ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa sees 105% increase in fentanyl pill seizures in 2023

If you want to take illegal drugs, roll the dice and it comes up snake eyes ( fentanyl ), adios MF. Quick death or slowly drain the taxpayers for rehab, crime, healthcare and of course end up homeless along the river. Just die now and let all that wasted tax money help rebuild our roads and bridges. Go cry to Rudolph...

Wide open borders; like elections, have consequences.........

Thanks, jo
Fentanyl is smuggled into the the United States by Americans through legal crossings. It makes no sense for asylum seekers to smuggle drugs they are subject to significantly more scrutiny than Americans crossing the board and have less control of their movements. They are not reliable to get the drugs to market.

https://www.cato.org/blog/fentanyl-smuggled-us-citizens-us-citizens-not-asylum-seekers

Fentanyl is smuggled into the the United States by Americans through legal crossings. It makes no sense for asylum seekers to smuggle drugs they are subject to significantly more scrutiny than Americans crossing the board and have less control of their movements. They are not reliable to get the drugs to market.

https://www.cato.org/blog/fentanyl-smuggled-us-citizens-us-citizens-not-asylum-seekers
Well if you say so...because I have no doubt you're an expert! Since you are an expert, would you say a tightly secured border would enhance or hinder the influx of illegal drugs into America?

Well if you say so...because I have no doubt you're an expert! Since you are an expert, would you say a tightly secured border would enhance or hinder the influx of illegal drugs into America?
I didn't say so. This is the data. I linked it for you.

The data suggests cracking down on asylum seekers would have little to no effect on fentanyl. If your enhanced security is focused on more scrutiny of legal public and commercial traffic then I suppose this might make it more difficult for drugs to enter. Although this also would have significant costs both in terms of implementing the security and in the delays in shipments for commercial products.

I didn't say so. This is the data. I linked it for you.

The data suggests cracking down on asylum seekers would have little to no effect on fentanyl. If your enhanced security is focused on more scrutiny of legal public and commercial traffic then I suppose this might make it more difficult for drugs to enter. Although this also would have significant costs both in terms of implementing the security and in the delays in shipments for commercial products.
You've convinced me!! Leave the borders wide open...allow every person in the world claiming "asylum" in and do nothing but blame US citizens and the problem(s) will just go away!! Question though: Assume your spin is true and 100% of the mules are good old US citizens--ugly Americans--trying make filthy money. Would it be easier or harder to cross the border with drugs if there wasn't the confusion of thousands of "asylum seekers" flooding across our imaginary border every day and night?

LOL at people thinking illegals are the main threat here. A single gram of fentanyl has a street value of ~$150. That means a pound of pure fentanyl is worth…$68,038.

You don’t think citizens crossing the border or people arriving by plane are bringing in the majority of fentanyl? Hell, you could take a five star cruise, get off for a port stop and smuggle a bunch of fentanyl without a problem.

Illegal border crossings are a major issue in their own right, but you have to solve for demand if you want the fentanyl problem to go away. It’s too lightweight, valuable and easy to smuggle.

The Biden Administration's disastrous border policies have a real impact.

I love expert takes. Which part of the border policy can directly be attributed to the fentanyl increase? Be specific.

Does that mean there's more fentanyl here or that more of the available fentanyl is being seized? Bad statistics are bad...

Reactions: THE_DEVIL
You've convinced me!! Leave the borders wide open...allow every person in the world claiming "asylum" in and do nothing but blame US citizens and the problem(s) will just go away!! Question though: Assume your spin is true and 100% of the mules are good old US citizens--ugly Americans--trying make filthy money. Would it be easier or harder to cross the border with drugs if there wasn't the confusion of thousands of "asylum seekers" flooding across our imaginary border every day and night?
I disagree with leaving the borders wide open.

Americans are largely responsible for their drug problem. China and Mexico are involved in manufacturing it but they only do so because Americans are willing to pay for the product. I did not say 100% of drug smugglers are American. The data says 86% are American citizens.

If border patrol could focus on increasing surveillance of legal traffic they may be able to reduce flow of drugs, however fentanyl is particularly difficult to detect.

If you are really interested in addressing the fentanyl issue you need to address the root cause of demand. In terms of asylum I would suggest developing legal avenues for asylum seekers to work to address our labor shortages and for our government to collect taxes would be a better strategy. More broadly I would like to see the means of production shift from China and Asia to central America. The Chinese are facing a demographic collapse somebody will need to pick up that production. I think Mexico and Central America would be ideal for the United States.

Reactions: THE_DEVIL

FUNFACT: MOST drugs do not come "over the border"; they come straight through checkpoints and through airports.

Reactions: SocraticIshmael

For being so well read , you would know the flow of Fentayl is vastly from China.

So either your trolling blaming it on the border or maybe not as smart or well read as you claim

Reactions: Tom Paris
  • Haha
Reactions: Joes Place
CBP data also shows illicit fentanyl smuggling is increasing, and that most of the fentanyl seized by the Border Patrol and OFO is coming across the southern border. Border officials seized 4,600 pounds of fentanyl along the southern border in 2020, a number that skyrocketed to 26,700 pounds in FY 2023 – a 480 percent increase. Most of the fentanyl seized by the two agencies in FY 2023, about 98.9 percent (26,700 out of 27,000 pounds), was seized at the southern border.

https://immigrationforum.org/articl...ed 4,600 pounds,seized at the southern border.

CBP data also shows illicit fentanyl smuggling is increasing, and that most of the fentanyl seized by the Border Patrol and OFO is coming across the southern border. Border officials seized 4,600 pounds of fentanyl along the southern border in 2020, a number that skyrocketed to 26,700 pounds in FY 2023 – a 480 percent increase. Most of the fentanyl seized by the two agencies in FY 2023, about 98.9 percent (26,700 out of 27,000 pounds), was seized at the southern border.

https://immigrationforum.org/article/illicit-fentanyl-and-drug-smuggling-at-the-u-s-mexico-border-an-overview/#:~:text=Border officials seized 4,600 pounds,seized at the southern border.
Measuring against 2020 is dumb. It is dumb when the right compares gas prices and when the left compares job numbers. Don’t you agree?

It is seized at legal border crossings, idiot.

Minisoda says, "Hold my beer," with the dunce responsible:

“This crisis is exacerbated by the open-border policies of the Biden Administration, which have failed to adequately secure our borders and prevent the influx of illegal drugs into our communities. Unfortunately, our Democrat representatives — including Sen. Amy Klobuchar and Congresswoman Angie Craig — have done nothing to hold the Biden Administration accountable or curb this deadly epidemic plaguing their state.”

Because it's just falling from the sky?

Fentanyl Is Smuggled for U.S. Citizens By U.S. Citizens, Not Asylum Seekers​

Fentanyl overdoses tragically caused tens of thousands of preventable deaths last year. Many politicians who want to end U.S. asylum law claim that immigrants crossing the border illegally are responsible. An NPR‐Ipsos poll last week found that 39 percent of Americans and 60 percent of Republicans believe, “Most of the fentanyl entering the U.S. is smuggled in by unauthorized migrants crossing the border illegally.” A more accurate summary is that fentanyl is overwhelmingly smuggled by U.S. citizens almost entirely for U.S. citizen consumers.

Here are facts:

• Fentanyl smuggling is ultimately funded by U.S. consumers who pay for illicit opioids: nearly 99 percent of whom are U.S. citizens.
  • In 2021, U.S. citizens were 86.3 percent of convicted fentanyl drug traffickers—ten times greater than convictions of illegal immigrants for the same offense.
  • Over 90 percent of fentanyl seizures occur at legal crossing points or interior vehicle checkpoints, not on illegal migration routes, so U.S. citizens (who are subject to less scrutiny) when crossing legally are the best smugglers.
  • The location of smuggling makes sense because hard drugs at ports of entry are about 97 percent less likely to be stopped than are people crossing illegally between them.
  • Just 0.02 percent of the people arrested by Border Patrol for crossing illegally possessed any fentanyl whatsoever.
  • The government exacerbated the problem by banning most legal cross border traffic in 2020 and 2021, accelerating a switch to fentanyl (the easiest‐to‐conceal drug).
  • During the travel restrictions, fentanyl seizures at ports quadrupled from fiscal year 2019 to 2021. Fentanyl went from a third of combined heroin and fentanyl seizures to over 90 percent.
  • Annual deaths from fentanyl nearly doubled from 2019 to 2021 after the government banned most travel (and asylum).

Reactions: SocraticIshmael
Because it's just falling from the sky?

U.S. Citizen Consumers Fund Fentanyl Smuggling

U.S. consumer payments for illicit opioids ultimately fund fentanyl smuggling. Consumers pay retail dealers who pay wholesalers
, and the cash is then transferred back in bulk cash form to Mexico. These funds are then used to pay smugglers to bring drugs back into the United States again. The best evidence indicates that about 99 percent of U.S. consumers of fentanyl (or products containing fentanyl) are U.S. citizens.https://www.cato.org/blog/fentanyl-smuggled-us-citizens-us-citizens-not-asylum-seekers#_edn1 Noncitizens appear to be about 80 percent less likely to be fentanyl consumers than their share of the population would predict. Fentanyl smuggling is almost entirely conducted on behalf of U.S. citizen consumers.

• Haha
Reactions: Here_4_a_Day
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT