ADVERTISEMENT

Inside a rural Iowa school district’s fight to save public education

I did my 33+ years so I'll be out this summer. I wouldn't go into public education today under any circumstances - certainly not in NC. Anyone who tells me they are pursuing that path, I tell them to get out of this state.

My wife and I spent 4 years trying to get our son and DiL to not go I to education, and if they were adamant about it, leave Iowa.

We failed. But at least they aren't in a small district.

I did my 33+ years so I'll be out this summer. I wouldn't go into public education today under any circumstances - certainly not in NC. Anyone who tells me they are pursuing that path, I tell them to get out of this state.
In Iowa going on strike can lead to jail time. Definitely don't come here. Big budget cuts are just one of our problems.

I bet our district goes into next year short at least 50 teachers for open positions. There are dozens of jobs open for next year that nobody IN DISTRICT wants.

• Sad
Reactions: HawkMD and EasyHawk
Also you can see why the Rs eliminated auditing for stuff like this. They don't want any official statewide numbers to verify how badly they're screwing over schools.
IMO the schools screwed over themselves. COVID finally woke parents up to what was going on at public schools and you are now seeing the result. People can still choose a public school, they are choosing not to because of the product.

IMO the schools screwed over themselves. COVID finally woke parents up to what was going on at public schools and you are now seeing the result. People can still choose a public school, they are choosing not to because of the product.
False. the struggles of public education in Iowa have going on for 25 years because of underfunding and lack of State support.

I bet our district goes into next year short at least 50 teachers for open positions. There are dozens of jobs open for next year that nobody IN DISTRICT wants.
The school my kids went to hasn't had one of their HS science teacher positions filled for 2 years. When they found out my son was a Bio/Chem dual major and had secondary ed endorsement, they have been trying to pry him away pretty much constantly (which is an issue since he coaches track there).

The problem is, his old school has roughly 500 students district wide, his current school has 1000 students in the HS. His old school is going to have massive issues in the next 5-10 years thanks to Kim.

I value the Constirtution and its spirit more than I do parental options.,I fully support private /parochial schools in America… they should not be financed with tax money and not be regulated by the public.
This is as least a solid basis for an argument against it.

False. the struggles of public education in Iowa have going on for 25 years because of underfunding and lack of State support.
It’s spells it out pretty much right there in the article. Iowa was one of the tops in the nation before the 21st century when its supplemental funding levels were 5-7% annually. Once that dropped to 1-3%, its standing has dropped accordingly.

It’s spells it out pretty much right there in the article. Iowa was one of the tops in the nation before the 21st century when its supplemental funding levels were 5-7% annually. Once that dropped to 1-3%, its standing has dropped accordingly.

And just a note, it's not just local/state funding that's an issue. The federal Dept of Ed getting cut has a nationwide effect as well.

I’m extremely proud of my youngest son for going into education despite the current environment that seems stacked against teachers. He had a lot of options coming out of high school but pursued his passion because he loves teaching and coaching.

One year to go at Iowa and he’s already substitute teaching and using his coaching certification this track season. He’s lined up an opportunity to student teach next spring in Japan and his mother and I hope to meet him there when he finishes so we can travel with him before returning stateside as a graduation gift to him for his hard work and the obvious dedication to his studies.

I value the Constirtution and its spirit more than I do parental options.,I fully support private /parochial schools in America… they should not be financed with tax money and not be regulated by the public.

And I agree with this 100%. No issues with someone wanting to send their kids to a private or parochial school. However, they should fund 100% of their kids schooling while also contributing to public school via their taxes, cause again...society benefits.

Democrats and educators warned Iowans this would result back in the days of the first Branstad go-round. Guess what? They were correct…and Branstad was wrong. And it was a Branstad decision originally! He defied many in his own Party as he crafted his budgets…and education and Human services were always areas that he bled of funds.

They can choose whatever the hell they want. The public shouldn't be forced to pay for their private school choice. If you don't like that, the answer is simple: Accept public money, accept public responsibilities.

1. They must accept every student who applies - same as public schools.

2. They can’t charge any more for voucher students than the voucher pays - same as public schools.

3. They must follow and allocate funds for every accommodation in a student’s IEP/504 - same as public schools

4. No student under 16 may be expelled unless the school fully funds an alternative placement that meets the student’s needs - same as public schools

5. Every student must take every state and local mandated test - same as public schools

If THEY don't like those responsibilities, they pay their own way. Why do you have a problem with that?

Class disrupters need to be removed but that fight was lost a long time ago.

Also need fewer school districts. As farms get bigger less people live in rural Iowa.

Nobody will touch either of those issues with a ten foot pole.

Reactions: hexumhawk
This,.. There are some kids that simply don't deserve to remain in a class environment..
Nothing chases parents out of public school system more.

When I went to school the disruptive kids were immediately removed. After a while they might get a second chance but none of this personal handler sitting next to them bullshit we have today.

Special Ed teachers should be paid a lot. With burnout maybe offer them a year rotation as a normal teacher.

You get rid of the crap kids and you will find teachers and students a lot happier.

When I went to school the disruptive kids were immediately removed. After a while they might get a second chance but none of this personal handler sitting next to them bullshit we have today.

Special Ed teachers should be paid a lot. With burnout maybe offer them a year rotation as a normal teacher.

You get rid of the crap kids and you will find teachers and students a lot happier.

Yep,.. Parents won't willingly send their children into unsafe environments, and some of these disruptive kids create unsafe classrooms that are not conducive to learning...

Those kids grow up, you know.

The left advocates for equal disciplinary outcomes and then a profession dominated by left leaning people complain that they can't remove problem students.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT