ADVERTISEMENT

I'm sick of the excuses...Get a men's soccer team now

JRHawk2003

HR King
Jul 9, 2003
3rd highest participation of sports in our state yet no team? We have a gymnastics team with no guys from Iowa basically since there are no HS teams. WTH?

We have a facility so there would be almost no start up costs.

We lose Division I caliber plays from our state year after year.

Enough already!

Originally posted by Ray Kinsella:
I couldn't care less about soccer. And this athletic department has far greater issues than trying to stand up another sports program; it can't even properly manage the sports it has now.
+1

Part of the cost would be finding a womens sport to add to balance scholarships. The other thing is most of our existing sports need improvement to stay competitive, so does not look like a good time for adding anything.

and you do care about men's gymnastics? A lot more people care about soccer than men's gymnastics, despite the soccer hating of a certain segment of the population. Its pretty simple really. Get rid of mens gymnastics.

I don't think any of them are from Iowa. Honor the scholarships and make the transition.

I agree with you, but they just announced an upgrade/remodel of the gymnastics practice facilities about a month ago, so I don't think they are going anywhere. I suppose that would be necessary if we only had a women's team as well, but seems like bad timing to convince Barta to drop the sport.

As far as scholarships go, there are 19 men's gymnasts (one from Iowa) and 28 women's soccer players (four from Iowa). I assume men's soccer would probably need around 28 as well. Maybe have the football team give them 9 scholarships to make up the difference, there are certainly 2-3 guys in each Ferentz recruiting class that aren't worthy of a scholarship anyway.

Wow...I didnt know they had 28 players on scholly. I was thinking it would be 18-20. You are only going to play 15-16 during the season.

We are one of the few B1G teams not to have one. What is it they are doing that we aren't?

I don't follow mens gymnastics, though I do want all Iowa teams to be competitive. I would agree that subbing out another mens sport would be the most realistic way to get soccer. I was surprised that Barta hired Heller for baseball and seems to be attempting to upgrade the program - I thought it more likely he'd follow the lead of Wisconsin, ISU and UNI and simply drop the sport.

There are less than 20 Division 1 Men's Gymnastics teams. It's on its last legs anyway.

Of the B1G five schools that don't have men's soccer, four of them have a gymnastics program.
Figure as soon as gymnastics is gone the rest of the B1G will add men's soccer.

Scrap gymnastics and add men's soccer, men's hockey, women's hockey. Actually, i would like to keep gymnastics too but it seems scrapping it would be the only way to get the others added. This story that the athletic dept doesn't have enough money to afford these sports and be competitive across the board is a lie. The athletic department is awash in revenue and donations what it lacks is management.

Explain to me how other schools can field these sports yet Iowa, with all of its resources, cannot.

I know that high schools in Iowa got rid of girls gymnastics over the insurance costs. I would have to think its high for colleges as well.

There is almost no start up cost for a mens soccer team. They already have a nice facility out on Melrose. There are plenty of practice fields. There are minimal equipment costs. There are division I caliber players from the Mississippi Valley and Des Moines Metro every year.

Iowa had fencing at one time as a scholarship sport. Times change. Get with it Barta.

Originally posted by JRHawk2003:
Wow...I didnt know they had 28 players on scholly. I was thinking it would be 18-20. You are only going to play 15-16 during the season.

We are one of the few B1G teams not to have one. What is it they are doing that we aren't?
Just wanted to point out that I have no idea how soccer scholarships work - whether they are full or half, etc. And there are 28 players on the women's roster. Half could be walk-ons for all I know, but probably not.

I do think that domino will fall sooner rather than later and the NCAA will no longer sanction men's gymnastics. I think the BT also wants to see more development in the soccer area just like it has in hockey. There's always a need for weekday live programming on BTN. Soccer will happen, hockey will never ever happen.

Only 14 total scholarships in women soccer. 28 share the 14 as a %. Good academics are a must to get partial athletic and academic to help pay for school. Parents still pay out of pocket.

This post was edited on 2/4 12:25 PM by biggreydogs

Boy there's been a lot of misinformation in this thread. So let's get some facts in place. Then everyone can go on their rants.

NCAA Men's Gymnastics allow for 6.3 equivalency scholarships per team. NCAA Men's Soccer allows for 9.9 equivalency scholarships per team.There are only 17 NCAA Men's Gymnastic programs but only 12 are fully funded scholarship programs. Three of those 12 are the three US Service academies. So it is basically the 7 B1G programs plus Oklahoma and Stanford which are competing annually.There are about 84 schools that have men's gymnastics club teams.There are currently 19 gymnasts on the Iowa roster. One of those is from Iowa.There is probably only a handful of high schools anywhere in the country that have gymnastics programs. The cost is prohibitive. Collegiate men's gymnasts are recruited from club programs. Very similar to soccer. So the fact that there is no high men's gymnastics in the state is completely irrelevant. Unlike women's gymnastics, NCAA Men's Gymnastics is a primary training ground for The US team for international competition and therefore receives some subsidies from USA Gymnastics. However, this is starting to dry up.
So there you go. There is no doubt that the two sports most negatively impacted by the adoption and enforcement of Title IX are wrestling and men's gymnastics. On the date Title IX was passed into law, there were 239 varsity men's gymnastics programs in the country. Now there are 17.

I'm as big a soccer fan as you can get. I make an annual trip to England each spring to see a Liverpool match. However, adding men's soccer at the University of Iowa right now would be a disaster. They would be given a shoe string budget and would add to the majority of mediocre programs that Iowa currently sponsors at the varsity level. We would be a bottom feeder program for an extended period of time in the B1G. Especially against programs like Indiana, Maryland, Penn State, Rutgers, etc. People are also dramatically over-estimating the amount of prep talent that is being produced in the state of Iowa.

Bottom line is this. Men's gymnastics will ultimately die from it's own wounds. As the supplemental funds from USA Gymnastics continue to be removed from the collegiate sport, individual programs will die away and the sport will move completely to a club sport at the collegiate level in the US. When will this happen? I don't know.

Secondly, Iowa is not in compliance with Title IX per the proportionality measure. Once a men's sport is added without a corresponding women's sport, it eliminates our ability to claim compliance by the continual expansion of female opportunities measure. You then set yourself up for legal action.

Adding men's soccer will not happen anytime within the next 20 years short of some major legislative action towards Title IX. The next sport that will be added at Iowa will be Women's Lacrosse. It's the fastest growing sport in the country and is on pace to surpass volleyball nationally as the largest female participation sport within 10 years. The Iowa Girls High School Athletic Union will be adding women's lacrosse at the High school level within a few years and you already have good growth at the club level in the state. Per Gary Barta, women's lacrosse will be added at Iowa shortly after the IGHSAU adds it.

Originally posted by 73chief:

The next sport that will be added at Iowa will be Women's Lacrosse. It's the fastest growing sport in the country and is on pace to surpass volleyball nationally as the largest female participation sport within 10 years. The Iowa Girls High School Athletic Union will be adding women's lacrosse at the High school level within a few years and you already have good growth at the club level in the state. Per Gary Barta, women's lacrosse will be added at Iowa shortly after the IGHSAU adds it.
Any chance men's lacrosse would be added as well? I'd be more excited to see that than soccer.

10991051_10152833159228020_7232550666500671053_n.jpg

When would be a good time to add soccer then? I don't overstate the amount of talent in our state. Its similar to the ratios in other sports. However, there are often D1 players that do come out of Iowa. We would also recruit Chicago and St Louis I would guess and all the Midwest.

I realize Football skews the numbers badly for Title IX. I hate Title IX. Just give women some more academic scholarships if scholarships are the issue and be done with it.

Anyway. most other B1G schools have mens soccer. What are they doing that we are not? Indiana no less has a major power of a program and has for years. They have baseball too.

Originally posted by Ray Kinsella:

Originally posted by 73chief:

The next sport that will be added at Iowa will be Women's Lacrosse. It's the fastest growing sport in the country and is on pace to surpass volleyball nationally as the largest female participation sport within 10 years. The Iowa Girls High School Athletic Union will be adding women's lacrosse at the High school level within a few years and you already have good growth at the club level in the state. Per Gary Barta, women's lacrosse will be added at Iowa shortly after the IGHSAU adds it.
Any chance men's lacrosse would be added as well? I'd be more excited to see that than soccer.

10991051_10152833159228020_7232550666500671053_n.jpg
Not until the IHSAA adds it at the prep level in the state, which is probably 10 years away. I'm with you. I would love to have lacrosse long before soccer. You are starting to see some club programs start up in the state.

Soccer is one of the highest participation sports in the State and has now been in Iowa High Schools for over 30 years.

Iowa should have a men's team. Iowa has active HS and youth club programs and enough players to form a base for recruiting.

Soccer is one of the highest participation sports in the State and has now been in Iowa High Schools for over 30 years.

Iowa should have a men's team. Iowa has active HS and youth club programs and enough players to form a base for recruiting.

I don't think I would categorize it as "one of the highest participation sports in the state," at least not among high school boys. These numbers are from five years ago, and it shows soccer seventh. I guess it depends on your definition of "one of the highest?"

Posted from Rivals Mobile

I guess it beats gymnastics

I'm pretty sure its passed golf and is close to wrestling at this point. A lot of high schools have added it, especially the smaller ones.

Originally posted by hawkitd:

Originally posted by mikegsvu:
Soccer? I thought this was a sports message board. ;)
Posted from Rivals Mobile
zing!
Yeah....because golf is a real sport....

daly.jpg
Where did I say anything about golf?
I think you are confusing athletes with sport, they are certainly not the same thing.

I think the only thing missing from that picture is his beer!

Iowa and Indiana both have 24 varsity sports, however the difference is Indiana sacrificed gymnastics years ago to allow for soccer and gave the women water polo.......

The saddest part though is the fact that even with such limited teams participating, Iowa's gymnastics team still can't win a national title (though they do have one from back in 1969, the first NCAA-sanctioned championship in school history).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT