ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Files Paperwork to Host Baseball Regional

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
http://www.press-citizen.com/story/...ional-rick-heller-duane-banks-field/70908724/

The University of Iowa has never hosted an NCAA baseball regional, but proper paperwork has been filed to make that an official possibility.

Whether it happens will likely depend on the Hawkeyes' win column.

"That would be a really big deal, not only for our program, but for the school in general to host a baseball regional," Iowa second-year coach Rick Heller said. "Something that maybe nobody would have ever thought in their wildest dreams would happen."

As Iowa racked up wins to start the season, Heller went to his boss, associate athletic director Fred Mims, to make sure the school would apply with the NCAA to be one of 16 regional hosts in the 64-team postseason tournament.

It was a proactive move, considering Iowa has only been in the NCAA Tournament three times — in 1972, 1975 and 1990 — in its 116-year history.

"We're rolling as if it's going to happen, so that we're prepared to do a great job with it when it does," Heller said. "Our administration's been really tremendous."

One of the biggest question marks about Iowa's ability to host is seating capacity at refurbished Duane Banks Field.
http://www.hawkcentral.com/story/sp...-gang-life-en-route-university-iowa/26242503/
Iowa announced its April 26 crowd of 2,506 against Nebraska as a sellout. More temporary bleachers are being brought in for this weekend's final regular-season home series against Minnesota. Heller said for regional purposes, the stadium could accommodate about 3,200 fans, including standing-room only areas down the baselines.

Iowa is playing in its first season with a turf field and giant video board in the outfield.

"The actual playing facility is as good as anybody out there, and the amenities that we have in Iowa City — the hotels, the stuff for workouts in the football building, the other things that we have — it's really conducive to hosting a regional," Heller said. "We'd probably end up selling out, which is great, but ... the only downfall is our venue's not crazy-big. But there will be people that host regionals with the same size ballpark as ours."

The website D1baseball.com moved Iowa into a No. 1 seed in its postseason projections released Wednesday, with the Hawkeyes hosting a regional with Southern California, Notre Dame and Central Michigan. The winner of each regional advances to a two-team super regional, and the final eight advance to the College World Series in Omaha, Neb.

"To play at home in a regional is a big deal," Heller said. "It gives you a huge advantage. It gives you more of a chance to get to the super regional, no question about it."

http://www.hawkcentral.com/story/sp...t-volunteer-assistant-iowa-hawkeyes/26644943/
For Iowa to be home when regional play begins May 29 will require more success. The Hawkeyes bring a No. 15 national ranking, an RPI of 26 and a 34-12 overall record (15-3 in the Big Ten Conference) into the Minnesota series, which starts at 6:05 p.m. Friday. The Hawkeyes finish Big Ten play next week at Rutgers and have already clinched a spot in the May 20-24 conference tournament in Minneapolis.

The NCAA Selection Show is May 25.

"The biggest factor in us getting it," Heller said, "is how well we play down the stretch."

FORECASTING REGIONAL SITES

D1baseball.com has Iowa pegged as a No. 1 seed in its latest NCAA regional projections. A look at that website's outlook:

Projected regional hosts: LSU, UCLA, Texas A&M, Louisville, Illinois, Vanderbilt, Florida State, Dallas Baptist, TCU, Florida, Florida Atlantic, Miami (Fla.), Iowa, Arizona State, Oklahoma State, Missouri State.

Iowa City projected seeds: (1) Iowa, (2) Southern California, (3) Notre Dame, (4) Central Michigan.

I like how they were on the ball with this one and put in for it earlier. With that being said, a lot can change and I just want to make a regional. USC and Notre Dame would be tough teams to have in Iowa City.

I like how they were on the ball with this one and put in for it earlier. With that being said, a lot can change and I just want to make a regional. USC and Notre Dame would be tough teams to have in Iowa City.

It would be great for Iowa to host. Another milestone in a season full of them.

That said, we all know that Banks Field is a huge problem. It has always been a glorified rec league field (and without Cal Eldred, it would even be a step beneath that without permanent lights)--a reasonable enough place to take in a ballgame, but with the recent success of the program suddenly shining the spotlight a whole lot brighter on its numerous deficiencies. When you look at what schools like Nebraska can showcase for their prospects, it really makes what Heller has accomplished that much more impressive. I somehow doubt that hearing "THAT's another Hawkeye Tee-Shirt!" played over the cheesy Eisenhower Administration sound system at Banks was by itself enough to sway recruits to the benefits of attending Iowa.

FBnBb4Life, you've been around this board for as long as I can remember, back when the only reason to be a Hawkeye baseball fan was that you might get a free pencil if you returned a foul ball to the press box during game time. :) Is there anything even on the horizon in terms of possibly building a new baseball stadium on the west side of campus? I don't think anyone expects a college baseball cathedral or on Mormon Trek...but surely we could build a better facility than Banks Field, right? Or am I dreaming?

It would be great for Iowa to host. Another milestone in a season full of them.

That said, we all know that Banks Field is a huge problem. It has always been a glorified rec league field (and without Cal Eldred, it would even be a step beneath that without permanent lights)--a reasonable enough place to take in a ballgame, but with the recent success of the program suddenly shining the spotlight a whole lot brighter on its numerous deficiencies. When you look at what schools like Nebraska can showcase for their prospects, it really makes what Heller has accomplished that much more impressive. I somehow doubt that hearing "THAT's another Hawkeye Tee-Shirt!" played over the cheesy Eisenhower Administration sound system at Banks was by itself enough to sway recruits to the benefits of attending Iowa.

FBnBb4Life, you've been around this board for as long as I can remember, back when the only reason to be a Hawkeye baseball fan was that you might get a free pencil if you returned a foul ball to the press box during game time. :) Is there anything even on the horizon in terms of possibly building a new baseball stadium on the west side of campus? I don't think anyone expects a college baseball cathedral or on Mormon Trek...but surely we could build a better facility than Banks Field, right? Or am I dreaming?

They're in the process of renovating Banks Field. The next phase calls for completely new seating and a new pressbox. As far as I know, there are no plans for a new location in the foreseeable future.

http://www.hawkeyesports.com/facilities/iowa-banks-field.html

Reactions: Senor Martinez
I'm not FB, but I believe the plan is to essentially build a new stadium up around Banks field. Considering the success of the team, I believe that be likely.

Everything I have heard is already known on here. Heller wanted a commitment before he took the job and was guaranteed there would be. It started with phase 1 and 2 which was the field turf, new wall, video board. I also believe the permanent indoor batting cages and practice facility were a part of that? I could be wrong though. The next phase is bleacher/press box area. I've heard 3-4K number being tossed out there as size. Personally I think 2-2.5K with stadium seating as opposed to bleachers would be great. We will see what happens. I have no doubts that once the bleachers/press box are complete that we will have one of the better, if not best campus stadium in the B1G.

Iowa doesn't have the luxury of sharing a stadium with a minor league team like some of our B1G counterparts.

You guys that think Banks is bad, you should have seen where UNI was playing before they kllled their program. The outfield had waves...

Reactions: 3boysmom
Did they play at Riverfront or on campus?

And I don't think anyone would say the surface at Banks is bad, simply the seating may not be up to hosting standards.

I don't post outside of the lounge very often, but due to the team's success this topic seems to be one of interest lately.

Coach Heller likes the current location of Banks Field. With the new indoor hitting facility next door and over $1-million in renovations with the new turf and scoreboard, the idea of moving the stadium to the edge of west campus is no longer being discussed. The program is looking for a premier donor to help get the third and final phase of renovation started. Right now they are at least 2 years away from beginning construction.

Coach has said he wants 3,000-3,500 seating capacity to qualify for hosting regionals in the future. The idea to have box seating in the center section (like they have now) and what's commonly called plaza seating (bleachers with backs) down both the first and third base sides. Upgraded concessions and restrooms would be included as well as a 2-story pressbox--with the first level to be suites. It would be a rough combination of Nebraska's and Purdue's stadiums. Nebraska and Penn State share their facilities with minor league teams, but once built I think Iowa would be the best "true college" stadium in the Big Ten.

Leiserom--Horner Stadium at DBU seats 2-thousand, but has a much better/bigger pressbox and other facilities mentioned above. If Iowa were to host, administration will have to bring in portable toilets and at least one more temporary concession stand. They would also have to place several newspaper writers and probably at least one (if not two) radio crews outside in the bleachers. Setting up extra power sources and phone lines in an uncovered environment is somewhat problematic.

Row and 2 Bagger--Riverfront Stadium was where UNI played....a very below average facility (and ironically where Coach Heller almost died trying to do maintenance).

While writers like Eric Sorenson and Kendall Rogers are very well respected covering college baseball, but remember--They are taking educated guesses....just like Joe Lunardi does for men's basketball prior to selection Sunday. If Iowa does host a regional, I think it would be tremendous. But I have seen enough regional bias over the last 3 decades toward southern and western programs that it would not surprise me if Iowa were not awarded a host site.

Right now where ever Iowa plays, just making a regional in Coach Heller's second season would be nothing short of impressive. His name should be included for national coach of the year.

Thank you non-poster. I figured when they did the previous turf replacement a few years ago that probably meant the intent was for Banks to remain in use, despite its proximity to football and UIHC.

If the NCAA deemed the seating at Banks Field not regional worthy, is there any reason why Iowa couldn't host in Cedar Rapids, Davenport, or Des Moines? Obviously is those teams were home I realize they could not. However, when Purdue hosted their regional a few years back it was in Gary and other teams have done the same.

Good question 4life. From what I've been told, the issue with that is the cost of the venue (rental charges, the pay for staff, etc.)

I don't know what/or even if the people in Gary charged Purdue/the NCAA that year for use of their facilities. I will ask a couple people in the know and see what they say.

You would think that if Iowa hosted a regional at Principal Park, they would easily cover their costs. They would get big numbers for that I bet. Of course, the timing with the I-Cubs schedule would have to work out as well.

You would think that if Iowa hosted a regional at Principal Park, they would easily cover their costs. They would get big numbers for that I bet. Of course, the timing with the I-Cubs schedule would have to work out as well.

Count me as one who would go to any and all Hawkeye games at Principal Park.

Talked to some administrators at both Purdue and Iowa over the weekend. This is what I was told....

The NCAA demands a flat fee to host a regionals/superregionals. The figure hinted to me was between 50-60 thousand dollars. In Purdue's case they had the extra cost of having to rent the stadium when they played off campus. I don't know who picked up the cost of staffing. If a host university doesn't meet the NCAA minimum, they have to pay it out of their own operating budget.

I have no idea if The Kernels or ICubs would be willing to work with Iowa, but it didn't sound like that option has been discussed.

Reactions: cigaretteman
Talked to some administrators at both Purdue and Iowa over the weekend. This is what I was told....

The NCAA demands a flat fee to host a regionals/superregionals. The figure hinted to me was between 50-60 thousand dollars. In Purdue's case they had the extra cost of having to rent the stadium when they played off campus. I don't know who picked up the cost of staffing. If a host university doesn't meet the NCAA minimum, they have to pay it out of their own operating budget.

I have no idea if The Kernels or ICubs would be willing to work with Iowa, but it didn't sound like that option has been discussed.

I would imagine the Kernels would. But they are home the weekend of regionals. They hosted the Iowa Conference tournament last week and have done so for several years.

I-Cubs are on the road--but there is a beer fest at their stadium for at least part of that weekend.

Quad Cities is on the road--so that might be possible.

Your stadium should be fine with some temp seats brought in to help. As I look at the list of the possible 64--the teams they could bus to IC probably don't have large traveling fan bases. If they flew in most of the teams again the traveling base would be small. The stadium should do well for the regional.

The bigger concern--if I were looking for a home regional---in the past the committee has had an issue of paying more attention to the finances of travel than to making sure the regionals are balanced and fair to everyone. They don't want too many flights and prefer to bus. So you could end up with Missouri, Bradley, Creighton, Mo State or who knows. I have not looked at matchups to be able to say if that is good or bad for Iowa. It would certainly be a home crowd and that could be good.

I am glad to see Iowa doing well in baseball!! It would be fun to go watch a regional locally!

I'm curious where you could put a significant number of temporary seats, now that the outfield fence is fully padded. For example, that little hillock with the Hawk statue where a few people used to watch no longer has a view of the field.

They can bring in larger portable bleachers and still fit them in the spot where they currently have them down the left field line. Likewise in right field and add roughly another 1000 seats easily. I'm being told the issue isn't just seating, but accommodations as well. The grounds crew has already brought in portable restrooms and another concessions grill....but the pressbox is too small to accommodate the full media contingent that is expected. Especially if a t.v. crew is included. It's one thing to string a power strip to a table setup in the stands for print media, but the phone lines needed for 4 radio crews with 2 having to sit outside, could create a problem. In the end, if Iowa finishes the BIG Tournament in strong fashion I think they will have a decent chance at hosting.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT