ADVERTISEMENT

*****Holy Cross vs Iowa (W) Game Thread*****

Would you say the same thing about a male player? When guys do it, they are intense, they hate to lose, they play on the edge. When females show that kind of emotion, people have a totally different reaction.
Or an ISU player?

Would you say the same thing about a male player? When guys do it, they are intense, they hate to lose, they play on the edge. When females show that kind of emotion, people have a totally different reaction.

People have been annoyed with some of the men's team when they start to lose their cool on the court. I think Sandfort has been called out a few times for talking at the refs. JBo and Cmac certainly annoyed some fans with a couple of emotions in the past.

It’s strange really… you can’t really say CC is playing bad because she’s got five or six rebounds seven or eight assists, but her body language is awful…

It is in these games though. I hope you guys that have stressed all year about not having as much “talent” I’m gonna tell you something this team would be lost without Kate Martin, Sydney Affolter and yes, Gabby Marshall.

Seriously…. “on the rag”???? That remark was totally unnecessary. You are embarrassing! And, yes, I am a woman
Consider the source, he's a troll

F
Yes, I would and do often. I don't care for it from them either. But lean into that predictable cliche'. Male players get the same kind of criticism (starting with the biggest player in the game, LeBron). Note that much of the criticism CC gets (be it right or wrong) comes from other female players, too.

Being intense, competitive is one thing and CC certainly has that. It's part of what makes her a great player. Complaining when she doesn't get the calls, showing up the ref, the occasional overreaction to contact and some of the other stuff is what people are talking about. Her Dad seemed to think so.

That said, today seemed a bit out-of-character. No doubt fatigue played a part. Can't imagine a more demanding season...on and off the court. She's handled it very well.

Last edited:
You are right, no one of us have ANY idea what CC is truly like. She has created a public persona, and she has benefitted greatly $$$. Good for her for helping others. If so, I admire that. My point is that her on the court behavior is not something we need to condone. It seems like a lot of people are OK with her behavior, simply because of her talent.
Try to understand that NO one in the game has her constant pressure, Few have the ball in their hands on literally every play, and must lift the entire team with her skill, even if they don't see the game at the speed she see's it. The pressure is ridiculous. She's commented about how hard it is when you MUST be on every game. Critics make stupid comments about how she isn't truly great if she doesn't win a natty. It drives her. She wants it so badly, because she knows if she doesn't wear that Wonder woman cape the next 5 games they aren't sniffing that game.

Last edited:
Weird game.
I think the expectations from everyone effected this entry into the tournament. And those expectations also effect the way we watch them play.

Team has to expect lots of tight, aggressive defense, and they best start thinking about their passing. Can't be lazy with the ball. Hope they can settle down Monday.

O'Grady did really well without Stuelke playing, and McCabe looked like she's been handling the ball more in practice. Overlooked, I think, was the stellar play of Kate Martin (14 rbs and 15 pts).

Imagine Clark will settle down, but I imagine it's a tough spot to be in when everyone expects a show--and a bigger show than last year.
Why didn't Hanna play more than 10 minutes?? Needed more physical play??

Reactions: Moral
As I was hoping, they shook off some rust after a 2 week layoff, and won handily. Still a few things to clean up, however.
Good catch: I was thinking the same. They looked all of that two weeks off for sure for a bit. I think they are fully engaged at this point however

Last edited:
Good catch: I was thinking try same. They looked all of that two weeks off for sure for a bit. I think rh wet are fully engaged at this point however
Good point. But both teams had 2 weeks off. So... Anyway, they'll need a better game to win Monday. Go Hawks!

Reactions: the24fan
She had 3 fouls midway through the 3rd quarter. A technical would have been the fourth. When she called time out, and likely fouled several times, she bounced the ball off her head to the sidelines. That could have been a technical along with several other times. Lisa needs to sit her down before Monday. I’m sure she is really feeling the pressure now.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
Well I love CC to death but she needs to get the head screwed on tight if they are going to have a run. I’m with her dad on this one. Hopefully this was just a blip due to being off so long. Not sure but the bitching and complaining anytime it does not work out her way offensively is a bit tiring. I think they had a good game plan against CC but the balance of the team came through.

F

Yes, I would and do often. I don't care for it from them either. But lean into that predictable cliche'. Male players get the same kind of criticism (starting with the biggest player in the game, LeBron). Note that much of the criticism CC gets (be it right or wrong) comes from other female players, too.

Being intense, competitive is one thing and CC certainly has that. It's part of what makes her a great player. Complaining when she doesn't get the calls, showing up the ref, the occasional overreaction to contact and some of the other stuff is what people are talking about. Her Dad seemed to think so.

That said, today seemed a bit out-of-character. No doubt fatigue played a part. Can't imagine a more demanding season...on and off the court. She's handled it very well.
Your last paragraph said it best, AND yet few here want to cut her any slack at all. I think we're seeing what these two years of scrutiny, and the pressure of dragging this team toward another championship is doing to her. Better teams then this one have failed. They said during the broadcast that in the 40-50 years of womens NCAA basketball only ONE team has lost the title and then returned to the game the next season.

Good point. But both teams had 2 weeks off. So... Anyway, they'll need a better game to win Monday. Go Hawks!
What. HC played Thursday. How did they have two weeks off? On top of which could there possibly be a team with less pressure on them to win then a 40 point dog 16 seed playing at Carver?

Last edited:
Reactions: BonzoFury
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT