gabbie at the 2, Kate at the 3, McKenna at the 4 and Monica at the 5. Says they have quality depth at all positions and expects to have a rotation up to 10 players. Inexperienced but talented. Thinks as the season develops we will be pretty good

If I didn't screwup single games are Michigan, Purdue and Penn ST at home and Michigan St Illinois and Maryland on the road.

Listened to Lisa's press conference. Noted starters in pencil Clark at the 1, Gabbie at the 2, Kate at the 3, McKenna at the 4 and Monica at the 5. Says they have quality depth at all positions and expects to have a rotation up to 10 players. Inexperienced but talented. Thinks as the season develops we will be pretty good

Here's Bluder's presser from today for anyone who is interested.

Reactions: jockos
Goodman looked very nice, active on boards, very athletic going to the basket. Jensen looked ready to shoot. Marshall was in the same groove as last season's game at Rutgers.

At one time Clark came in for Warnock, and then I realized they were actually about the same height. Talking about height, Wetering looked to be taller than Warnock, though the team bio says Wetering is 6'0 and Warnock is 6'1.

That was as impressive of a freshman debut as I have seen. And the best part is Clark wasn't flawless. There are ways she can and will improve with more experience.

I think this will be a better offensive team than last year's squad. Clark is a better offensive 1 than Doyle. Warnock is a lot better offensively than Ollinger. Monika will probably be as good or better than she was last year. Gabbie looked more confidant than she was last year. We'll miss Makenzie Meyer's shooting, I think, but Martin impacts the game in other areas.

I'm not sure this year's team will be as good as last year's overall, but I also think we're being underrated nationally based on what I saw tonight. And the best part is the core of this team should be together for the next three seasons with good recruiting classes in the pipeline.

This years team will be good but I think next year Iowa is poised to make a very deep run. Based on the distribution of minutes, Iowa doesn't lose much and will return the nucleus of this team. Clark is poised to break Iowa guard records in several categories and there is no doubt she will be one of the best in Iowa history before she leaves barring any setbacks.

I can a;ready see Goodman making her mark among the line of outstanding bigs at Iowa. She is so fluid in the post. I'd love to see Goodman and Czinano on the floor at the same time for a few minutes to see what they can do together.

Jensen will light it up if left unguarded. Good to see Martin finally playing sans knee brace. Her movement was very fluid and she affected the game although her stats don't really stand out.

Iowa still needs to improve rebounding, though Warnock was impressive. Team defense is an issue, particularly late sloseouts on shooters and stopping dribble penetration. Considering it's the first game I'm sure the team will improve.

Northern Iowa is very good. I believe they could win the MVC this season.
Caitlin Clark is as good as anticipated. In my opinion, she should be the favorite for B1G Freshman of the Year.
Also, Sharon Goodman looks awesome. Iowa will not have any problems when Monika is on the bench.

I saw Clark play a handful of times during her Jr & Sr years in HS. Every time I saw her, she made several plays that made my jaw drop. She would have been the secong best player on the Iowa squad if they would have let her play as a high school junior. She's that good. In 20 years of watching HS bball in the midwest, the only playerthat comes close to Clark is Jaime Printy before she hurt her knee in high school. Clark is probably a better passer though.

I thought even before last nights game that Clark will become Iowa's All-time leader scorer. She will probably be 1st team All BIg Ten this year. Enjoy the ride Hawkeye fans

Northern Iowa is very good. I believe they could win the MVC this season.
Caitlin Clark is as good as anticipated. In my opinion, she should be the favorite for B1G Freshman of the Year.
Also, Sharon Goodman looks awesome. Iowa will not have any problems when Monika is on the bench.
Yeah, that was a UNI team with 4 returning senior starters plus Kam Finley, and Iowa made them look like they hadn't even prepped for the game. To be fair, this was a normal Iowa-UNI result, whether in IC or CF.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT