ADVERTISEMENT

I had a GREAT time in Iowa City Friday night and Saturday! My thoughts ...

j0nnyhb_Prime

HR Heisman
Nov 1, 2015
Hadn't been back to Kinnick since 2019.

Friday night dinner at Wig & Pen with friends, then hit the Airliner then Gabe's for some really cool live music which was totally unexpected (Kamm, really cool trio).

Tailgating in the AM at a couple different spots before and the game with good friends. Most of the game was tough, but their was some great moments when Iowa made the mini comeback and could have made it 20-14. Michigan chumps behind us were getting a little panicked ;-). After the game went back to eat fantastic grilled food and talked about the game. Wasn't upset at all about the game really, it would have been something that burned me up for a few hours after in the old days, but as you get older, life's too short.

The Game:
1) I was surprised how easily M ran the ball against our defense. I guess the DL missing Black and his size showed up here (not that Black would have made a huge difference, but I think to compete vs the best of the best OLs we need big upper class-man who are fully developed - Shannon needed help in other words. Lee, Van Ness and the rest aren't quite big enough of old enough yet (or both) to hold up vs really good OLs IMO.

2) This was classic KF team overmatched but somehow still had a chance in the 4th quarter which is amazing when you look at it from a high level. The first half couldn't have gone much worse but Iowa still within striking distance. Not much to cheer about during that stretch.

3) The BAR is so high for Taylor's punting, that it felt like a really OFF day for him (which it was by his standards). He is still an amazing punter obviously, but he didn't pin M down inside the 10 when he had the chances. It was one key factor that was needed for the upset, but never materialized.

4) Like Taylor, the back 7 usually is playing so well and creating TOs, we expect it ... just didn't happen yesterday. I give credit to JJ Macarthy for not forcing things and the M OL for keeping him clean all day.

5) Spencer has to make some of those easier throws in the 1st half. He did make some good ones later on, but frankly he just hasn't got it done when Iowa needs it most. Love the kid and will never boo or berate him. He works his butt off and is a great leader/teammate. I hope it clicks for him at some point, but it just hasn't yet and more than enough chances have been given.

6) I'll enjoy the good and not get overly upset when the Hawks fall short. We could win every game or lose every game remaining (save OSU). Go Hawks!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News