ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Baseball vs Western Illinois

Mar 14, 2003
Final midweek game of the year in Iowa City on Tuesday night @ 6:35pm. It is $2 for adults to get in and they are having $2 tacos for Cinco De Mayo.

Iowa will be starting Nick Gallagher, TBA for WIU.

Thank God this is the last midweek game. They have pretty much only hurt us this year, either by outright losing to an inferior team or getting punished by losing SOS or having it not count at all (Cornell, etc.).

Thank God this is the last midweek game. They have pretty much only hurt us this year, either by outright losing to an inferior team or getting punished by losing SOS or having it not count at all (Cornell, etc.).

That is true, although if we win even one of the Bradley games then it helps the RPI even more. Just need to battle and find a way to get it done.

So far this has all the makings of another midweek let down. Iowa has drawn six walks in the first three innings, only has one hit, and has hit into two double plays.

0-0 in the 4th

The Hawks have to be approaching some sort of record for number of double plays they have hit into this season.

It's quite frustrating actually and perplexing. Iowa has lined into A LOT of double plays too. We've also struck out more than I remember last year.

With that being said, Iowa has now drawn eight walks through four innings. Still one hit and it's still 0-0 in the 5th. Even if you get 1 or 2 hits after those walks you have some runs.

Reactions: 3boysmom
Welp...

Western Illinois gets a single, double, hit by pitch, and a 2 RBI single all with two outs in the 5th to lead Iowa 2-0.

Iowa loses this game, at-large bid is probably off the table unless we win out in the regular season.

Quite unbelievable actually....

Take the lead on the 13TH walk of the game. Why are we even swinging the bat. Bases still jacked. Could bust it wide open here.

Praise Jesus...Hawks break it open with a bases loaded walk to Klenovich, followed by a 2-out single by Roscetti that scores Goodman and Peyton. 5-2, still batting in the bottom of the 6th.

Take the lead on the 13TH walk of the game. Why are we even swinging the bat. Bases still jacked. Could bust it wide open here.

13 walks is crazy. This game should've been broke open by the 2nd inning. My fear was after four that we missed our chances with free bases. Iowa needs to keep battling and stay after it!

WIU gets a single, stolen base, RBI single, fly out, two run HR....

6-5 Iowa not in the 7th with WIU still batting. It just amazes me how Western Illinois battles Iowa.

Welp...

Western Illinois gets a single, double, hit by pitch, and a 2 RBI single all with two outs in the 5th to lead Iowa 2-0.

Iowa loses this game, at-large bid is probably off the table unless we win out in the regular season.

Quite unbelievable actually....
No. They are in so long as they win both of the remaining series.

If iowa wins out they are a lock to host a regional IMO. If they take 2 of 3 from Minnesota and sweep Rutgers, they may likely host still but a couple wins in B1G tournament would solidly that.

their resume is very solid and i think the NCAA will have some strong B1G sympathies.

i sense the baseball folks can feel the draw of having a surge in northern baseball. Iowa picked a good year to make a jump.

Iowa really had a chance to blow this game open and couldn't make it happen. We need to take advantage of gifts like that. However, getting the W is huge. Iowa's RPI went from 23 to 26 after the win and SOS from 93 to 107. So that gives you a sense of how far of a plunge you'd take if you lose to a 230-240 RPI team like WIU. We'd probably fallen to mid to low 30's. Minnesota and Rutgers has low RPIs as well at 159 and 202. So we want to take care of business. I am not sure how many games we will get in vs Minnesota if the forecast holds. We will have some tough games in the B1G tournament as well, going to be very competitive.

Listen... nobody wants the hawks to host a regional more than I do, but I just don't see it happening from a facility standpoint. The place was busting at the seams with Nebby in town, how would it be with 3 teams? How would the renovations be affected if Iowa was snubbed because of stadium limitations? I walked both lines last night and just don't see room to add seating for 2000. I hope they can, I just don't see it. With that being said.... I can't wait for this team to experience June baseball. GO HAWKS!!!

Last edited:
Listen... nobody wants the hawks to host a regional more than I do, but I just don't see it happening from a facility standpoint. The place was busting at the seams with Nebby in town, how would it be with 3 teams? How would the renovations be affected if Iowa was snubbed because of stadium limitations? I walked both lines last night and just don't see room to add seating for 2000. I hope they can, I just don't see it. With that being said.... I can't wait for this team to experience baseball. GO HAWKS!!!

Unfortunately I agree with you. There isn't much space unless you throw some bleachers in the outfield (they'd need to be higher than your normal metal bleacher) or take away space in the bullpens.

Coach Brownlee is a tremendous guy and he's much more than "vengeful". He recruited the majority of the starting lineup - why the hell wouldn't he want to beat his former team?
Because it's the wrong thing to do........
noidea.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT