ADVERTISEMENT

I wonder if Kevin Johns wanted his own OLine and WR coaches?

uihawk82

HR All-American
Nov 17, 2021
Maybe that was a deal breaker for Kirk. If it was then I think that is very small of Kirk. An OC needs to bring in some people he really trusts. WR and OLine are our weaknesses, WR job is open, and maybe Johns wanted to change up some OLine blocking schemes taught by a coach he trusts.

Any scuttle butt about this? Have any intrepid reporters or semi-reporters talked with anyone close to the situation.

I only ask because Johns was or seems to be the much more experienced candidate. I am backing Lester and I hope he can improve things.

Lester will be looking hard at our receivers and the routes they were coached to run. He has a whole lot of tape to look at and he should know passing. I think there could be an easy adjustment for the receivers to flatten their routes or comeback slightly to get better separation and more open angle for the QB's pass. We run a ton of out patterns where the receiver breaks out but angles slightly more downfield which creates very little angle of separation and actually helps the defender.

Someone stated their sources indicated it was a salary request issue. I think that is the closes we will get to knowing the reason. Not sure what there is to accomplish by discussing other what ifs.

Reactions: hawk224
Someone stated their sources indicated it was a salary request issue. I think that is the closes we will get to knowing the reason. Not sure what there is to accomplish by discussing other what ifs.
There have been some reports that it was a financial issue which seems interesting because we had to be offering more than Duke and he was unemployed with no known options else where so............now, on your original thought of his own WR / OL coaches. I actually thought about this last night before the financial stuff came out. Maybe not (or maybe) OL but definitely for WR coach. If the rumors are true that Bud will be promoted to that role, maybe that was a problem. And quite honestly, if it was, good for Johns. I hope he said no that he wouldn't accept that.

Maybe that was a deal breaker for Kirk. If it was then I think that is very small of Kirk. An OC needs to bring in some people he really trusts. WR and OLine are our weaknesses, WR job is open, and maybe Johns wanted to change up some OLine blocking schemes taught by a coach he trusts.

Any scuttle butt about this? Have any intrepid reporters or semi-reporters talked with anyone close to the situation.

I only ask because Johns was or seems to be the much more experienced candidate. I am backing Lester and I hope he can improve things.

Lester will be looking hard at our receivers and the routes they were coached to run. He has a whole lot of tape to look at and he should know passing. I think there could be an easy adjustment for the receivers to flatten their routes or comeback slightly to get better separation and more open angle for the QB's pass. We run a ton of out patterns where the receiver breaks out but angles slightly more downfield which creates very little angle of separation and actually helps the defender.
His old boss didn't hire him.

He didn't get the HC job he was hoping for.

Being unemployed and making demands on a job you want is pretty stupid.

Maybe it's just him.

This is why I asked the question. You say some others have said it is a salary issue. Well I hope Iowa wasnt trying to low ball him just to save a couple hundred thousand dollars. Geez

"Could be" lots of things. Salary and freedom to pick staff are two possibilities. Maybe he likes it at Duke. Maybe he didn't like moving to IC for a job that might only last a year or two. Maybe he wanted to install a completely new offense. Maybe KF didn't like him very much or vice-versa.

When this sage started, most were convinced that the Hawks couldn't get a really good, highly qualified candidate. Now everyone seems surprised that maybe they were right.

• Sad
Reactions: ddeanHawk
His old boss didn't hire him.

He didn't get the HC job he was hoping for.

Being unemployed and making demands on a job you want is pretty stupid.

Maybe it's just him.
Maybe he upped the financial request as a means of countering the demands and restrictions KF would have on him as an offensive coordinator? Certainly a possibility.

• Haha
Reactions: doughuddl2
Maybe he spent a little time reading these message boards and realized Iowa fans on these boards are complete asshats and he'd be better off some where else.
Good point, never see a**hat fans on other sites…….

Maybe it wasn’t his $’s it was the cost to pay off the OL coach, then hire a top $ OL coach, a top $ WR coach and then his request. Could add up to more than a $ or two.

I think both Buttmary and Deacon played rolls in Lester getting the job over Johns. Regardless, we’ve got what we’ve got so let’s hope for the best. I don’t think any of us expected KF to make super solid moves with these hires…

You mean you didn't listen to Tim Lester's presser and immediately think he was Kirk's biggest bro possible?

Well that was a whiff.

What's Kevin up to these days?
I mean, you have a point, but here is an accomplished OC who is coming in to take over the worst rated offense in the country and one of the bottom feeders the last three seasons. I would HOPE and expect an OC to come in with firm expectations and demands as to what he wanted to do to turn the ship around. If Johns wasn’t getting the answers he liked, I could see him jacking up the demand salary wise in order to make it more appealing. People do that all the time in business and business dealings.

True, you may point out that Johns is currently not employed, but for a guy that cares about his future and doesn’t want to be pigeonholed, I could see that being the case. His background is such that he is not going to be unemployed very long.

I mean, you have a point, but here is an accomplished OC who is coming in to take over the worst rated offense in the country and one of the bottom feeders the last three seasons. I would HOPE and expect an OC to come in with firm expectations and demands as to what he wanted to do to turn the ship around. If Johns wasn’t getting the answers he liked, I could see him jacking up the demand salary wise in order to make it more appealing. People do that all the time in business and business dealings.

True, you may point out that Johns is currently not employed, but for a guy that cares about his future and doesn’t want to be pigeonholed, I could see that being the case. His background is such that he is not going to be unemployed very long.
I could see monkeys flying out of your butt too.

Keep us up to date on KJ.

It does not seem to be a what if but more of a why, trying to understand why John’s was eliminated. Sometimes it comes down to fit or maybe Kirk just felt Tim interviewed better. John’s seemed better on paper but…

Now pigeonholed as not upto being on a coaching staff on gamedays at this time and starting all over again to get there.

Do you think he jacked up his salary demand on his analyst job at OU?

😆 🤣 😂 😹

Now pigeonholed as not upto being on a coaching staff on gamedays at this time and starting all over again to get there.

Do you think he jacked up his salary demand on his analyst job at OU?

😆 🤣 😂 😹
No one knows at this point if taking this position and not getting the Iowa OC job will result in a better or worse long-term outcome of his career. OU analyst very well may be a better stepping stone than Iowa OC.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT