ADVERTISEMENT

Here's the official idiocy of the officials as they explain their game deciding call.

Complete and utter gopher sh1t by the B1G, NCAA and Collegiate Officiating Coalition to protect one of their worst officials, one who has made numerous “controversial” calls in his career and at one time even was suspended.

They’re peddling such a nuanced interpretation of the rules the teams and coaches apparently were not aware of it.

The B1G and Bill Carollo need to stop defending the indefensible, admit they — and the call — were wrong and apologize. Referee Tim O’Dey and that officiating crew need to be suspended, if not fired.

CDJ got robbed of recognition for a great return and touchdown and Iowa got screwed out of a trophy win.
You’re just so damn wrong it’s hilarious. Cry me a river.

Reactions: YellowBellyHawkeye
You’re just so damn wrong it’s hilarious. Cry me a river.
Except they admitted an invalid fair catch is not listed under reviewable plays. Then they twisted the rule book to say, “fair catches are reviewable so we agree today that it must include invalid fair catches even though they are two completely different things and the rule book lists all plays that are reviewable and doesn’t include them.”

Except they admitted an invalid fair catch is not listed under reviewable plays. Then they twisted the rule book to say, “fair catches are reviewable so we agree today that it must include invalid fair catches even though they are two completely different things and the rule book lists all plays that are reviewable and doesn’t include them.”

They’re trying to create a loophole. It’s not listed as a reviewable play but it’s also NOT listed as a play that can’t be reviewed either.

It really is kind of funny to hear the mental gymnastics the B1G is doing to justify this call. By immediately saying it was right they can't go back and say oops we messed up. I don't think they expected non Iowa pundits calling them out. They probably thought oh it's just IA/MN
No one will notice. They got that wrong.

Now with a Nebraska head ref and a Minnesota replay official they have a bad look.
The BIG officials are the proverbial CYA club. The commissioner, head of officiating Carolo and Shaw from NCAA all weighing in. Why do they all feel the need to try and explain themselves? Because they cheated Iowa and Cooper out of a TD. Does anyone believe that a call would have been made if OSU, Michigan or Penn State had returned a punt, No, Hell No!

I have zero confidence in the integrity of the game. That F'ing Ref was the guy that called Campbell's TD back last year against the Goophers, Coincidence? I don't think so.

Yes, that arbitrary call will be hard to get over. It could cost the university big time bowl dollars, a chance at the Big Championship and the list goes on. To top it off, that smug little pr!@k in Minnesota sits there and gloats.

Last edited:
Reactions: hawkcub
The BIG officials are the proverbial CYA club. The commissioner, head of officiating Carolo and Shaw from NCAA all weighing in. Why do they all feel the need to try and explsin themselves? Because they cheated Iowa and Cooper out of a TD. Does anyone believe that a call would have been made if OSU, Michigan or Penn State had returned a punt, No, Hell No!

I have zero confidence in the integrity of the game. That F'ing Ref was the guy that called Campbell's TD back last year against the Goophers, Coincidence? I don't think so.

Yes, that arbitrary call will be hard to get over. It could cost the university big time bowl dollars, a chance at the Big Championship and the list goes on. To top it off, that smug little pr!@k in Minnesota sits there and gloats.

If anything, imo their defense of the call at the presser yesterday made it worse imo.

“If you look a ground video of it, you might say this doesn’t look like much of a wave,” Carollo said. “But if you look at the high (camera view) over the top, he’s actually waving. “

If one angle doesn’t show anything, but another does, wouldn’t that be the very reason a cal/non-call should stand? And if the Birds Eye view is what counts the most, why aren’t all penalties called from the booth?

If anything, imo their defense of the call at the presser yesterday made it worse imo.

“If you look a ground video of it, you might say this doesn’t look like much of a wave,” Carollo said. “But if you look at the high (camera view) over the top, he’s actually waving. “

If one angle doesn’t show anything, but another does, wouldn’t that be the very reason a cal/non-call should stand? And if the Birds Eye view is what counts the most, why aren’t all penalties called from the booth?
Yes that high camera view comment is total crap. No one on the field thought that was a fair catch signal. Watch Fleck drop his head when Super Coop scores. Even he thought he was beat sgain.

Something seems awfully fishy. I was trying to put this behind me but those comments yesterday made matters worse.

It's tantamount to admitting what visually happens from the booth's point of view is more important than what visually happens from the players' and refs' point of view. Yet, we know the rule is only for the sake of what is seen on the field, not from a bird's view. What ego centrical arrogance.

And, to top it off, they say it is because of player safety. LOL - Good lord, if that's the case then it ONLY matters was the refs think at the time on the field. How does it help the player's safety to retroactively make the call. The play is over! You can't help anyone's safety now.

The BIG officials are the proverbial CYA club. The commissioner, head of officiating Carolo and Shaw from NCAA all weighing in. Why do they all feel the need to try and explain themselves? Because they cheated Iowa and Cooper out of a TD. Does anyone believe that a call would have been made if OSU, Michigan or Penn State had returned a punt, No, Hell No!

It could be CYA just for the bad call rather than for an intent to fix the outcome. The former seems more likely, especially in the absence of any solid evidence to support the latter. Issuing an apology would have been much better, even though they can’t change the results now.

The rule is open to subjective interpretation. Literally ANY hand movement could be construed as a wave.

The official chose to apply his unique interpretation at that time, in that situation. For whatever reason.
Apparently you have to have your hands on your sides to not have this call.

Reactions: pmtdc
I thought I heard Ferentz say a couple of games ago that Labas was cleared to play. That means he must be sitting on the bench due to Kirk's tunnel vision when it comes to his QBs (no other position is dealt with in this manner). Labas won't see the field unless Hill has a bone sticking out of his body somewhere.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT