ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa at Texas Tech - Friday, March 10, 2023

AuroraHawk

HR Heisman
Dec 18, 2004
Although LSU may have been the game that Iowa baseball fans were looking at before the season started, the trip to Lubbock is the series that fans were looking at. Low and behold, neither team has disappointed and played their way into what promises to be a dogfight between two teams which will compete for their respective conference titles and a bid to an NCAA Regional.

I've seen no postings regarding Texas Tech's rotation for the series. However, Brendan Girton has been their Friday starter the last two weekends - against Western Illinois and Rice.

Line against WIU: 5 IP; 6 H; 2 BB; 3 R (2 ER); 3 Ks - 83 Pitches
Line against Rice: 4.1 IP; 2 H; 2 BB; 2 R (2 ER); 5 Ks - 91 Pitches

He pitched 6 innings of relief in TT's opener against Gonzaga after TT's starter was knocked of the game after 2 innings. His line: 6 IP; 1 H; 0 BB; 0 R; 6 Ks - 84 pitches

Girton took the loss against Iowa last year in Iowa City. Line 3 IP; 3 H; 1 BB; 1 R (1 ER); 1 K - 44 IP. Girton came into the game in the 6th inning with a runner on base and no outs and the score tied 1-1. Iowa scored 4 that inning and Andy Nelson hit a 3 run HR off of Girton. Iowa won 6-3. It was Girton's last outing of '22 - injury sidelined him for remainder of year.

Girton's link at TT site: https://texastech.com/sports/baseball/roster/brendan-girton/12164

TT's got some bats. 4 guys hitting over .350 and each of them have at least 2 HRs. Their top hitter so far this season is Gavin Cash (.464/4 HR / 20 RBI/11 BBs/.536 OBP). He's a Sophomore transfer from U of Texas. Plays 1B. Hits 6th in their order. Tells you a little something about TT's lineup.

I presume that Langenberg will be pitching on Friday. He desperately needs a good outing. Been a struggle thus far for him. Against a not very good Southern team, Langenberg was hit hard: 6 hits/6 walks in 5 IP. 90 pitches in those 5 innings. Langenberg pitched in Iowa's win last year against TT. He started, pitched 5 innings and gave up 3 hits, 2 walks and a single run. Here's hoping that we see the '22 version of Langenberg as opposed to what we've seen out of him this year. Hawks will need that type of effort.

Really looking forward to some great games.

Last edited:
Although LSU may have been the game that Iowa baseball fans were looking at before the season started, the trip to Lubbock is the series that fans were looking at. Low and behold, neither team has disappointed and played their way into what promises to be a dogfight between two teams which will compete for their respective conference titles and a bid to an NCAA Regional.

I've seen no postings regarding Texas Tech's rotation for the series. However, Brendan Girton has been their Friday starter the last two weekends - against Western Illinois and Rice.

Line against WIU: 5 IP; 6 H; 2 BB; 3 R (2 ER); 3 Ks - 83 Pitches
Line against Rice: 4.1 IP; 2 H; 2 BB; 2 R (2 ER); 5 Ks - 91 Pitches

He pitched 6 innings of relief in TT's opener against Gonzaga after TT's starter was knocked of the game after 2 innings. His line: 6 IP; 1 H; 0 BB; 0 R; 6 Ks - 84 pitches

Girton took the loss against Iowa last year in Iowa City. Line 3 IP; 3 H; 1 BB; 1 R (1 ER); 1 K - 44 IP. Girton came into the game in the 6th inning with a runner on base and no outs and the score tied 1-1. Iowa scored 4 that inning and Andy Nelson hit a 3 run HR off of Girton. Iowa won 6-3. It was Girton's last outing of '22 - injury sidelined him for remainder of year.

TT's got some bats. 4 guys hitting over .350 and each of them have at least 2 HRs. Their top hitter so far this season is Gavin Cash (.464/4 HR / 20 RBI/11 BBs/.536 OBP). He's a Sophomore transfer from U of Texas. Plays 1B. Hits 6th in their order. Tells you a little something about TT's lineup.

I presume that Langenberg will be pitching on Friday. He desperately needs a good outing. Been a struggle thus far for him. Against a not very good Southern team, Langenberg was hit hard: 6 hits/6 walks in 5 IP. 90 pitches in those 5 innings. Langenberg pitched in Iowa's win last year against TT. He started, pitched 5 innings and gave up 3 hits, 2 walks and a single run. Here's hoping that we see the '22 version of Langenberg as opposed to what we've seen out of him this year. Hawks will need that type of effort.

Really looking forward to some great games.

I don't pretend to understand when it is "too early" or "just right" to start seriously looking at RPI points and standings but I couldn't help myself to check this morning to see how Iowa's RPI would be impacted by a win or loss at Texas Tech today (which will be quite similar on Saturday and Sunday).

For those who don't check or follow the Warren Nolan site, Iowa is currently sitting at #18. Coaches' poll #21 Texas Tech with a record of 12-2 has a RPI of #162. (That's not a typo)

An Iowa win nets 110 RPI points. That's pretty close to what I would have expected. An Iowa defeat loses 79 RPI points. That's more points than I would have expected.

Which begs the question to those who may understand how RPI works better than me. Since Texas Tech's RPI is at an early season low, does the system somehow "adjust" as the season progresses to account for later results? If Iowa loses 2 of 3 to a team with a RPI of 162 now but that same team finishes the season with a top 30 RPI, is the end result the same as if Iowa lost 2 of 3 to that top 30 RPI team if they played the last series of the year?

I know that Warren Nolan's site refers to "Indirect Impact" games where teams gain/lose points based upon how their previous opponents perform. I'm thinking that is where the system accounts for early season disparity in RPI statistics. In other words, when LSU starts playing top rated SEC teams, Iowa should see some nice "bumps" in RPI points - assuming LSU continues to be one of the best teams in college baseball and wins a lot of SEC series. Same could be written about Texas Tech.

All in all, Iowa fans should be rooting for LSU to win the SEC and, after this weekend's series, Iowa fans should be rooting for Texas Tech to win the Big 12 (they have some big series coming up . . . #14 Okie St; #16 TCU and #3 Stanford).

Reactions: ssckelley
Went searching to see if I could confirm that Brendan Girton will be throwing for Texas Tech tonight and found this:

It doesn't identify in writing that Girton is starting, but that is a picture of him. And then I saw this . . . a nationally ranked Big 12 team touting the fact that it is hosting a nationally ranked B1G team (nice!):

I’m really tied into this program but have to admit this is my first pregame radio listen. Let’s go!

ESPN+ not working for me. ***k
Odd. No problem here. Hope it clears up for you!

1-0 Hawks after they had bases loaded and no outs. Bottom of the 2nd…

Went searching to see if I could confirm that Brendan Girton will be throwing for Texas Tech tonight and found this:

It doesn't identify in writing that Girton is starting, but that is a picture of him. And then I saw this . . . a nationally ranked Big 12 team touting the fact that it is hosting a nationally ranked B1G team (nice!):

They’re #21 in the NCAA coaches poll, but ESPN apparently uses the writers. I don’t like that out of superstition.

To Jared Simpson already in B3. Disappointing effort by Langenberg tonight. Coming out and issuing a walk right after Iowa took the lead in T2 was really disheartening.

Edit: Langenberg throwing in the ‘pen. There’s something going on with him. Another outing where he wasn’t close with breaking pitch. Hard to keep hitters off balance when you can only throw changeups consistently for strikes.

Last edited:
Another leadoff walk after an inning where Iowa scores. Maddening.

EDIT: TT’s rally started with the leadoff walk. Simpson throwing a ton of pitches. He can’t have much left in his tank.

Dorighi bails him out with great play on foul pop-up.

Last edited:
TT’s reliever (Free) shows exactly what happens when you throw strikes and get ahead in counts. Iowa’s pitchers have struggled tonight.

He supposedly wanted to challenge but ump said his challenge wasn’t in time

They hemmed and hawed too long. Primarily on Hucksdorf. He needed to tell the coaches right away thatvthe tag was above his belt.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT