ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa-Indiana Baseball Series

Mar 14, 2003
Iowa has their work cut out for them against Indiana this weekend in Iowa City. Iowa lost the series to IU 1-2 last season. Iowa's pitching has been fantastic this year, our offense has been putrid though.

Indiana is #22 in the nation and coming off a weekend sweep against Penn State. They do play #10 Louisville on Wednesday who they have already beat once this year. Indiana also took 2/3 from Florida, 2/3 from Georgia Southern, and beat Coastal Carolina once. Their third loss came from UCONN. Indiana hits .315 as a team and has some power with 14 homeruns on the year. Their weekend rotation has ERA's of 1.37, 1.53, and 2.51.

I think if Iowa can go 1-2 against Indiana they should feel good about themselves. I think Matt Dermody gives Iowa the best chance to win and will continue to do that all year. I like him on Saturday though because Iowa's offense doesn't produce enough to move him to Friday against another Friday starter.

Indiana is tough because Tracy Smith and his staff routinely outcoach and out-recruit the rest of the B1G. Their offensive numbers are off the charts again this year. They've got seven players hitting .300 or better and Schwarber is hitting an astronomical .425 despite playing one of the toughest schedules in the country. Looking at this series I'd love if the Hawks can take one game, two would be quite a feat. For whatever reason, they seem to shift gears when playing tough competition so I'd expect any losses to be hard fought. I think Kuebel uses the weekend as a great opportunity, similar to the way he did last year. If you look at his career numbers, Sasha competes against the big dogs. Now, he has been down the last few starts but I think he can find himself this weekend.

Is Kuebel even going to start this weekend? He had a rough outing vs UNO and then did not pitch against Northwestern. Iowa started Hibbing instead who pitched well. I'd like to know the formula Smith has used at Indiana. I remember six years ago Iowa sweeping a four game series against Indiana. We've had success since then, but Indiana has gradually become a power into what they are this year and were last year.

If Iowa is going to be successful in Big Ten play they need strong starts from Sasha Kuebel and Matt Dermody. At this point I'd say go with Mathews or Hibbing on Sunday. I like Ricky Sandquist as he is a good kid, but I am not sold on his numbers yet this year. He changed his pitching style a bit and has a very low ERA so far. His first three years were a struggle, I'd like to see him get some midweek starts and weekend relief before I form a conclusion.

We should have taken the series last year but Sunday's game was ugly. I don't know if Sasha will start but I expect him to have a little edge if he does. Regarding Sandquist, he has pitched very, very well in relief but certainly got touched up in his last start. As a guy who has come out of relief quite a bit it might simply be a case of being overworked. Hibbing and Mathews will certainly compete for the Sunday spot assuming Sasha pitches but otherwise you'd have to think they'll both start.

I like Goodman in the 2 slot but I understand your desire to have him in the middle. Zeutenhorst has really come on the last month and I think he should be in the middle as well. Brand is a nice guy to have in the bottom of the order due to his ability to get on base. I swear he seems to get hit by a pitch once a game.

Iowa-IU series is now Sat-Sun-Mon, whats the deal with our field? Looks like 51 and sunny on Friday and a 60% chance of rain on Saturday.

Iowa's pitching line up for this weekend appears to be Dermody, Hanse, and Hibbing. Any idea on whats going on with Sasha Kuebel?

Originally posted by IowaHa...B4Life:
Iowa's pitching line up for this weekend appears to be Dermody, Hanse, and Hibbing. Any idea on whats going on with Sasha Kuebel?

He's a "healthy scratch".
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

Iowa loses game one 16-5, Dermody got roughed up going 5+ giving up 15 hits and 7 earned runs. I thought leaving him out for the 6th was too long as he gave up 3 runs on 0 outs before being pulled, but it wouldn't have mattered in the end as Indiana's offense is unreal.

Iowa did have a 5-4 lead early on, but our offense is not good enough to put up many more runs than that against average or better pitching which is sad.

An Indiana sweep is looking more and more likely. Amazing how time flies, five-six years ago Iowa swept Indiana 4 games to 0 and now they are dominating Iowa. I think Dahm's best days are behind him.

Iowa could be 1-5 with Nebraska coming up and out of the BTT before they know what happened.

Originally posted by 2bagger22:

He's a "healthy scratch".
Posted from wireless.rivals.com
I'd like to know what that means...

Well it appears he's throwing right now. Interesting.

Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

Iowa gets swept this weekend losing a doubleheader today 9-6 and 6-4 to Indiana. Iowa is now 1-5 in the Big Ten with a midweek game against Western Illinois on Tuesday and a home series against Nebraska this weekend. Nebby is 5-1 in Big Ten play as they swept Northwestern. Trevor Kenyon had a nice weekend offensively so it'd be nice to see him in the lineup.

Pitching wise I have no idea what the heck Iowa is doing. Our lineup needs to be Kuebel, Dermody, and TBA IMO. I honestly think Taylor Kaufman is our third if not second best pitcher on the team behind Matt Dermody this year. Kaufman started in HS and was all-state. I think he could start at the college level. Kuebel has had some struggles this year, but I still think he is one of our best options to win.

However, I am with the above I think we've seen the best we are going to get from Jack Dahm. I think there are better options out there for Iowa coaching wise. Look at what Tracy Smith has done at Indiana, five years ago Iowa was sweeping them 4-0 to splitting to losing series to now getting swept and Indiana is a top 20 team that is 22-3 and has won series vs the likes of Florida and is 2-0 vs Louisville who is Top 10.

I'd like to know how Dahm can recruit so well according to classes being ranked by Baseball America, but have such poor results. One year? I can see that, but for him to have TWO good seasons in the past 10 years.

I will add that Indiana decided to put money into the baseball program too and a new baseball stadium that was supposed to open this year. I don't expect Iowa to put money into baseball or softball at this point. Hell they just recently put it into a new basketball practice facility.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT