ADVERTISEMENT

How far beyond has Iowa fallen?

HawkCharlotte

HR MVP
Jul 17, 2005
Iowa guys wrestle with great effort, but it's obvious Iowa doesn't have the talent to compete for titles right now.

The years of being behind PSU has created such a chasm that I don't see how Iowa is going to close the gap anytime soon. I am not sure Iowa can challenge PSU in the next 10 years. The recruiting is so lopsided.

If PSU pulls away, like it seems they're going to for the unforeseeable future, does wrestling become boring with such a lack of parity and competition?

Last edited:
PSU is lights ahead of everyone. It’s not just Iowa. PSU if you look at what’s young this year and what’s coming in will have this ball rolling as long as Cael and Casey are a team. I mean honestly look at their international club. If you wanna be a champ not just at collegiate level but world you can’t tell me a 17yr wouldn’t want to go there. Unfortunately it is what it is. I don’t think a coaching change will change that. That’s money

$$$… and hire real assistants beyond the stagnant crew we have. Great guys but Mstar and Telford are multiple levels below. And Terry needs to go to hwc and bring in more new opinions. The answer is so obvious.
Telford has done a great job this year with Glazier, Hill, and the short time he's had Kueter. I think his job should be safe. Morningstar should be gone. Then find a legitimate freestyle coach to replace Dennis.

Iowa guys wrestle with great effort, but it's obvious Iowa doesn't have the talent to compete for titles right now.

The years of being behind PSU has created such a chasm that I don't see how Iowa is going to close the gap anytime soon. I am not sure Iowa can challenge PSU in the next 10 years. The recruiting is so lopsided.

If PSU pulls away, like it seems they're going to for the unforeseeable future, does wrestling become boring with such a lack of parody and competition?
I think our last champ outside of Spencer was back in 2017... Would T&T still have a job if he wouldn't have picked the Hawks?

Brands doesn’t have the leadership skills to compete with PSU. He has created a staff full of yes men, and is not willing to adapt to the changing environment. It seems like most of the big names in the sport; recent World and Olympic champs want nothing to do with the program and Tom and Terry. It’s easy to act like it’s Iowa against the world and still win when you are feeding off the Gable legacy. It’s a lot harder when those years get further and further in the review mirror. Iowa got lucky that they had an in with Young Guns. Those kind of breaks aren’t going to come around often.

So is Dresser and crew outcoaching and out recruiting TNT?????
Lol, this is the worst lineup we've had in many years, ISU has their best lineup in many years, and we went into their house and beat them. We went into Okie State's house and beat them worse. Those are the two teams fighting it out for that conference's title. Big 12 wrestling is JV.

Telford has done a great job this year with Glazier, Hill, and the short time he's had Kueter. I think his job should be safe. Morningstar should be gone. Then find a legitimate freestyle coach to replace Dennis.
Great… but the goal is to get the elite and there is no reason that guy now a top recruit goes to Iowa city unless they are playing football. Glazier is a great story but when brooks techs him tomorrow.

• Haha
Reactions: Gobblin
One of the things I keep hearing from people:

"Why do Penn State's guys always look so much bigger than ours/everyone else's?"

I'm sure you guys know. So then the question becomes, if you know................then why the f*** aren't you fixing the problem?

You're welcome.

GG RIP Iowa wrestling/wrestling fans

Reactions: BGon4ND and WSC72
Lol, this is the worst lineup we've had in many years, ISU has their best lineup in many years, and we went into their house and beat them. We went into Okie State's house and beat them worse. Those are the two teams fighting it out for that conference's title. Big 12 wrestling is JV.
What’s your point? Can we join the big 12?

It's going to take a Gable like coup hire. We need to steal one or more of the stars out if the NLWC to catch up to what their doing and some major $$. Nolf is still my top pick, they guy is so good technically and a great personality. If he can medal this Olympic cycle, I'd say it's reasonable to try.

"Why do Penn State's guys always look so much bigger than ours/everyone else's?"

I'm sure you guys know. So then the question becomes, if you know................then why the f*** aren't you fixing the problem?

You're welcome.

who says PSU guys are all bigger than everyone else?

other than you of course...

You're welcome.

They don't even look that big (that's what she said)

Does the same old complaining ever get old?

One reason for the same old, is because the same old crap keeps happening.

So many of us grew up with the excitement and anticipation for Iowa wrestling. The love for the Hawks will always remain but the excitement and anticipation are fading.

It's sad resigning oneself to not being champions for quite some time to come.

who says PSU guys are all bigger than everyone else?

other than you of course...
Maybe not bigger but definitely stronger…. And I’m not crying foul or cheating. If you haven’t noticed how it seems every PSU kid almost immediately upon joining the program have absolute stone hips and just crazy positional strength you’re not paying attention. Did you see Mikey’s beautiful deep shot today only to have Messinbrink just crush him? How about Levi Haines just manhandling Franeks wrists with one hand? RBY had insane hips! Nickal, Varner, Zain, Bartlett, Van Ness, on and on and on. It’s truly remarkable.

Another spoiler alert though…. They manhandle everyone, not just Iowa.

Bottom line is there ain’t a staff on earth that could best Cael and Co. but once every cycle now then on a down year. Sucks to come to terms with but I have eyeballs and am not delusional. That staff is in Iowa City. I have nothing against bringing in some new young blood. I’d welcome it. I mentioned to a member of our staff just the other day how much I’d love to get the Hidlays to IC. I’ve been an advocate for Nolf since he graduated. And we’ve tried. If it comes to money, which it almost always does now, we don’t stand a chance. They can and will beat any offer if they choose. My hat is off to them and I respect the hustle, as does Tom Brands. He knows what he’s up against and if you think he doesn’t want it a gazillion times more than any of us do and is just “accepting” 2nd place you’re out of your mind.

And I was thinking about what Drake asked me why I defend and like TnT so much…. It’s because they’re incredible human beings first and foremost. Second is because they are phenomenal wrestling coaches that are incredibly loyal to the athletes on my favorite wrestling team. If some of had even a clue of a fraction of the lengths they’ll go for their athletes and the attention to detail they pay it would blow your mind.

I would unfortunately say yes trending thst way

I dont know if any of you have watched Tom's latest interviews, but they are bizarre.

He sits there in his T-shirt and hat and smacks his lips together without saying a word.

Then he's asked a question, and we get the "It's time to get going ... it's time for urgency ... we love our guys ... "

I don't know ... it seems the program is flat-lining. Need some new blood?

This is the obvious question and always comes up in these threads, so I guess I’ll do it this time:

Who? List who you’d hire.

Is it the other coaches who haven’t reached the summit?

Reactions: cheaptilt42
Well maybe that's the problem right there.

Our own "wrestling fans" can't f***ing tell that most all of Penn State's guys are stronger than our guys.

That explains a lot actually.......
a lot of their guys are strong, but not all...Nagao for one, Davis although he's a freshman, even truax doesn't have the HP to consistently finish on top guys, Kasak too

but you didn't say stronger...you said bigger...which they aren't

their guys seem to excel with functional strength...and there's a lot more that goes into that than just being bigger

Maybe not bigger but definitely stronger…. And I’m not crying foul or cheating. If you haven’t noticed how it seems every PSU kid almost immediately upon joining the program have absolute stone hips and just crazy positional strength you’re not paying attention. Did you see Mikey’s beautiful deep shot today only to have Messinbrink just crush him? How about Levi Haines just manhandling Franeks wrists with one hand? RBY had insane hips! Nickal, Varner, Zain, Bartlett, Van Ness, on and on and on. It’s truly remarkable.

Another spoiler alert though…. They manhandle everyone, not just Iowa.

Bottom line is there ain’t a staff on earth that could best Cael and Co. but once every cycle now then on a down year. Sucks to come to terms with but I have eyeballs and am not delusional. That staff is in Iowa City. I have nothing against bringing in some new young blood. I’d welcome it. I mentioned to a member of our staff just the other day how much I’d love to get the Hidlays to IC. I’ve been an advocate for Nolf since he graduated. And we’ve tried. If it comes to money, which it almost always does now, we don’t stand a chance. They can and will beat any offer if they choose. My hat is off to them and I respect the hustle, as does Tom Brands. He knows what he’s up against and if you think he doesn’t want it a gazillion times more than any of us do and is just “accepting” 2nd place you’re out of your mind.

And I was thinking about what Drake asked me why I defend and like TnT so much…. It’s because they’re incredible human beings first and foremost. Second is because they are phenomenal wrestling coaches that are incredibly loyal to the athletes on my favorite wrestling team. If some of had even a clue of a fraction of the lengths they’ll go for their athletes and the attention to detail they pay it would blow your mind.
I don't really disagree

except to say theyve had plenty guys that aren't especially strong...they have a few right now

it's just easy to lose sight of that because they've had so many great - and very strong- wrestlers recently

a lot of their guys are strong, but not all...Nagao for one, Davis although he's a freshman, even truax doesn't have the HP to consistently finish on top guys, Kasak too

but you didn't say stronger...you said bigger...which they aren't

their guys seem to excel with functional strength...and there's a lot more that goes into that than just being bigger
Yes, the 2 transfers are excellent power points to use as your evidence. 😂😂😂

I don't really disagree

except to say theyve had plenty guys that aren't especially strong...they have a few right now

it's just easy to lose sight of that because they've had so many great - and very strong- wrestlers recently
Nagao and Truax perhaps??

Yes, the 2 transfers are excellent power points to use as your evidence. 😂😂😂
you may not be saying or implying they are cheating, but evilmonkey usually is...in his own tongue in cheek way

so ..yeah, new guys to their program often struggle with strength...I wasnt trying make some profound point other than some of their guys struggle with strength...they arent all extraordinarily strong

you may not be saying or implying they are cheating, but evilmonkey usually is...in his own tongue in cheek way

so ..yeah, new guys to their program often struggle with strength...I wasnt trying make some profound point other than some of their guys struggle with strength...they arent all extraordinarily strong
Like who? Gulibon? James English? Facundo?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT