ADVERTISEMENT

*****Indiana vs Iowa (W) Game Thread*****

This team is really good.
If you have Molly and Gabby shooting good luck. Kate will always get hers and Caitlin enough said. Still worried about post defense and post points, but right now we look like a better team than at the same time last year. If we are just Clark you double Clark and dare the others. this is still a long season but damn so far it’s been magical. She can’t carry this team on her back and finish it can she?

Reactions: IBurnEasy
In front of a primetime network TV audience and another sellout crowd at Carver-Hawkeye Arena, where 15,000 fans braved some brutal winter weather to watch the greatest show on hardwood, Caitlin Clark did what she does better than anyone else in sports these days: put on a show. After a slow start, Clark finished with 30 points, 11 assists, and multiple highlight reel plays, pacing #3 Iowa to a dominant 84-57 win over #14 Indiana on Saturday night.

The win improved Iowa's record to 17-1 overall and 6-0 in Big Ten play. The Hoosiers fell to 14-2 overall and 5-1 in league play. The win was also Iowa's 14th consecutive win, setting a new record for Iowa under Lisa Bluder. The school-record winning streak is 22 games, set in 1987-88.

MORE HERE:

If you have Molly and Gabby shooting good luck. Kate will always get hers and Caitlin enough said. Still worried about post defense and post points, but right now we look like a better team than at the same time last year. If we are just Clark you double Clark and dare the others. this is still a long season but damn so far it’s been magical. She can’t carry this team on her back and finish it can she?
Can't double Clark. Too good with the ball. Will find wide open team-mate or break the double team and go to the hole herself.

I think this team is better rounded than last year. A lot went through Czianano last year.
More people are stepping up their game this year and opposing teams have to be very aware of that and not just focus on 1-2 people.
Absolutely. Most notably Syd, and Maddog (MD) Molly Davis. She had a shocking 3 minutes last night of high level play and has been really solid most of the year. When they said she was coming back this year, I was like "meh" but once again it just proves that the coaches know best.

I disagree about more well rounded than last year. We had starters filling out every role. Backup depth is where we lacked because of injuries. This year we don’t start a true center and basically play a 4 guard lineup with a PF in the middle. By definition that is less well rounded.

The difference is that our injured backups last year in Sharon and Kylie are back and contributing good minutes, our shooters are now getting hot, and CC has taken it to another level. We will see what happens when we run up against one of the teams with elite post talent, depth to give that elite player a breather, and shooters that hit their open shots. The game-plan against SC last year worked because they didn’t have shooters that would make us pay for doubling the post. LSU had a backup that killed us when we tried the same.

Reactions: ichawk24
I disagree about more well rounded than last year. We had starters filling out every role. Backup depth is where we lacked because of injuries. This year we don’t start a true center and basically play a 4 guard lineup with a PF in the middle. By definition that is less well rounded.

The difference is that our injured backups last year in Sharon and Kylie are back and contributing good minutes, our shooters are now getting hot, and CC has taken it to another level. We will see what happens when we run up against one of the teams with elite post talent, depth to give that elite player a breather, and shooters that hit their open shots. The game-plan against SC last year worked because they didn’t have shooters that would make us pay for doubling the post. LSU had a backup that killed us when we tried the same.
Well rounded may not be the best term. I think the girls are playing their roles better then this time last season. The bench is deeper. While losing MC and Warnock would seem to slow the offense, (we've just found other ways to score), the defense and rebounding are probably better. As some pointed out previously Cc tended to be a little too reliant on feeding the post with MC where as our scoring has been more spread out this year which really isn't a bad thing at all. We've played some big teams VT, KSU, and Indiana was bigger across the board and yet here we are. Now SC and maybe LSU are different animals all together, but few here think we match up well against them. If we get to another elite 8, you never know. With Clark, you just let it play out and see what kind of magic happens. Roster wise we shouldn't be on the same floor as SC but you just never know....

Well rounded may not be the best term. I think the girls are playing their roles better then this time last season. The bench is deeper. While losing MC and Warnock would seem to slow the offense, (we've just found other ways to score), the defense and rebounding are probably better. As some pointed out previously Cc tended to be a little too reliant on feeding the post with MC where as our scoring has been more spread out this year which really isn't a bad thing at all. We've played some big teams VT, KSU, and Indiana was bigger across the board and yet here we are. Now SC and maybe LSU are different animals all together, but few here think we match up well against them. If we get to another elite 8, you never know. With Clark, you just let it play out and see what kind of magic happens. Roster wise we shouldn't be on the same floor as SC but you just never know....
I felt Catlin was trying to force the ball inside a bit too much last night on some plays that resulted in turnovers.
She's a great passer but I felt maybe the interior was a bit too congested. And for good reason.

Reactions: CarterHall

Agreed. What will happen when they have 2 big girls? One, we have seen pretty elite bigs in Holmes, Kitley, Aoka, and the Iowa State kid. Lsu is really big and athletic, it may be tough to guard those folks with our crew.

I’ll be the first to admit I’m not an expert on basketball.

But I’ve read a lot of comments regarding how good Stuelke is.

I guess I didn’t see it in this game.

She doesn’t play like she has confidence. Doesn’t seem to handle the ball well either.

Im sure I’m wrong but for some reason wanted to post my stupid thoughts. Lol

She doesn’t play like she has confidence. Doesn’t seem to handle the ball well either.

There are not that many post players in the women's game (that I have seen) that can handle a hot dime while moving close to full speed. She's not a brute but is active. I think of her like Horace Grant was with the Bulls.

Stuelke leads the B1G in effective field goal percentage, and 2nd in raw FG ptg. 12th in rebounds per game. 5th in total offensive rebounds, 1st in offensive rebound ptg. 4th in PER. 4th in Win Shares per 40. 8th in box plus minus. 14th in lowest turnover ptg.

But the trolls can't see it.

She is very athletic and is big, which allows her to do things others can’t really attempt. She runs the floor incredibly well and has good hands. IU like any team tried to put a lid on our transition game therefore limiting long passes down the court. She is also young and still adjusting to her role. Like many of our players, she sometimes struggles figuring out when she should go for it and when she should defer to Clark. We are also deep enough we have quite a few players (older than her) that can take the load off so she doesn’t need to be a force in every game. Last year she was very turnover prone but she has largely cleaned that up. Her FT shooting and her 3 pt shooting are improved from last year (if not markedly). She also basically shoots the same FG% as Czinano believe it or not.

Reactions: Hendy hawk
Stuelke leads the B1G in effective field goal percentage, and 2nd in raw FG ptg. 12th in rebounds per game. 5th in total offensive rebounds, 1st in offensive rebound ptg. 4th in PER. 4th in Win Shares per 40. 8th in box plus minus. 14th in lowest turnover ptg.

But the trolls can't see it.

Yet had 5 points and 5 rebounds the other night.

Also had a couple stupid turnovers. Coaches weren’t happy with her play.

Not a hater or a troll, just calling it as I see it and asking. I said I wasn’t an expert. Lol

She is very athletic and is big, which allows her to do things others can’t really attempt. She runs the floor incredibly well and has good hands. IU like any team tried to put a lid on our transition game therefore limiting long passes down the court. She is also young and still adjusting to her role. Like many of our players, she sometimes struggles figuring out when she should go for it and when she should defer to Clark. We are also deep enough we have quite a few players (older than her) that can take the load off so she doesn’t need to be a force in every game. Last year she was very turnover prone but she has largely cleaned that up. Her FT shooting and her 3 pt shooting are improved from last year (if not markedly). She also basically shoots the same FG% as Czinano believe it or not.
Thanks for your reply.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT