ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Baseball vs Grandview/Western Illinois

Mar 14, 2003
Iowa hosts Grandview on Tuesday @ 3pm and Western Illinois on Wednesday @ 3pm. Iowa will be starting Nick Gallagher on Tuesday and Connor Grant on Wednesday.

Iowa has an RPI of 11 and is at 16-6 (3-0 B1G). Iowa is at a point where if they have post season ambitions they have to win the majority of their midweek games (especially these) and series like the one coming up @ Purdue.

Would the Grandview game matter? I think that is essentially an exhibition. For example, Iowa is 17-6, but the AIB win doesn't show up as a victory since it was an out of division game.

Iowa baseball is on the verge of relevance. Didn't think I would see it in my lifetime.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Yeah, I don't think that this game will count for the Hawks. Granted, still want to get the win. Now, the game on Wednesday, at Bradley, with their RPI could be beneficial to win.

Have a kid that I watched play in High school on the Grandview team. Hope that he has a good game, but of course, want the Hawks to win the game!

Iowa beat Grandview 9-2 and moves to 18-6. As has been discussed, the non-D1 games do not count toward RPI/NCAA tournament.

Iowa goes to Western Illinois on Wednesday, need to win this if we really want to have an at-large shot.

Iowa down 12-5 in the 8th after being up 5-0 after 4. The 5th\6th iowa gave up a combined 12 runs. This will be by far Iowa's worst loss and an rpi killer. If you want to make the postseason cannot lose to wiu. They have been a pain in Iowa's side the last couple years. Rpi may go down 20 spots.

Terrible loss RPI wise for Iowa. It seems that ever since Ryan Brownlee left Iowa as an assistant to be the head man at WIU, Iowa has had their hands full with WIU whenever they face them.

Originally posted by IowaHawkeyeFBnBB4Life:
Terrible loss RPI wise for Iowa. It seems that ever since Ryan Brownlee left Iowa as an assistant to be the head man at WIU, Iowa has had their hands full with WIU whenever they face them.
Brownlee and staff circle this game, that's for sure.

I guess I'm not sure what you mean by this? That Iowa sucks, and were lucky to beat Indiana in 3 straight?

They lost a mid-week game where things didn't go right and the pitching/defense let them down. It's baseball, it happens. If Iowa goes out and gets swept by Purdue, then I guess the BAU comment would be relevant.

If folks think the basketball program had fell into a ditch (and it had) then the baseball program was in a crater underneath the ditch. It had been 25 YEARS since the program had been ranked (and also 25 years since it made an NCAA regional). That is down. For Heller to have the program in a place where it's not totally a dream for Iowa to be in a place where it could quality for the NCAA regional play if it puts up a good B1G record is nothing short of a miracle.

Having seen the Iowa team in person a couple times this year, Heller has gone a very good job of getting more out of the players he inherited, as well as greatly improving the amount of quality arms and overall athleticism of the team. That is reflected in the team's ERA (2.81) and the (generally) great defense. This year's team is possibly a hitter or 2 away from being real good and/or being a legitimate contender for the conference title. But you sweep Indiana and it's natural to be optimistic.

Originally posted by DodgerHawki:
I guess I'm not sure what you mean by this? That Iowa sucks, and were lucky to beat Indiana in 3 straight?

They lost a mid-week game where things didn't go right and the pitching/defense let them down. It's baseball, it happens. If Iowa goes out and gets swept by Purdue, then I guess the BAU comment would be relevant.
Iowa losing a game they shouldn't have.................................bau.

lurk.r191677.gif

Originally posted by EvilMo...Closet:

lurk.r191677.gif

Sure, that is commonplace for the baseball program but until you realize how far this program has come you'll remain unsatisfied.

Originally posted by 2bagger22:

They lost a mid-week game where things didn't go right and the pitching/defense let them down. It's baseball, it happens. If Iowa goes out and gets swept by Purdue, then I guess the BAU comment would be relevant.Â

lurk.r191677.gif

Sure, that is commonplace for the baseball program but until you realize how far this program has come you'll remain unsatisfied.
You can easily lose midweek games to teams like WIU, it's just the nature of the midweek beast. However, losing to Bradley and WIU in back to back midweek games concerns me. Iowa has UW-Milwaukee on Wed, we need to find a way to win some of these midweek games.

They lost a mid-week game where things didn't go right and the pitching/defense let them down. It's baseball, it happens. If Iowa goes out and gets swept by Purdue, then I guess the BAU comment would be relevant.Â

lurk.r191677.gif

Okay, but I'm talking about how this is commonplace for Iowa sports in general over the course of its history (particularly recent history), regardless of the sport or the current state of said sports program...........hence BAU.

So there...
indifferent.r191677.gif

lurk.r191677.gif

Okay, but I'm talking about how this is commonplace for Iowa sports in general over the course of its history (particularly recent history), regardless of the sport or the current state of said sports program...........hence BAU. 

So there...
indifferent.r191677.gif

Fair. The text exchange between a friend and me following the WIU mirrored your sentiments; I simply believe it's trending up on the baseball field.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT