ADVERTISEMENT

**Iowa vs Missouri State Take 2 - Survive and Advance**

Mar 14, 2003
Iowa loses and we're done, we win and we get to do it again on Monday!

I have no idea who Iowa will throw, I say go with Nick Gallagher. We need him to step up at some point.

7:05pm

Iowa wins and they play again on Monday, we lose and that's a wrap on the 2015 campaign.

Iowa is going to need someone to step up in the pitching department and give us some of their best stuff. We have guys like Nick Gallagher, Tyler Radtke, Josh Martsching, Connor Grant, and even Jared Mandel. We might need all of them tonight. All of them have been really good at times and struggled mightily at times. If we could get a 2014 outing from Tyler Radtke he could provide Iowa a boost.

One thing is for sure, the offense will need to help out the pitching. Our pitchers likely won't be able to hold Mo State to 1 or 2 runs, which is all our offense is putting together at the moment.

Grant only last 1/3 of an inning. Hit one and walked two. Nick Hibbing came in and got a fly out and a K. Iowa is down 1-0, which isn't terrible all things considered. Grant really struggled with his command the last half of the season and today was no different.

Down 1-0 after 6. MSU with zero hits and five walks. Hawks one hit, one walk.

Just unbelievable that Iowa has no hit Missouri State so far and we are looking at a loss. Our offense has been BAD the whole post season. I would argue worse than it was in the regular season.

Hibbing's day: 8.2IP, 1 H, 3 BB, 11K, 0 R.
actually he only pitched 5.2 innings the runner is his, just hope Heller didn't leave his top relief pitcher in to long as it looked like his arm was bothering him. yes I know lose and the season is over but there are other pitchers on the team.

actually he only pitched 5.2 innings the runner is his, just hope Heller didn't leave his top relief pitcher in to long as it looked like his arm was bothering him. yes I know lose and the season is over but there are other pitchers on the team.

he pitched three innings against Oregon today- that's where 8.2 comes from. I agree Heller left him in too long though

Nick Hibbing's pitching on Sunday was the best an Iowa pitcher has pitched probably since Jarred Hippen threw a complete game one hitter vs Minnesota in 2011. That game still pisses me off as Minnesota had one triple and a sac fly and Iowa had eight hits....Iowa lost that game 1-0

Hippens line that day was 8 innings pitched, 1 hit, 1 ER, 0 walks and he lost

Nick Hibbing's pitching on Sunday was the best an Iowa pitcher has pitched probably since Jarred Hippen threw a complete game one hitter vs Minnesota in 2011. That game still pisses me off as Minnesota had one triple and a sac fly and Iowa had eight hits....Iowa lost that game 1-0

Hippens line that day was 8 innings pitched, 1 hit, 1 ER, 0 walks and he lost

Oh my, I had forgotten about that game. Cold as hell and it lasted about two hours. Hibbing's performance was more dominant in my opinion.

This was a disappointing way to end it, no doubt. But Ol' Doodle hopes this is just the tip of the iceberg. Perhaps this will spur recruiting---which was already probably better than any of us could or should have expected given our unremarkable baseball history---to even greater heights. And hopefully it gets the attention of some boppers who welcome the opportunity to wear the black and gold and be the big bat future teams rely on.

Offensive punch was undoubtedly our most glaring weakness this year. If our success ends up carrying some clout with young men looking for a chance to play baseball the right way, win, and have fun, then we just may have witnessed the birth of a consistent winner playing an exciting, hard-nosed, fundamentally-sound brand of baseball that all of us can appreciate and enjoy.

Yeah our offense was somewhat of a let down this year, especially when we had bases loaded with 1 out or less. I am not sure what happened when you consider we led the B1G in a lot of hitting categories last season. I know we lost Yacinich who was good offensively as well as Zeutenhorst who only hit .240-.250 but he was a homerun threat.

I am quite interested to see which juniors get drafted and go and then try and piece together what our lineup/rotation could look like.

Super Regional matchups

Maryland (42-22) at Virginia (37-22)
Missouri State (48-10) at Arkansas (38-22)
Virginia Commonwealth (40-23) at Miami (FL) (47-15)
Florida State (44-19) at Florida (47-16)

Louisiana-Lafayette (44-19) at LSU (51-10)
Texas A&M (49-12) at Texas Christian (47-12)
Vanderbilt (45-19) at Illinois (50-8)
Cal State-Fullerton (37-22) at Louisville (46-16)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT