ADVERTISEMENT

I’ll give it the 1st quarter of the 1st game

I have to say with this hire, I’m lacking much interest in this season. I renewed my tickets, but at this point that is just because I like my seats and want to keep them for the post Kirk era.

I’ll go to the first game, if I like what I see from the offense I’ll be optimistic…if it’s 3-0 after one quarter like it always is….Im probably checking out similar to what I have done for Iowa basketball.

Apathy is right around the corner

Wait for an announcement that they've hired some high school coach to replace Copeland!

KF has openly stated he doesnt lnow QB position, so its accurate.
He says that half-jokingly.

Kirk does know offensive line, which is the basis of any offense. And he's had over 20 years of serviceable offenses. To judge him based on the last couple of years is short-sighted.

The program's offense has been built around it's O-line. And due to a variety of factors the O-line has been broken the past couple of years. This will be overcome and the offense will be back on the right track.

Even if I am wrong, and the offense remains crap (which any reasonable person realizes is highly unlikely), as I've said it's a good thing that the defense and special teams are of Kirk's making too. Overall, he is producing a product that is quite successful at a highly consistent rate. Most programs in the country would kill to be in the position Iowa is in

He says that half-jokingly.

Kirk does know offensive line, which is the basis of any offense. And he's had over 20 years of serviceable offenses. To judge him based on the last couple of years is short-sighted.

The program's offense has been built around it's O-line. And due to a variety of factors the O-line has been broken the past couple of years. This will be overcome and the offense will be back on the right track.

Even if I am wrong, and the offense remains crap (which any reasonable person realizes is highly unlikely), as I've said it's a good thing that the defense and special teams are of Kirk's making too. Overall, he is producing a product that is quite successful at a highly consistent rate. Most programs in the country would kill to be in the position Iowa is in
If he knows OL, then what has happened thenpast 3yrs with the OL? Multi factors play in, which include inability to coqch up the recruits he recruited.

He is consistent at having a good record vs the bottom half of the BIG. 0-92 vs teams with a pulse proves that. It won't be easier with the new teams coming in.

The offense cant get any worse, the next 2-3yrs will be...interesting.

Reactions: hawkandroll
If he knows OL, then what has happened thenpast 3yrs with the OL? Multi factors play in, which include inability to coqch up the recruits he recruited.

He is consistent at having a good record vs the bottom half of the BIG. 0-92 vs teams with a pulse proves that. It won't be easier with the new teams coming in.

The offense cant get any worse, the next 2-3yrs will be...interesting.
Correct, the offense can't get any worse. And even in its present condition, Iowa has a damn good football program.

People can say 92-0, but really all that means is 0-3. For several reasons, how much a team loses a game by is of little importance. And again, to judge a coach's competence by how the team performed against the best 3 teams they played in a down year (at least for the offense) is silly. There's over 20 years of data that paints a much more accurate picture.

The reason the O-line has been broken is because most of these guys shouldn't have been playing. Linderbaum, Enders, Britt, Davidkov, Proctor are all guys that should have been playing over the past couple seasons. And I'm probably forgetting a couple guys. These were all highly rated guys with size and strength. For various reasons these guys haven't been playing and the O-line has taken on significant attrition.

You can say that a good program is able to reload to replace guys like Linderbaum that go pro early. And that's true. But Iowa will never be a program that has much margin for error. Linderbaum alone, may have been replaceable. But when it's on top of other losses to the line, the aggregate is significant.

The attrition to the line left Iowa with a bunch of underdeveloped guys. Everyone has guys who's development was hurt by losing workouts during the Covid lockdown. But for Iowa this dynamic was compounded by losing its strength coach at the same time. When you take into account that Iowa's O-line recruiting strategy had been to get smaller guys with good feet and build them up through their top of the line strength coach, you can see the Doyle loss was huge. He truly was a difference maker.

Then when you take into account that Iowa's offense was built around it's O-line, it's pretty easy to understand how Iowa's offense fell on hard times. All of this certainly makes more sense than saying Kirk all of the sudden doesn't understand O-line. It's his background and he's put plenty of lineman into the NFL.

Given the hand KF was left with, there hasn't been a whole lot he could do to accelerate the development of his lineman. You can coach them up, which I'm sure has happened. But they can't just all of the sudden become bigger and stronger. He went to the portal last year for two lineman (and yes, could have a year sooner). One played well and one got injured. He's again gone to the portal this off-season. He also switched to much more pin-and-pull schemed inside running, which has helped. But again, he's largely been left with guys that can't get bigger and stronger overnight

Reactions: Rocket_Fran
Correct, the offense can't get any worse. And even in its present condition, Iowa has a damn good football program.

People can say 92-0, but really all that means is 0-3. For several reasons, how much a team loses a game by is of little importance. And again, to judge a coach's competence by how the team performed against the best 3 teams they played in a down year (at least for the offense) is silly. There's over 20 years of data that paints a much more accurate picture.

The reason the O-line has been broken is because most of these guys shouldn't have been playing. Linderbaum, Enders, Britt, Davidkov, Proctor are all guys that should have been playing over the past couple seasons. And I'm probably forgetting a couple guys. These were all highly rated guys with size and strength. For various reasons these guys haven't been playing and the O-line has taken on significant attrition.

You can say that a good program is able to reload to replace guys like Linderbaum that go pro early. And that's true. But Iowa will never be a program that has much margin for error. Linderbaum alone, may have been replaceable. But when it's on top of other losses to the line, the aggregate is significant.

The attrition to the line left Iowa with a bunch of underdeveloped guys. Everyone has guys who's development was hurt by losing workouts during the Covid lockdown. But for Iowa this dynamic was compounded by losing its strength coach at the same time. When you take into account that Iowa's O-line recruiting strategy had been to get smaller guys with good feet and build them up through their top of the line strength coach, you can see the Doyle loss was huge. He truly was a difference maker.

Then when you take into account that Iowa's offense was built around it's O-line, it's pretty easy to understand how Iowa's offense fell on hard times. All of this certainly makes more sense than saying Kirk all of the sudden doesn't understand O-line. It's his background and he's put plenty of lineman into the NFL.

Given the hand KF was left with, there hasn't been a whole lot he could do to accelerate the development of his lineman. You can coach them up, which I'm sure has happened. But they can't just all of the sudden become bigger and stronger. He went to the portal last year for two lineman (and yes, could have a year sooner). One played well and one got injured. He's again gone to the portal this off-season. He also switched to much more pin-and-pull schemed inside running, which has helped. But again, he's largely been left with guys that can't get bigger and stronger overnight
Davidkof was the biggest loss of those who actually came on campus and would have MAULED people this year. How easily people forget the highest rated recruit in a class. Not ironically, mostly the same people who forgot kept telling us (over and over and over) it was Budmayr who was going to be OC.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT