ADVERTISEMENT

I hate it when we make Eggum look smart

Redm18

HR MVP
Feb 16, 2020
Stepping slightly aside from all of the Ferrari talk this morning it's hard for me not to contrast our mess and the simple smart if somewhat cowardly solution that Minnesota took at 184 lbs. Boring yes but all of the wrestling world isn't talking about it. I guess if our guys especially when they clearly are not quite competing for a sport wrestle each other in the prelims it's OK but it seems like having them under the bright lights and fire only brings trouble.

Stepping slightly aside from all of the Ferrari talk this morning it's hard for me not to contrast our mess and the simple smart if somewhat cowardly solution that Minnesota took at 184 lbs. Boring yes but all of the wrestling world isn't talking about it. I guess if our guys especially when they clearly are not quite competing for a sport wrestle each other in the prelims it's OK but it seems like having them under the bright lights and fire only brings trouble.

It’s cowardly and ridiculous. If two guys can’t keep it under control to wrestle a match against each other it says you have a bigger problem. We had other guys wrestle matches against each other without issue. What was different about the ones where they didn’t?

Also, Minnesota isn’t the program to pattern yourself after.

It’s cowardly and ridiculous. If two guys can’t keep it under control to wrestle a match against each other it says you have a bigger problem. We had other guys wrestle matches against each other without issue. What was different about the ones where they didn’t?

Also, Minnesota isn’t the program to pattern yourself after.

Exactly. I'm seeing a bunch of comments saying that the issue is that Iowa teammates are wrestling each other in public. That's absurd. The issue is their behavior and lack of emotional control and respect for their opponents.

Exactly. I'm seeing a bunch of comments saying that the issue is that Iowa teammates are wrestling each other in public. That's absurd. The issue is their behavior and lack of emotional control and respect for their opponents.
I don't disagree with you but it seems to cause issues even with guys that I consider really quality guys. And is easy to avoid.

Teammates should be able to wrestle each other and control their emotions. There’s no excuse for actions from multiple guys yesterday. Act like you’ve been there, win with class, lose with class.
In his presser after the tournament, Brands seemed to encourage it. He said Rathjen’s response showed (paraphrasing) some fire and that it proved he wanted the spot at 149. The atmosphere in the locker room has to be hell, but that seems to be part of the plan somehow. I don’t get it.

Reactions: Creek Side
In his presser after the tournament, Brands seemed to encourage it. He said Rathjen’s response showed (paraphrasing) some fire and that it proved he wanted the spot at 149. The atmosphere in the locker room has to be hell, but that seems to be part of the plan somehow. I don’t get it.
I did hear that, kinda surprised. I do like the fire from rathjen but also harness that and win matches not against other hawks and I’d be more impressed.

Reactions: Libertylover
Nothing to see at 49, 65 was a good match, and 97 still happens because AJ is not and up to this point, has never been a Hawk.

The 184 pound match between McEnelly and Salazar did not happen because McEnelly tweaked his knee against Gunderson in the semifinal. If you watch the end of the match you can see it happen. Eggums had teammates wrestle each other at every tournament all year and would’ve been fine with this one as well.

The 184 pound match between McEnelly and Salazar did not happen because McEnelly tweaked his knee against Gunderson in the semifinal. If you watch the end of the match you can see it happen. Eggums had teammates wrestle each other at every tournament all year and would’ve been fine with this one as well.
Yes but that takes away from opie's ignorant attempt to take a shot at Brands for having teammates wrestle.

No, it's because Eggum is a God damn genious! Don't take this away from the OP! 🤣

I think the problem arises when the home fans cheer for one guy over the other. Causes hard feelings and resentment.

One guy has been on the team busting his ass for 5 years.

The other guy is AJ Ferrari, who’s been hated by Iowa fans for years, and isn’t even committed to Iowa let alone on the team.

Who to cheer for? Gosh, I just don’t know.

One guy has been on the team busting his ass for 5 years.

The other guy is AJ Ferrari, who’s been hated by Iowa fans for years, and isn’t even committed to Iowa let alone on the team.

Who to cheer for? Gosh, I just don’t know.
No joke. One is a respected Hawkeye and the other is a well known jackass that's not a Hawkeye. Pretty simple why Glazier got the love from the fans in attendance and on this board

Well, if we want to win, and I do, they’re not all going to be choir boys.
I'm ok with guys who aren't choir boys; for example, I don't really have an issue with Anthony Ferrari or his postmatch actions yesterday. I don't mind the edge.

I am not ok with AJ, and can't believe that anyone would excuse his actions last night on top of all the rest of the baggage he brings

Even worse when the home fans come in with an axe to grind and boo one while cheering for the other.
I felt like the initial applause was very equal for 149 and 197. The majority of fans didn't cheer for either wrestler at both weights during announcements which I was happy about. Similar to 165. There were a smattering of boo's for AJ that sounded more to the corner where opposing fans were sitting. After the antics there were louder boos of course.

At the end of the day Anthony and Zach shouldn't even be brought up in the conversations. Neither guy did anything worth discussing. At 197 the weak punch was stupid and out of line in that setting. AJ's splits/birds are indefensible. AJ has had his ass kissed every where he's been. He's not a part of the program yet, but if he joins the team the days of his ass being kissed will be over. That's exactly what he needs in my opinion. He will adapt or move on.

I posted my experience that he's been nothing but a gentleman off the mat. This is true. He obviously failed the test under the lights. Every opposing fan, coach, and wrestler will be trying to get him to react just like they did with one of our previous wrestlers. Additionally, some officials are going to show bias against him. This is all self inflicted. He will either learn to control his emotions or he won't be around. His statement of regret was a great first step. I think we can all agree that from here forward his actions are all that matter if he becomes a Hawkeye. No more talk. Let your actions do the talking.

I don't blame any Hawk fan that don't like him. He lost of lot of fans that were on the fence. He brought it on himself. For those that can't help themselves from posting dozens of times how much they hate him please don't bother responding to me. I expect a couple of you to take one sentence out of this whole post to try arguing about. Or act like I'm defending him. Just give me the laughing emoji and move on :cool:

I do think it's pathetic how many penn state fans jumped over here. They have more skeletons in their schools closet than Trump, Biden, and Clinton combined. They should forever remain silent, but they have less self awareness than AJ showed Saturday. Also, there are some cyclone fans on here trashing AJ. Would yellow snow, tigerguy, or buf like to comment on Dresser running the cuban strangler through admissions and into the starting line up? The Cuban choked his wife out. You hypocrites should spend more time trying to get him off the ISU roster if you're going to take the moral high ground.

Happy New Year to Hawkeye fans out there. I will share one new years tidbit. I believe west2east is mistaken on a certain weight certification of one of our guys. I will let him ask around to clarify. It's just another possible line up twist in a season with so many unknowns.

I felt like the initial applause was very equal for 149 and 197. The majority of fans didn't cheer for either wrestler at both weights during announcements which I was happy about. Similar to 165. There were a smattering of boo's for AJ that sounded more to the corner where opposing fans were sitting. After the antics there were louder boos of course.

At the end of the day Anthony and Zach shouldn't even be brought up in the conversations. Neither guy did anything worth discussing. At 197 the weak punch was stupid and out of line in that setting. AJ's splits/birds are indefensible. AJ has had his ass kissed every where he's been. He's not a part of the program yet, but if he joins the team the days of his ass being kissed will be over. That's exactly what he needs in my opinion. He will adapt or move on.

I posted my experience that he's been nothing but a gentleman off the mat. This is true. He obviously failed the test under the lights. Every opposing fan, coach, and wrestler will be trying to get him to react just like they did with one of our previous wrestlers. Additionally, some officials are going to show bias against him. This is all self inflicted. He will either learn to control his emotions or he won't be around. His statement of regret was a great first step. I think we can all agree that from here forward his actions are all that matter if he becomes a Hawkeye. No more talk. Let your actions do the talking.

I don't blame any Hawk fan that don't like him. He lost of lot of fans that were on the fence. He brought it on himself. For those that can't help themselves from posting dozens of times how much they hate him please don't bother responding to me. I expect a couple of you to take one sentence out of this whole post to try arguing about. Or act like I'm defending him. Just give me the laughing emoji and move on :cool:

I do think it's pathetic how many penn state fans jumped over here. They have more skeletons in their schools closet than Trump, Biden, and Clinton combined. They should forever remain silent, but they have less self awareness than AJ showed Saturday. Also, there are some cyclone fans on here trashing AJ. Would yellow snow, tigerguy, or buf like to comment on Dresser running the cuban strangler through admissions and into the starting line up? The Cuban choked his wife out. You hypocrites should spend more time trying to get him off the ISU roster if you're going to take the moral high ground.

Happy New Year to Hawkeye fans out there. I will share one new years tidbit. I believe west2east is mistaken on a certain weight certification of one of our guys. I will let him ask around to clarify. It's just another possible line up twist in a season with so many unknowns.
Weight certification? Oh My!

Reactions: WEH8ST8HAWK

Excellent post, as usual. My only difference would be that it was clear to me that many fans at the SS were looking for a reason to boo Anthony and AJ. As soon as they did anything out of the ordinary the haters pounced. It was clear to me that a significant portion of the crowd was against them from the start, as neither Anthony nor AJ got any supportive response at all when they were announced apart from a few of us who were trying to keep an open mind. Granted, there were plenty of haters from other programs in the crowd as well.

In any case, outstanding post. It’s always refreshing to read something on this board from someone who actually knows what’s going on to counter the clueless blowhards and the PSU and ISU knuckle draggers.

Last edited:
Excellent post, as usual. My only difference would be that it was clear to me that many fans at the SS were looking for a reason to boo Anthony and AJ. As soon as they did anything out of the ordinary the haters pounced. It was clear to me that a significant portion of the crowd was against them from the start, as neither Anthony nor AJ got any supportive response at all when they were announced apart from a few of us who were trying to keep an open mind. Granted, there were plenty of haters from other programs in the crowd as well.

In any case, outstanding post. It’s always refreshing to read something on this board from someone who actually knows what’s going on to counter the countless clueless blowhards and the PSU and ISU knuckle draggers.
Happy New Years to you. Always nice to see your thoughts. I didn't pick up on that as much as you, and I was actively listening for it. What side of the arena were you on? I was about center of the arena on the West side floor I believe. I felt like they both got about an equal level of subdued cheering for both wrestlers at each weight during announcements. There was louder cheering during the match however for Caleb. I think some of that can be just having more friends and family close by. The arena is small so it doesn't take a lot of people to be pretty noisy. It was a disappointing end to what I thought was a really good tournament.

I get a chuckle out of posters wanting to scrap the SS after 2 years. I can tell you the wrestlers hated Midlands. The SS is well ran. Josh and Luke did an excellent job. The silver bracket giving guys that went 0-2 extra matches is great. There's lodging, food, and reasonable parking all close to the arena. It's so much better than Midlands in my opinion. They expect it to keep growing, but nothing is fast enough in this age of instant gratification.

I was wrong on that and was shocked when I heard PK certed 157. About a week before certs I was told he looked really lean but I was thinking maybe he was staying lean for 74kg and maybe a ORS from TX. I have no problem admitting when Im wrong and I was wrong here. Now I don't see him going down and beating Franek. I saw a weigh in sheet that had Glazier a 197 so I don't believe he can go down

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: blcoach80
I was wrong on that and was shocked when I heard PK certed 157. About a week before certs I was told he looked really lean but I was thinking maybe he was staying lean for 74kg and maybe a ORS from TX. I have no problem admitting when Im wrong and I was wrong here .
That's not the weight I'm talking about. Please don't take my post wrong. You post a lot of great information and I wasn't calling you out. I just know you're good at getting info, and would be able to confirm or refute a couple of weights that have possibly been reported inaccurately.

I was wrong on that and was shocked when I heard PK certed 157. About a week before certs I was told he looked really lean but I was thinking maybe he was staying lean for 74kg and maybe a ORS from TX. I have no problem admitting when Im wrong and I was wrong here. Now I don't see him going down and beating Franek
So Glazier did certify at 184 and PK at 157? That would be great news honestly if Glazier can make the cut and be effective if AJ does join the team.

That's not the weight I'm talking about. Please don't take my post wrong. You post a lot of great information and I wasn't calling you out. I just know you're good at getting info, and would be able to confirm or refute a couple of weights that have possibly been reported inaccurately.
Didn't take your post wrong at all. Glazier is a 197 as far as I know

Happy New Years to you. Always nice to see your thoughts. I didn't pick up on that as much as you, and I was actively listening for it. What side of the arena were you on? I was about center of the arena on the West side floor I believe. I felt like they both got about an equal level of subdued cheering for both wrestlers at each weight during announcements. There was louder cheering during the match however for Caleb. I think some of that can be just having more friends and family close by. The arena is small so it doesn't take a lot of people to be pretty noisy. It was a disappointing end to what I thought was a really good tournament.

I get a chuckle out of posters wanting to scrap the SS after 2 years. I can tell you the wrestlers hated Midlands. The SS is well ran. Josh and Luke did an excellent job. The silver bracket giving guys that went 0-2 extra matches is great. There's lodging, food, and reasonable parking all close to the arena. It's so much better than Midlands in my opinion. They expect it to keep growing, but nothing is fast enough in this age of instant gratification.
Same to you, acuhawk. We were about 5 rows up on the scorer’s table side.

Agreed regarding the tournament. Some folks want to scrap it after 2 years — crazy. The level of competition, excitement, and attendance were all significantly better than last year. These aspects will continue to improve. It is a very well run tournament. Josh and Luke do a fantastic job. The amenities are great, with plenty of lodging and dining within an easy walk of the arena. The arena is perfect with a great view from every seat. We were literally 10 feet from the action for the first three sessions.

I fully expect it to continue to grow and improve every year. And it’s far better than Midlands for Iowa fans who live in the state. Especially handy for those of us from Iowa City who may not still live there, but have family in the area. We were never able to attend Midlands but will probably attend the Soldier Salute virtually every year.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT