ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Baseball @ Kansas

Mar 14, 2003
Iowa heads to Lawrence to face Kansas on Fri-Sun. It looks like Peyton, Hickman, Mathews in that order. Games are at 6pm Fri, 2pm Sat, and 1pm Sun. This will be a good challenge against a Big 12 school. Kansas is 8-12, but do no let the record fool you. They have played some very tough teams this year and just took 2/3 from Michigan. So Iowa will need to pitch well and hit well. KU always seems to have some good arms and bats regardless of the year. Hopefully Iowa can get a series W vs the Jayhawks.

They also have some power as they has 12 homeruns as a team this year. Blair Beck is their power guy it appears as he is hitting .299 with 5 homeruns so far.

Also, the weekends games can be seen on ESPN3 apparently.

Iowa loses to Kansas 4-3 in Lawrence. Iowa scored two runs on three hits in the 9th. Before that Iowa had three hits and a run for the first 8 innings. More of the same from Iowa, they had bases loaded in the 8th with one out and another time with runners on 2nd/3rd with an out and cannot get a hit. I fear it will be an issue for Iowa all year.

Peyton, Erickson, and Shulista pitched. Erickson was a little shaky but overall the staff did enough to put Iowa in position to win.

Iowa baseball defeats Kansas today in Lawrence by the score of 6-4. The offense was much better as Iowa got three in the 1st, and a run each in the 4th, 6th, and 8th.

Nick Day was 3-3 with an RBI
Jake Mangler and Eric Toole were 2-4 with an RBI each
Dan Potempa was 2-4 with an RBI
Austin Guzzo was 1-3 with an RBI
Joel Booker was 1-4 with 2 RBI's

The encouraging thing was that Iowa scored runs with two outs and got the timely hits in these possessions. Something we have not done a lot this year.

Blake Hickman only went 4 2/3 and did not have his best stuff. He gave up three hits and four runs, he had five strikeouts but also five walks.

Connor Grant threw but did not record any outs as he walked a run in x2 and gave up a HBP that plated a run, those runs were all credited to Hickman.

Luke Vandermaten gave Iowa some good work as he went 2 1/3 and gave up four hits. He got credited with the W.

Nick Hibbing got the two inning save, giving up no hits or walks with one strikeout.

Iowa will attempt to take the series with Calvin Mathews pitching, hopefully Calvin continues to be solid like he has all season. This will be a good test for him.

Great to see the baseball program be in this position, Heller appears to have the ball rolling!

Got to see my first Iowa baseball game in person ever (combination of living far away from IC and they've sucked my entire life) down here in Kansas. Iowa walks away with a 6-2 win.

Hawks lit up the bats today with 3 HR's and 14 hits. Potempa would have made it 4 HR's but he got robbed by the LF.

Pitching was pretty much by committee. Matthews went 5 2/3 and only allowed like 3 hits, but allowed alot of extra runners. I think Iowa threw a total of 6 pitchers today. Gave up way too many walks and HBP's, but they all worked their way out of trouble surprisingly.

Common theme for both teams was leaving a ton of LOB's out there.

As a spectator, Heller's Iowa teams the last couple years at least make baseball fun to watch (unlike MLB baseball IMO). They are very aggressive swingers and baserunners. Sometimes this can come back to bite as they don't really wait for the "perfect pitch" and that sometimes leads to untimely groundouts and flyouts and hence the heavy number of LOB's. However, it also leads to fewer strikeouts and in a game like today, lots and lots of hits. Additionally, you see very few batters taking timeouts or pitchers constantly trying (unsuccessfully) to pick guys off. They play "fast" as a team if that makes sense.

Most impressive for me was the OF group on defense. Those guys can cover some space.

Iowa beats Kansas 6-2 to take the series and move to 14-5 on the season. Iowa hit the ball well today as they had 14 hits including solo homeruns from Kris Goodman, Nick Day, and Joel Booker.

Eric Toole was 4-4 with a double
Jake Mangler was 1-5 with an RBI
Dan Potempa was 2-5 with an RBI

Joel Booker was 3-5 with the solo HR
Kris Goodman was 1-5 with the solo HR
Nick Day was 2-4 with the solo HR

Iowa only left 9 on base which is an improvement.

Calvin Mathews went 4 2/3 for Iowa and allowed three hits and three walks, his pitch count was high though at 91.
Josh Martsching went 1 2/3 allowing two walks and an earned run
Ryan Erickson went 1/3 of an inning allowing a hit
Tyler Radtke went 2/3 of an inning and allowed three hits and an earned run
Nick Allgeyer threw the last 2/3 to earn a save, allowing a hit.

The only concern is that Radtke continues to struggle a bit it seems, so that is a concern. Iowa did have two errors which you do not like to see, so hope we can clean that up.

Iowa comes back to Iowa City this week to face Bradley on Wednesday at 3pm then it's time to see where we really stand with the big boys as Indiana is in town for our opening B1G series. The games are on Fri-Sun at 3pm, 2pm, and 1pm. Get out to Iowa City and Duane Banks and support this team!!

I made the trip to KU and I was blown away by the number of Hawk fans! The only disappointing thing about the entire weekend was Allen Field house was closed for renovation. Would have liked to taken a peek inside. I think as we look back on the season, the games at Huston Baptist, Middle Tenn State, and this weekend at KU will stand out as big series. Ku just 2 of 3 from a very good Michigan team and has played a legit schedule. It get tough going fwd, Indiana comes to Banks Stadium this week and the Hawks will need to hit on all cylinders to win a series.

Originally posted by port3:
I made the trip to KU and I was blown away by the number of Hawk fans! The only disappointing thing about the entire weekend was Allen Field house was closed for renovation. Would have liked to taken a peek inside. I think as we look back on the season, the games at Huston Baptist, Middle Tenn State, and this weekend at KU will stand out as big series. Ku just 2 of 3 from a very good Michigan team and has played a legit schedule. It get tough going fwd, Indiana comes to Banks Stadium this week and the Hawks will need to hit on all cylinders to win a series.
I agree with you and until I found this link I hadn't realized how strong (at least on paper) our schedule has been. This site has our projected RPI at 26th in the country. RPI doesn't carry the weight in college baseball that it does in basketball but nonetheless it is an impressive number.

This post was edited on 3/23 12:08 PM by 2bagger22

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT