ADVERTISEMENT

HWC Showdown Match Announcements

I’m disappointed in the match up for Spencer. It could have been much better is all I’m saying.

But that wasn't all you said. You led with this:

What a damn let down....They had every opportunity to take this card from good to amazing 🔥🔥🔥 How'd I know Brands would screw this up somehow.

Omit that last sentence, and not many people are going to get upset about that.... Disparage the head coach of the team, and you bet your ass it's going to ruffle some Hawkeye feathers!!!

Reactions: CRIA7415
Explain how this could be better, in your words, with all the knowledge that you have of who was available and willing to wrestle this match that was "passed over" for?
Do you know how to read?? I’m not saying I had any knowledge of who they were looking at and neither do you. This could have been there #1 choice for all that you know with your big ol brain.

Lee was one of the last to sign up. Bet Brands scoped the competition.
I disagree that Brands would have kept him out if other wrestlers entered. Lee had to qualify for WTT and the options to do that after Senior Nationals is limited.
Do you know how to read?? I’m not saying I had any knowledge of who they were looking at and neither do you. This could have been there #1 choice for all that you know with your big ol brain.
I agree that I would love to see Spencer face someone with more accolades but you are jumping to assumptions and making accusations without any knowledge. Then you wonder why people are not responding to you kindly. I hope you are able to enjoy the card when it happens and I appreciate your fervor for Iowa wrestling.

Reactions: IAChief32
What a damn let down....They had every opportunity to take this card from good to amazing 🔥🔥🔥 How'd I know Brands would screw this up somehow.
It’s nice to know everyone on this forum Is a cupcake, just like this matchup. You can all dish out disses lickety split, but can’t take a little bit of truth from a true fan, who only wants best for the Hawkeye wrestlers.
i love that the Anonymous internet tough guy is calling people “cupcakes”. Oh the irony.

Reactions: Chuck C
Anyone know how this works? Im going to buy the live ppv event. Will I be able to rewatch again or is that another access fee?

Ahhhh. I was hoping someone would bring this up. Yes, he wrestled senior nationals with literally none of the top 57kg guys there. You’re right though that’s what we want for Lee!
Your out of your mind. That bracket had several former NCAA Champions in it. Are you kidding you. What an idiotic post. Also, was it his fault that neither Fix or Gilman showed up--no. Get a clue!

As I’ve stated, neither do you clown. What would they gain?! Are you joking?! They would have an opportunity to take out the best! I am grateful to watch Spence, but I guarantee he ain’t doin backflips or cartwheels with this announcement. Everyone’s laughing at this announcement. it ain’t just me, bud.
Also, this is total BS that your dishing on a guy that was a 4 All-American and has already qualified for the Olympic Trials. What a joke. The guy can wrestle and he will be fired up for this match-up, since Lee has been smashing his boys at MN. Glad to think you think so much of Lee, I do as well, but Sanders is a veteran that has been in one Olympic Trials and has already qualified for this one. Give it a rest.

Reactions: MilleGinja
I disagree that Brands would have kept him out if other wrestlers entered. Lee had to qualify for WTT and the options to do that after Senior Nationals is limited.

I agree that I would love to see Spencer face someone with more accolades but you are jumping to assumptions and making accusations without any knowledge. Then you wonder why people are not responding to you kindly. I hope you are able to enjoy the card when it happens and I appreciate your fervor for Iowa wrestling.
Lee had to wrestle in the US Open to qualify for the Trials, No one held anyone out. He would have wrested anybody that showed up. Let me understand something, this is a guy that won the Hodge, won the last two NCAA Tournaments and the last US Senior Nationals and you're saying he's ducking guys... Your full of it and a lot of it as well.

Lee had to wrestle in the US Open to qualify for the Trials, No one held anyone out. He would have wrested anybody that showed up. Let me understand something, this is a guy that won the Hodge, won the last two NCAA Tournaments and the last US Senior Nationals and you're saying he's ducking guys... Your full of it and a lot of it as well.
Exactly and you wanna say Sanders has a chance against Lee?! You’re the joke, just like this match. Sanders won’t last 2 minutes with Lee. Yeah, there were NCAA champs in the bracket, but he wrestled two one time Champs. 🙄 Big whoop. And no Tom is the one ducking guys he runs that program not Lee. And no Lee didn’t “Have to” *wrestle senior nationals* to qualify, because at that time there were still NCAA’s. It’s good to know you think so little of Lee to think this will even be remotely competitive.

I think Micic would have made the most sense. Not competing with Lee for a spot on the US team and likely not even at the same NCAA weight.

I wonder if weight may have been an issue though.

Reactions: VansontheMoon44
giphy.gif

Sanders is pretty good! No not a national champ but a 4 time AA and past Fargo Champ. Sanders biggest problem is they don't have a lower weight class.

Reactions: Descat1
The original match that was setup for Lee was Takahasi (2017 World Champ and 2018 Bronze Medalist), but he wasn't able to come because of the current situation with covid, so Sanders became the last minute option. It is what it is; you still get to see Lee wrestle and the rest of the card is still awesome. For those of you who are upset with it, adopt the mindset of our wrestlers and keep on moving. Lee wasn't going to make or break the card with the rest of the matches that were lined up already so him wrestling at all is icing on the cake IMO.
Lastly, if you think the coaches were trying to "protect Lee", well, to put it simply, you're an idiot.

Marinelli/Green and DeSanto/Merideth gotta be considered the co-main event matches to close out the event, right?

Guy/Gals,

I get a bit defensive because I know what goes on behind the scenes... and the bottom line is do you trust Brands.

I am not at liberty to say what options were considered but you either believe that the coaches have the athletes best interest in mind or you don't.

Like I said earlier I heard same stuff when Brands was accused of Lee ducking Rivera and look how that turned out... There are often reasons people are not aware of .

So far I think Brands & the Lee family have handled his career almost perfectly.

This card is really,really good...our guys are underdogs in most matches.Just because Spencer isn't wrestling a world medalist, don't let that sway your faith and trust in the staff that has us back on top.

Zach Sanders is a joke for Lee. It’s a waste of time for him.

Preseason action like this in today’s world is only a good thing. As noted, he wasn’t the first choice but he was the best one willing to come.

I think Micic would have made the most sense. Not competing with Lee for a spot on the US team and likely not even at the same NCAA weight.

I wonder if weight may have been an issue though.

I didn’t realize it was so subtle that none of the opponents have remaining collegiate eligibility.

Exactly and you wanna say Sanders has a chance against Lee?! You’re the joke, just like this match. Sanders won’t last 2 minutes with Lee. Yeah, there were NCAA champs in the bracket, but he wrestled two one time Champs. 🙄 Big whoop. And no Tom is the one ducking guys he runs that program not Lee. And no Lee didn’t “Have to” *wrestle senior nationals* to qualify, because at that time there were still NCAA’s. It’s good to know you think so little of Lee to think this will even be remotely competitive.

Yes, he could have waited for the NCAA Tournament and that's why you're not a head coach and you should just trust the Brands Brothers. Who by the way had the #1 team in the nation last and the preseason #1 team this year. They might know a little something about how to operate a wrestling program. Take a deep breath and repeat after me, I trust the Brands Brothers, I trust the Brands Brothers....

As far as the qualification process. You wait for the NCAA Tournament and you risk injury, getting sick and missing out. Oh wait, there's still the last chance qualifier... two weeks later--same story. Yes, unless he was injured, he needed to go to the US Senior Nationals. Your comments are, once again, idiotic and it's obvious you know nothing about the sport of wrestling. One last post about Sanders. Yes, Lee is the heavy favorite. I'm just saying that Sanders is one of the few guys that have already qualified for the US Olympic Trials--again. The guy can wrestle and is not a chump. Get a clue, wake up, inhale and start repeating....

Reactions: Grip220
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT