ADVERTISEMENT

If Iowa recruits another "pro-style" QB instead of

a "dual-threat" player; the coaches have their head in a dark location.
I think your thread title should emphasize 'slow footed' QBs not "pro-style' qbs.

Look at the pros, Josh Allen, Hurts, Mahomes, Lamar Jackson etc etc all handoff and pass first and run when they need to.

I am totally for Iowa having much better running qbs because the QB is usually unaccounted for in a normal I formation type offense. Kirk's best teams had really good to pretty good mobile QBS: Banks, Chandler, Tate, Stanzi, CJB as those 5 lead the list.

Put any of those 5 QBs with the last 3 years defenses and they would win a few of the games they lost, maybe go undefeated but also CRUSH a lot of teams along the way.

Gotta pick your poison. Risk getting hurt running with it or have someone who couldn't hit the broadside of a barn w/ all the doors closed
I will just take pocket presence Hill absolutely has none of that

No - everyone in the Pros does not run. The goal is to find a QB that can get rid of the ball quickly, move, elude pressure and run for a first down occasionally. McNamara was that QB so your comment about Iowa QB's is incorrect. A running QB will not last in the pros, just look at the career life span of running backs. Teams aren't going to invest long term in one that cannot throw at a high level. It's why the Bears are having such a dilemma. Invest in a QB that is the best runner for his position in the NFL, but is an average passer and gets hurt and misses multiple games every year. A running QB will win you a game and maybe even a regular season title. But how many championships as MVP Lamar Jackson won? He's won a total of one playoff game. Mahomes is not a running QB, he is pass first but can move when he needs to. Rodgers was that way too. Hurts may be the closest thing to a running QB but he is an accurate passer. He's pretty beat up at this point too,

College is a different animal as they don't have to worry very long term about the position and there isn't the same amount of capital invested in it. I don't disagree that Iowa needs to be better at this position.

I don't think McNamara is exceptional Passer or Runner and he's injury prone. He's on short side, not especially fast. He was the incumbent and got beat out by a guy with zero experience at Michigan. My point---I'm not sure he's our guy.

I agree you have to be able to pass the Ball in NFL as 1st requirement and a guy like Purdy who is cerebral and decent athlete can do pretty well. In NFL if your QB is an exceptional runner/scrambler it helps get guys open in passing game so they don't need exceptional passing skills. Jalen Hurts almost won a Super Bowl last year and Lamar might be front runner in odds to win it this year.

I was just at lunch with a guy from India who was talking about Michigan-Alabama game and Wash-Texas. I told him I had joy of watching my Iowa team lose 0-35. He had seen a few Iowa games his season and he immediately said "you guys need a new quarterback."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT