ADVERTISEMENT

Here's the official idiocy of the officials as they explain their game deciding call.

I got this from Hawk Central.

“If you look a ground video of it, you might say this doesn’t look like much of a wave,” Carollo said. “But if you look at the high (camera view) over the top, he’s actually waving.
What on God's earth does it matter what it looks like from a high camera view!! It only matters what it looks like from the ground view.

That statement right there shows how egregious that call is. It will go down in infamy.
I have heard the name Carollo but was he part of this whole review process?

And as you said, what the hell does the view from the press box or high up cameras have to do with anything when the coverage team is on the field. The fair catch signal is meant for the players, DUH

You'll never know. Kirk will keep the status quo for as long as he possibly can. While that mentality has probably been good for Iowa football overall, the downside is again showing its ugly face
Labas looked decent in our bowel game, considering it was his first start or maybe first playing time. Think he has a pretty good 40 time, and was mobile enough to avoid what would have been sacks for Petras or Hill. Don’t know why Ferentz always finds a shit QB then sticks with him like his life depends on it???

I feel bad for CDJ. He made a remarkable play. But as bad as that call was it is not what bothers me the most about this game. It is the offense and trotting out the worst qb in the United States time after time…
The offense was beyond bad in that game except for the first drive which probably had a bunch of scripted plays that the offense practiced a bunch during the week. And then even at that the play calling on the first drive at the 5 yard line was terrible, no counter action plays to offset the defense's eagerness to make a play, nothing.

The rule is open to subjective interpretation. Literally ANY hand movement could be construed as a wave.

The official chose to apply his unique interpretation at that time, in that situation. For whatever reason.
Because the BIG or the networks did not want us winning the West. They decided they had an opening to screw us and took it.

I have listened to, watched and attended Hawkeye football games since 1962. I am done watching this year's team if Deacon Hill is still the QB in Wrigley Field. It is just too painful to sit there and know that the offense can't get the job done. I was encouraged after the Wisconsin game, but losing to the filthy rodents the way we did has extinguished my hope for this season to end well.
C'mon HG#77, stay with us. I love to watch great defense and this defense and our special teams. I just hope the offense can run the ball like they did against WMich, MSU, and Wisky along with connecting on some passes like the first drive against Minny.

I dont give up on the hawk players although some offensive coaches, especially Brian, need to go. And I think Kirk really needs to retire as he has fielded 3 years of very poor OLine play which is his specialty.

That makes sense on things like fumbles and out of bounds....but not in this case.

Let it play out? Let WHAT play out? And why? To see the result of the play before deciding whether or not to make the call?

Stupid, stupid, stupid. If the official thought there was an invalid fair catch, then there is ZERO reason to "let it play out".
They didn’t think anything was wrong. Why was it reviewed, did Minnesota coach call for one? Can’t believe he would know this obscure rule, he would more likely be challenging if he stin bounds?

No one will ever know if Labas is worse if he doesn’t get to play. He can’t throw any worse and he adds the option of the run, something Hill can’t do…
Maybe Brian doesn't want Labas to play. If he does well then everybody will be asking why he wasn't playing sooner.

That makes sense on things like fumbles and out of bounds....but not in this case.

Let it play out? Let WHAT play out? And why? To see the result of the play before deciding whether or not to make the call?

Stupid, stupid, stupid. If the official thought there was an invalid fair catch, then there is ZERO reason to "let it play out".
Apparently an official wasn't sure if he stepped out of bounds so that's why they let it play out. Then, during the review, they started looking at the signals and whether there was an invalid fair catch signal.

If this is the actual rule, why is it never enforced? Why did they enforce it in the Iowa Minnesota game? Who had money to lose?

I feel bad for CDJ. He made a remarkable play. But as bad as that call was it is not what bothers me the most about this game. It is the offense and trotting out the worst qb in the United States time after time…
It's as if they want to try and prove everyone wrong! Even at the expense of the kids who deserve a shot vs the mediocrity to bad play that continues to be ineffective and not showing progress!
Labas showed at least something in the bowl game...he at least deserves a chance! How can any reasonable person say the current QB is good enough to not warrant a second look with someone else?

It's pretty sad that someone had to go back to 2015 to find an example of when this was ever called (see below, where the same thing happened and a punt return for a TD was taken off the board).

And let's face it. EVERYONE was confused by the ruling. Hell, Chris Williams, an Iowa State guy, had to make some calls to figure out what the truth was (it is the rule, but they NEVER call it).

This was called in a game way back in 2015. You have to wait to the ending to see the waving of arms.

Click on the PLAY button

But in the Wisconsin vs. Northwestern call the refs on the field made the call. Review wasn't used.

Has there ever been a more confusing, controversial ending to an Iowa sporting event?
Maybe not as confusing but quie a few as controversial as in the Jim Bain-Purdue phantom foul, the Purdue player undercutting an in the air Andre Woolridge giving him no where to come down and calling it an Iowa turnover, the last second FG at MSU that Fry and the hawks and many fans said was good but was not, oh my there are many.

But those were bad calls while this one was confusing because the rule is very confusing as written, because it was replay and many people have stated why it was not even a reviewable call, etc etc.

Oh yes, the 4th and goal at Purdue in the late '60s where the refs gave a very suspect mark for a TD by the PU runner to win the game in the last seconds

I think he's saying the same ref stopped the play last year when he thought Campbell stepped out of bounds and cost us a touchdown. The normal procedure is let the play continue and let review process determine whether the play should be overturned.

I can see them calling that waving. My issue is that this happens in almost every game, and its almost NEVER called. So WHY exactly was it called Saturday after that play, and not the countless other times it happens.

Yep, it seems very arbitrary, and called out of nowhere based on replay. I'm getting tired of all the damn replays. Every year there seems more. NCAA needs to start working towards reducing the number of replays per game. It's starting to get silly.

It really is kind of funny to hear the mental gymnastics the B1G is doing to justify this call. By immediately saying it was right they can't go back and say oops we messed up. I don't think they expected non Iowa pundits calling them out. They probably thought oh it's just IA/MN
No one will notice. They got that wrong.

Now with a Nebraska head ref and a Minnesota replay official they have a bad look.

Think he has a pretty good 40 time, and was mobile enough to avoid what would have been sacks for Petras or Hill.
You really have to question why Kirk is so opposed to a mobile qb. It's a positive in so many ways, why has he dictated that we don't want that kind of qb?

Reactions: nelly02
Apparently an official wasn't sure if he stepped out of bounds so that's why they let it play out. Then, during the review, they started looking at the signals and whether there was an invalid fair catch signal.

If this is the actual rule, why is it never enforced? Why did they enforce it in the Iowa Minnesota game? Who had money to lose?
I realize that. My comment was in reference to O'Dey's explanation after citing the invalid fair catch rule, about letting it play out. That was a stupid thing for him to say, as there is no reason to let an invalid fair catch "play out". Sorry if I wasn't more clear.

Did that weasel soaker pay you your $100 yet?

I talked to a MAC official today and he said it was the right call also. (Not an anti-Hawk fan). He did say the officials should have stopped it when Cooper touched it. He also said EVERY play is looked at in the booth. A very confusing rule. In his interpretation Cooper pointing wasn't the problem. His waving with the left hand made it an illegal fair catch signal.
It's a horsesh** loophole technicality for a rule, that they need to change.

Here is the first paragraph from O'Dey's explanation:

“Let’s start with definitions that surround the play. With regard to it, there are valid and invalid signals that can be given during any kick play. An invalid signal is any waving motion by a receiving team member that happens throughout the kickdown. That’s the first piece of information you have to apply here."

He's quoting the NCAA rule book there. Read it carefully to see how stupidly written it is.

Under this rule, an absolutely perfect catch and return in which the actual receiver doesn't wave anything (probably difficult to do), can be called back if another player on the receiving team anywhere on the field makes a waving motion while the ball is in flight. That interpretation sounds like a dream for corrupt officials.
Wow. I had posted something in another thread based on the return man, but if this is really how the rule reads, then on every future punt, Kirk needs to have 11 guys on the sideline each spying one of the return team members during the kick. “Coach, I saw 52 swing his right arm a few times.” Then challenge that sh!t. “Iowa is challenging that number 52 on the receiving team made an invalid fair catch signal.” Every damned kick that’s returned, regardless of the net result. Mock this crooked conference and their crooked Nebber zebras.

And given how the rule is written, it should not be possible to overturn via review as nearly any running motion could be considered a wave if you wanted to.
By ANYONE on the return team.

Are you a CFB coach and your special teams have just given up yet another punt return for a TD? Not to worry—SOMEBODY on the return team almost certainly made an invalid fair catch signal during play. The review booth and the NCAA rule book are your friends. Call that sh!t back!!!

Reactions: sober_teacher
It really is kind of funny to hear the mental gymnastics the B1G is doing to justify this call. By immediately saying it was right they can't go back and say oops we messed up. I don't think they expected non Iowa pundits calling them out. They probably thought oh it's just IA/MN
No one will notice. They got that wrong.

Now with a Nebraska head ref and a Minnesota replay official they have a bad look.
The on-site replay official, who apparently made the final call, is a Wisconsin guy. Seems like all three of them have something in common.

1. If O'Dey's crew ruled it was an invalid fair catch, and we are to believe his explanation that they are trained to let it play out, then prior to review they should have announced "the call on the field is an invalid fair catch. The play is under review." The fact they did not announce the call on the field is an invalid fair catch tells me that it was not the call on the field.

2. There must be audio recordings of what was discussed between the Referee (O'Dey), the review official in the booth, and the review official in Pittsburgh. Those audio recordings must be released to the public.

I realize that. My comment was in reference to O'Dey's explanation after citing the invalid fair catch rule, about letting it play out. That was a stupid thing for him to say, as there is no reason to let an invalid fair catch "play out". Sorry if I wasn't more clear.

Did that weasel soaker pay you your $100 yet?
We can only speculate on what the driving force behind this call was, but, I feel fairly confident in that if Cooper had fielded it and gotten tackled after a 5 yard gain, or 10 yards, or even 20, it wouldn't have been called. That is what "playing it out means." But shit got real when he scored a touchdown and whatever motivation they have was more important than all of the backlash that they have received and will continue to receive. I don't see how any of this is positive in any way for them, thus, there has to be more to the story.

Bottom line is if O'Dey really did see it like he said he did, he had no reason to let it play out. Just blow the whistle, which he had no problem doing last year with Jack's pick even though that was just as egregious because once you blow the whistle it is not reviewable. But if he didn't see it live, which he didn't otherwise he would have said so when he told KF what the review was for, then it really opens up pandora's box about what is reviewable and what is not.

So it all adds up to the fact that he was so surprised, like the rest of us that Cooper took it back, that he didn't even think to blow the whistle because he didn't see anything wrong. Thus he had to invent something. All of that is criminal. Could it be a personal vendetta because he is a Nebraska guy and he got a Wisconsin and Minnesota guy to go along with it? Or was it because Iowa suddenly just covered the spread?

Reactions: Bierhalter
Unfortunately, they have the power to look at other things. And, more unfortunately, they looked and saw what they probably wanted to see.
So, when they review touchdowns they can look to see if there was holding on the offense? Then call the touchdown back?

We can only speculate on what the driving force behind this call was, but, I feel fairly confident in that if Cooper had fielded it and gotten tackled after a 5 yard gain, or 10 yards, or even 20, it wouldn't have been called. That is what "playing it out means." But shit got real when he scored a touchdown and whatever motivation they have was more important than all of the backlash that they have received and will continue to receive. I don't see how any of this is positive in any way for them, thus, there has to be more to the story.

Bottom line is if O'Dey really did see it like he said he did, he had no reason to let it play out. Just blow the whistle, which he had no problem doing last year with Jack's pick even though that was just as egregious because once you blow the whistle it is not reviewable. But if he didn't see it live, which he didn't otherwise he would have said so when he told KF what the review was for, then it really opens up pandora's box about what is reviewable and what is not.

So it all adds up to the fact that he was so surprised, like the rest of us that Cooper took it back, that he didn't even think to blow the whistle because he didn't see anything wrong. Thus he had to invent something. All of that is criminal. Could it be a personal vendetta because he is a Nebraska guy and he got a Wisconsin and Minnesota guy to go along with it? Or was it because Iowa suddenly just covered the spread?
Your conspiracy theories are so ridiculous I don’t even know what to say.

With respect to "the worst QB in the country", I don't believe it is possible to know if that is true. If Hill had just a average Iowa offensive line I think it would be possible to make that determination. In short, the Iowa offensive line sucks.
The guy can't throw any more accurately than I can. He can certainly throw it a lot farther but he has no idea where it is going when he throws it.

Reactions: GHawk
1. If O'Dey's crew ruled it was an invalid fair catch, and we are to believe his explanation that they are trained to let it play out, then prior to review they should have announced "the call on the field is an invalid fair catch. The play is under review." The fact they did not announce the call on the field is an invalid fair catch tells me that it was not the call on the field.

2. There must be audio recordings of what was discussed between the Referee (O'Dey), the review official in the booth, and the review official in Pittsburgh. Those audio recordings must be released to the public.

The refs need to learn the difference between a wave 👋 and pointing you finger to the ground in a circular motion. I have never waved like that, have you?
Nobody does.

Here is the first paragraph from O'Dey's explanation:

“Let’s start with definitions that surround the play. With regard to it, there are valid and invalid signals that can be given during any kick play. An invalid signal is any waving motion by a receiving team member that happens throughout the kickdown. That’s the first piece of information you have to apply here."

He's quoting the NCAA rule book there. Read it carefully to see how stupidly written it is.

Under this rule, an absolutely perfect catch and return in which the actual receiver doesn't wave anything (probably difficult to do), can be called back if another player on the receiving team anywhere on the field makes a waving motion while the ball is in flight. That interpretation sounds like a dream for corrupt officials.
Quite simply, he wasn’t “waving” his arm. All waving involves arm movement but not all arm movement is waving. I thought that was a basic understanding among semi-educated people. Well . . . err, neverimind.

From Mirriam- Webster:

WAVE
1 of 3

verb

ˈwāv

waved; waving
Synonyms of wave
intransitive verb
: to motion with the hands or with something held in them in signal or salute

: to float, play, or shake in an air current : move loosely to and fro : FLUTTER
flags wavingin the breeze

of water : to move in waves : HEAVE

: to become moved or brandished to and fro
signs wavedin the crowd

: to move before the wind with a wavelikemotion
field of wavinggrain

: to follow a curving line or take a wavy form : UNDULATE

There was no signal or saluting.

Last edited:
Quite simply, he wasn’t “waving” his arm. All human waving involves arm movement but not all arm movement is waving. I thought that was a basic understanding among semi-educated people. Well . . . err, neverimind.

From Mirriam- Webster:

WAVE
1 of 3

verb

ˈwāv

waved; waving
Synonyms of wave
intransitive verb
: to motion with the hands or with something held in them in signal or salute

: to float, play, or shake in an air current : move loosely to and fro : FLUTTER
flags wavingin the breeze

of water : to move in waves : HEAVE

: to become moved or brandished to and fro
signs wavedin the crowd

: to move before the wind with a wavelikemotion
field of wavinggrain

: to follow a curving line or take a wavy form : UNDULATE

There was no signal or saluting.
Right, and the motions of his arm (with attached hand) were the same throughout the entire play all the way to the endzone.

“If you look a ground video of it, you might say this doesn’t look like much of a wave,” Carollo said. “But if you look at the high (camera view) over the top, he’s actually waving.
What on God's earth does it matter what it looks like from a high camera view!! It only matters what it looks like from the ground view.

That statement right there shows how egregious that call is. It will go down in infamy.
Damn, if only the Minnesota punt coverage team hadn't been using helicopters to advance towards the returner at the time then maybe the refs allow Coop's arm movements to be seen as legal and allow the TD to stand.

What a totally ****ing asinine answer as to explaining/defending the in-game ruling.

And just for the sake of argument, lets say that's somehow a valid way to use the review system to make or change calls ... what's the point of having on-field refs if you are going to validate calls/change calls by saying "you only see it on video coverage above the field, not at ground level"?!

I mean W.T.Ever Living.F, people.

Reactions: WWDMHawkeye

Complete and utter gopher sh1t by the B1G, NCAA and Collegiate Officiating Consortium to protect one of their worst officials, one who has made numerous “controversial” calls in his career and at one time even was suspended.

They’re peddling such a nuanced interpretation of the rules the teams and coaches apparently were not aware of it.

The B1G and Bill Carollo need to stop defending the indefensible, admit they — and the call — were wrong and apologize. Referee Tim O’Dey and that officiating crew need to be suspended, if not fired.

CDJ got robbed of recognition for a great return and touchdown and Iowa got screwed out of a trophy win.

Last edited:
Reactions: hawkedoff

The only egregious thing is our offense. If we were competent on Offense that game would have been won by 20pts.

I have heard the name Carollo but was he part of this whole review process?

And as you said, what the hell does the view from the press box or high up cameras have to do with anything when the coverage team is on the field. The fair catch signal is meant for the players, DUH
Bill Carollo is coordinator of the Collegiate Officiating Consortium - Football, which includes the B1G, MAC and Missouri Valley. As such he functions as coordinator of officials for the B1G.

Sad they trotted him out to try to defend this atrocious error. Indefensible.

Last edited:
Reactions: hawkedoff
“Receiving team advancing after a fair catch signal” is reviewable. Both men on the call clarified that an invalid fair catch signal also is reviewable, even though that is not explicitly stated.

😂

Meaning, invalid catch signals are not reviewable but we are just making shit up now to cover our asses.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT