ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa-Columbia preview with Probable Lineups

Todd Conner

HR MVP
Dec 23, 2004

It is great to be an Iowa Wrestling fan.

Go Hawks!

Agree and I hope it happens. If 133 currently is the best we will have, I don't see any better than Rd 16 at NCAAs
Teske is tough as nails, though reminds me of a true freshman with uncharacteristic losses. I also dont see him putting together a run at NCAAs but hope Im wrong if he is the guy.

Reactions: Nashville_Hawkeye
I just want to see some life out of this team!! What the hell is going on with the guys I thought would be hammers this year. I will be really disappointed if we don’t see some serious bonus points during this dual.

I just want to see some life out of this team!! What the hell is going on with the guys I thought would be hammers this year. I will be really disappointed if we don’t see some serious bonus points during this dual.
Not to be argumentative but who in this lineup would you consider a hammer? Ayala hot and cold, teske not much offense, Woods goes on cruise control a lot, VV zero offense, franek is defensive minded, Caliendo yes, Kennedy has 1 leg, 84 is a hole, glazier been decent, hill isn’t getting much.
Only life i see is if Gabe and 2 Ferraris take over in the lineup, otherwise it’s gonna be a long boring year.

Not to be argumentative but who in this lineup would you consider a hammer? Ayala hot and cold, teske not much offense, Woods goes on cruise control a lot, VV zero offense, franek is defensive minded, Caliendo yes, Kennedy has 1 leg, 84 is a hole, glazier been decent, hill isn’t getting much.
Only life i see is if Gabe and 2 Ferraris take over in the lineup, otherwise it’s gonna be a long boring year.
I would consider Woods a hammer

When he’s on he is absolutely a hammer. Some matches he seems to wrestle down to his opponents level, or lets them dictate the matches pace instead of grinding them.
He does not look to be in any danger of losing even in the one score matches. Alot of his close matches are dictated by what the ref believes is stalling or is not. Id have to go back and look but think it is safe to say that there may be a total of 1-2 shots for takedown all year against him other than in the last 30 seconds of his matches.

Reactions: TNTwrestle
When he’s on he is absolutely a hammer. Some matches he seems to wrestle down to his opponents level, or lets them dictate the matches pace instead of grinding them.
This. Real is dominant on top and lightning quick from nuetral. He really does seem to toy with his food sometimes, but never seems to be in danger of losing the close matches. Really wish he would work more for takedowns and turns early in matches though to remove all doubt. It is almost like he wants to work on his conditioning in some matches. It is odd to watch him coast sometimes with as good as he is.

He does not look to be in any danger of losing even in the one score matches. Alot of his close matches are dictated by what the ref believes is stalling or is not. Id have to go back and look but think it is safe to say that there may be a total of 1-2 shots for takedown all year against him other than in the last 30 seconds of his matches.
And that’s where he needs improvement, imo. He needs to initiate offense rather than waiting to counter an opponent down by 2 points. He might get the win either way, but we need bonus points where we can get them this season, imo.

This. Real is dominant on top and lightning quick from nuetral. He really does seem to toy with his food sometimes, but never seems to be in danger of losing the close matches. Really wish he would work more for takedowns and turns early in matches though to remove all doubt. It is almost like he wants to work on his conditioning in some matches. It is odd to watch him coast sometimes with as good as he is.
I didn't think he was in any real danger against Echemendia... until he was. A 2 or 3 point lead late is no longer safe and he needs to adapt his game to avoid those situations.

He hasn’t had many matches yet this year but his match against ISU very well could’ve been a loss already. I agree with you that normally he looks like he’s in complete control of his one score matches but he looked beatable in that match.

I get Teske hasn't lit the world on fire, but I don't understand the Schriever optimism. You guys remember they had an open competition last year and it was won pretty soundly by Teske right? He has one career quality win over Biscoglia.

It's been half a decade since he looked like an elite prospect and he's always hurt.

Grass isn't always greener.

He hasn’t had many matches yet this year but his match against ISU very well could’ve been a loss already. I agree with you that normally he looks like he’s in complete control of his one score matches but he looked beatable in that match.
When you allow someone to hand around with a shot to beat you, sometimes that is exactly what will happen. I just hope for Woods' sake this hard lesson is learned sooner rather than later.

I get Teske hasn't lit the world on fire, but I don't understand the Schriever optimism. You guys remember they had an open competition last year and it was won pretty soundly by Teske right? He has one career quality win over Biscoglia.

It's been half a decade since he looked like an elite prospect and he's always hurt.

Grass isn't always greener.
I think he was dealing with an injury last year. It seems he is always dealing with an injury. In all honesty if both Teske and Cullan were 100% healthy I would probably slightly lean Schriever. I'm pretty sure he had a couple quality freestyle wins also. Did he beat Colaocco last summer? I think Cullan and Brody are very close in what they would score a nationals for team points.

I know he’s not wrestling but, you know what i keep thinking about? Toeing the line with a hungry, chip on his shoulder, Gabe Arnold. Then, if you happen to look past him, you see two brands brothers staring you down. That’s a whole lotta f*** that in one arena.

I know he’s not wrestling but, you know what i keep thinking about? Toeing the line with a hungry, chip on his shoulder, Gabe Arnold. Then, if you happen to look past him, you see two brands brothers staring you down. That’s a whole lotta f*** that in one arena.
Just wait till there’s 3 new sports cars flexing at you and grinning from ear to ear.

I think he was dealing with an injury last year. It seems he is always dealing with an injury. In all honesty if both Teske and Cullan were 100% healthy I would probably slightly lean Schriever. I'm pretty sure he had a couple quality freestyle wins also. Did he beat Colaocco last summer? I think Cullan and Brody are very close in what they would score a nationals for team points.
This.

Tony Ramos's senoir season should be Real's model going forward. He'll have to go 100% every match and quit looking like he's trending water waiting for the tournament. From what I've seen so far, he is not going to get his title. Too many tough hungry wrestlers at 141.

Remember how much effort Montell Marion put into his senior season? Montell flat out should had had a title.

Reactions: el dub
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT